Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Driskel NOT on the PS?
Just a look at his stats and nobody is going to grab the guy.  I'm sure we were quite high on the claiming list and we got him.  So what gives?  Why not stash him on the PS and bring back Dawson or someone else like Ryan Brown?

Not sure I understand the thinking.  Does he have to stay on the 53 man roster one week after we claim him perhaps?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:08 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Just a look at his stats and nobody is going to grab the guy.  I'm sure we were quite high on the claiming list and we got him.  So what gives?  Why not stash him on the PS and bring back Dawson or someone else like Ryan Brown?

Not sure I understand the thinking.  Does he have to stay on the 53 man roster one week after we claim him perhaps?

I don't have time to look up the quote from Marvin, but I thought he said that Driskel is on the 53 man "for now" but that could change soon.  
Reply/Quote
It would be a dick move to claim him, not pay him, waive him and then expect him to sign to the PS. He'll at least get a week of 53 man roster pay. That's basically just a way to bully him into the PS without giving him the opportunity to look at other teams.

I know you have to keep a player you sign from an opponent's PS on the roster for a few weeks. I don't know if there are any rules regarding players claimed off waivers but it would make sense for something to be in place so teams don't abuse it (claim players you don't intend to keep just to screw opponents, claim players just to cut them without paying them etc.)

We'd also need to have someone we want to fill the spot with immediately, I think we are waiting until after week 1 to pick up a vet. Whoever takes Driskel's place obviously won't be active on Sunday.
Reply/Quote
Poor move to claim a guy off waivers, and immediately cut him to try to stick him on your PS, and probably wouldn't work.

Once week 2 or so rolls around, look for him to get cut again and put on the PS because at that point other teams have their rosters made, their PS made, so it'd be easier to slip him in.

Either that, or maybe they're getting some serious interest in McCarron? Maybe the 49ers want to upgrade from Blaine Gabbert? Right now their depth chart is Blaine Gabbert, Colin Kapernick, and Christian Ponder. Lol... or maybe the Colts know something about Luck that they're not saying openly, but have inquired about McCarron. (Luck is limited with a throwing shoulder on the Injury Report right now.)

Obviously the most likely reason is the first one, but always keep your head on a swivel for the second one.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Poor move to claim a guy off waivers, and immediately cut him to try to stick him on your PS, and probably wouldn't work.

Once week 2 or so rolls around, look for him to get cut again and put on the PS because at that point other teams have their rosters made, their PS made, so it'd be easier to slip him in.

Either that, or maybe they're getting some serious interest in McCarron? Maybe the 49ers want to upgrade from Blaine Gabbert? Right now their depth chart is Blaine Gabbert, Colin Kapernick, and Christian Ponder. Lol... or maybe the Colts know something about Luck that they're not saying openly, but have inquired about McCarron. (Luck is limited with a throwing shoulder on the Injury Report right now.)

Obviously the most likely reason is the first one, but always keep your head on a swivel for the second one.

Hue has been stock piling draft picks in order to work a blockbuster for AJMC. He is secretly still an agent for the Bengals. The Bowns fans will be pissed when he ships all those picks to Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:08 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Just a look at his stats and nobody is going to grab the guy.  I'm sure we were quite high on the claiming list and we got him.  So what gives?  Why not stash him on the PS and bring back Dawson or someone else like Ryan Brown?

Not sure I understanId the thinking.  Does he have to stay on the 53 man roster one week after we claim him perhaps?

If no team gives him a spot on their 53, he'll sign a PS contract with the Niners.  What the Bengals did was the only way to get him to come here.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 12:10 AM)Toy Cannon Wrote: If no team gives him a spot on their 53, he'll sign a PS contract with the Niners.  What the Bengals did was the only way to get him to come here.

I thought as much.  I guess we now know that no one will claim Dawson now!  (Is that a good thing???)
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote

He was playing with 4th string wrs on the 49ers, They dont have 1st string wrs. The stats dont matter they like what they see from him and he is being groomed as an ajm replacement. They love his mesurables especially his speed. If they see things like this other people do as well sthey will probably keep him on. Another thought is they are teaching dawson a lesson there is only one ps position left they want it for dawson.
Reply/Quote
Claiming him on the 53 was the only way to get the prospect into Cincy. He would have most likely taken a spot on the 9ers PS if we would have just offered him one here.

Its a bummer because if we would have waited a week we could have gotten Garrett Grayson who I thought was a better prospect.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:45 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Hue has been stock piling draft picks in order to work a blockbuster for AJMC. He is secretly still an agent for the Bengals. The Bowns fans will be pissed when he ships all those picks to Cincinnati.

I think you're right, if Hue stays with the Browns, AJ is going to be a Brown soon.  Which sucks because I am not looking forward to playing him twice a year. 
Reply/Quote
He'll be switched out when Burflict comes back (logically).

Reply/Quote

when you claim someone off waivers they have to stay on your 53 man roster for 3 weeks I believe.. at which point he will go to PS and vontaze will be back
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 09:50 AM)jeremydc Wrote: He'll be switched out when Burflict comes back (logically).

Thats what I figured, possibly even earlier depending on if we have any other injuries. Or maybe even in a couple weeks we bring Dawson up, and then replace him with Burfict a week later.
Reply/Quote
We can't just "move" Driskoll to the PS. We have to release him and then try to re-sign him. Maybe there is another team that Driskoll would want to sign with if we release him.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 11:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We can't just "move" Driskoll to the PS.  We have to release him and then try to re-sign him.  Maybe there is another team that Driskoll would want to sign with if we release him.

no but it will probly be much easier week 2 or 3 after everyone else has filled their PS rosters.
Reply/Quote
You have to sign a player to your active roster to poach them off another team's practice squad. I should know because I'm the Bengals' owner in Madden 17 and that's how we roll.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 11:41 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: no but it will probly be much easier week 2 or 3 after everyone else has filled their PS rosters.

Agree, but if he is on our practice squad when another team loses a QB he could be signed away.

Honestly I like that we made a move to get a QB that our coaches like better than Wenning, but I would not lose a lot sleep if Driskoll went to another team.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 12:10 AM)Toy Cannon Wrote: If no team gives him a spot on their 53, he'll sign a PS contract with the Niners.  What the Bengals did was the only way to get him to come here.

It's not a guarantee that the 49ers sign him on the PS. Once you clear waivers, you can sign with any team that offers you a PS spot. Usually players have already settled in their city so that's why they settle for the PS. However, remember Dez Briscoe. We waived him with the intention of putting him on the PS. He cleared waivers, but he opted to go to the Bucs PS instead of ours (for more money of course).
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 09:38 AM)OnlyBengalsFanInTown Wrote: I think you're right, if Hue stays with the Browns, AJ is going to be a Brown soon.  Which sucks because I am not looking forward to playing him twice a year. 

Not for two more years, as MB will not trade him in the division while he is under contract.

If RG3 isn't the answer this year, ownership won't tolerate bypassing a QB in the draft to wait one more year and sign McCarrion in FA.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:45 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Hue has been stock piling draft picks in order to work a blockbuster for AJMC. He is secretly still an agent for the Bengals. The Bowns fans will be pissed when he ships all those picks to Cincinnati.

We aren't trading AJM to the Browns or anyone else during the season. And we don't trade within the division hardly ever. The Bengals front office has seen what has happened in Dallas and Minnesota and they know a good backup QB is something they want on the team.

Driskel was picked up so that the team to see if he might be able to replace AJM next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote