Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Gio not RB1?
I know this is going to be an unpopular take...but why isn't Gio this teams RB1?

He's a veteran and has been playing lights out since Mixon got hurt. He's good in the pass game and is a great runner.

Gio barely got touches when Mixon was the lead guy. Why does Mixon automatically get put into the lead back role?

Im not saying give every touch to Gio and exclude Mixon...but Gio needs more touches. At least a 50/50 split.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I know this is going to be an unpopular take...but why isn't Gio this teams RB1?

He's a veteran and has been playing lights out since Mixon got hurt. He's good in the pass game and is a great runner.

Gio barely got touches when Mixon was the lead guy. Why does Mixon automatically get put into the lead back role?

Im not saying give every touch to Gio and exclude Mixon...but Gio needs more touches. At least a 50/50 split.

Because Mixon is better. He can do everything Gio can, and has more explosion. Bigger guy with potential to break more tackles and make big plays. 

I LOVE Gio, but he is a guy who can only juke, instead of just breaking tackles. D lineman can just jump on him and he'll go down. Saw it myself a few times yesterday. Mixon has power AND speed. 
Reply/Quote
Durability? Have to limit the amount of hits on him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What an awful problem to have...
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I know this is going to be an unpopular take...but why isn't Gio this teams RB1?

Mixon is just better. It’s simple. Gio is awesome, and can start on many teams. I definitely think they should use Gio more even when Mixon is back. I’d love to see them on he field at the same time frequently.
Reply/Quote
As said Mixon is better. Having said that I am very happy that Gio is on the team.
Reply/Quote
1. He just can't carry the load like that. Mixon had 38 carries in 2 starts. Gio has 27 carries in his 2 starts. Small sample size, but you're just not going to see 20+ totes out of Gio very often.

2. Mixon is the more talented player. There was at least two times last night where Gio ran into a brick wall, and I thought to myself "I've seen Mixon change direction and bounce way outside when that happens. Mixon has more power to bust through, and more speed to change direction like that.

Gio is a good player and I'm happy to have him. He's just not that rock that you can ride all game though...and that's okay.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Gio is a great, outstanding, spell back 10-12 touches a game but that's it, Long Term

And he can fill in a game here and there we're lucky to have him.

But Mixon is better all the way around
Reply/Quote
I know I'd sure love to see some 2 back sets when Joe returns.....

Mixon is a more complete player, but Gio can do some things he can't.  Gio is just a smaller guy, and cannot withstand the entire season at 20 or carries a game.  We have a good problem to have in our backfield....I hope they give Gio a few more touches when Mixon comes back....but Joe is the bell cow.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:09 PM)thillan Wrote: Because Mixon is better. He can do everything Gio can, and has more explosion. Bigger guy with potential to break more tackles and make big plays. 

I LOVE Gio, but he is a guy who can only juke, instead of just breaking tackles. D lineman can just jump on him and he'll go down. Saw it myself a few times yesterday. Mixon has power AND speed. 

Yeah, i love Gio too, but Mixon is off the charts talented. Have to give him the chance to be the best.

He could be, that is how off the charts Mixon's talent is. Big, fast, moves, great hands, vision, burst, great stiff arm, has it all.
Reply/Quote
We tried the split with Hill and Gio. It didn't really work for either player.

I think RB is just like QB where there's a certain rhythm required. Obviously, RB it is less required because they need to breath and rest after so many plays/routes (like any skill position player). But I'm much more comfortably with Mixon running and Gio spelling him for specially designed plays or for breathers. Trying to have two RB1s was a really bad idea in the past and I'm glad they're not returning to that strategy.
Reply/Quote
I think last year they talked about having one back take most of the snaps some running backs play better when they take20 to 25 snaps or so a game. Gio has just been used when Mixon needed a breather and we still wanted to run the ball or a screen. Gio is not big enough to take the pounding over a full year so he could not be that RB1. Gio is a good back and very productive but we need Mixon taking the bulk of the snaps as many have said he has the better chance of breaking the long runs. As well as his body is built better to take the pounding the RB position has to take. Gio has had a long career with us and he will be here for awhile longer lots of RB are out of the league after 5 years or so. We need a solid back up guy that can come in and not miss a beat if Mixon goes down for a few games we have that with Gio. We only have one ball to spread around so many touches a game with Boyd starting to produce and Ross coming on a bit they are checking the ball down less to the backs which is a good thing.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:51 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: We tried the split with Hill and Gio. It didn't really work for either player.

I think RB is just like QB where there's a certain rhythm required. Obviously, RB it is less required because they need to breath and rest after so many plays/routes (like any skill position player). But I'm much more comfortably with Mixon running and Gio spelling him for specially designed plays or for breathers. Trying to have two RB1s was a really bad idea in the past and I'm glad they're not returning to that strategy.

I agree, all sounds well and good but in the end it is not reality.

Mixon is the starter as he should be with Gio spelling him.

Gio is a great back to have and is a starter anywhere else pretty much. Great problem to have as Wedge said. Pretty much lol
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i love Gio too, but Mixon is off the charts talented. Have to give him the chance to be the best.

He could be, that is how off the charts Mixon's talent is. Big, fast, moves, great hands, vision, burst, great stiff arm, has it all.

Agreed. I was mentioning before the season that I think Mixon can be in the Gurley, Bell, Kamara tier. AJ Green has said it more than a few times itself. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:04 PM)thillan Wrote: Agreed. I was mentioning before the season that I think Mixon can be in the Gurley, Bell, Kamara tier. AJ Green has said it more than a few times itself. 

I think he could be better than those guys, that is how talented i think Mixon is.

He is faster than Gurley, smarter than Bell, bigger and stronger than Kamara.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think he could be better than those guys, that is how talented i think Mixon is.

Not to mention, at this point in time, he seems to be a 'team player' AND looks UP to AJ Green, which can help keep him in check.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:15 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Not to mention, at this point in time, he seems to be a 'team player' AND looks UP to AJ Green, which can help keep him in check.

Yeah, he was pumped up on the sideline man. Loves being a Bengal which is what you need to have a great team.

Have to be a family. I am seeing it come together. We were looking for that evidence of this team making a run either
this year or next, i think we just saw it. When players are hurt on the sideline but still in the game rooting for their brothers
there is something special brewing.
Reply/Quote
I think Mixon should be the main back, and I am big Gio fan.

At the same time, I equally think the Bengals need to think outside their box in getting Gio more involved when Mixon is the main back. Just because he is listed as a RB, doesn't mean he should always be used as one with his receiving and open space skills he has.

The play below was 5 years ago. This is what Gio was capable of. Yet the Bengals over the years never thought outside the box in using him when instead they kept plugging Jeremy Runs in Straight Line Hill out there instead. So when I and others have said they under utilize Gio, it doesn't mean not under-using him as a running back, but under utilizing his skill set.

[Image: giovanni-bernard-is-just-ridiculous-a.gif?w=640]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think he could be better than those guys, that is how talented i think Mixon is.

A potato is smarter than Bell..... LMAO
Reply/Quote
Folks that are saying Joe is better are just assuming; there has been nothing in the past toy show Mixon is a better NFL RB. This season their number are very similar and last year Gio's were much better.

Did someone actually say Mixon because of durability?

Personally I don't care who's the starter; I just hope we use them both and that Joe can remain healthy.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote