Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Gio not RB1?
(10-01-2018, 04:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks that are saying Joe is better are just assuming; there has been nothing in the past toy show Mixon is a better NFL RB. This season their number are very similar and last year Gio's were much better.

Did someone actually say Mixon because of durability?

Personally I don't care who's the starter; I just hope we use them both and that Joe can remain healthy.

Why do you constantly talk about Mixon as if he is fragile? He missed 3 games last season, and didn't miss any games his 2 years at Oklahoma. He's only been out due to concussion and an ankle.

Gio has torn his ACL twice (one in college, once in NFL), 2 concussions, and a few smaller hip and knee injuries. 

What am I missing here?

I don't think it's speculation btw. Part of the RB position is to have a build that's able to handle punishment and break tackles. Joe combines all the physical tools with a build that is able to handle the rigors of the position.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 04:59 PM)thillan Wrote: Why do you constantly talk about Mixon as if he is fragile? He missed 3 games last season, and didn't miss any games his 2 years at Oklahoma. He's only been out due to concussion and an ankle.

Gio has torn his ACL twice (one in college, once in NFL), 2 concussions, and a few smaller hip and knee injuries. 

What am I missing here?

I don't think it's speculation btw. Part of the RB position is to have a build that's able to handle punishment and break tackles. Joe combines all the physical tools with a build that is able to handle the rigors of the position.

Didn't talk about Mixon being fragile, just thought it funny that someone pointed to durability as an asset. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I know this is going to be an unpopular take...but why isn't Gio this teams RB1?

He's a veteran and has been playing lights out since Mixon got hurt. He's good in the pass game and is a great runner.

Gio barely got touches when Mixon was the lead guy. Why does Mixon automatically get put into the lead back role?

Im not saying give every touch to Gio and exclude Mixon...but Gio needs more touches. At least a 50/50 split.

gio does need to be used more... have them both on the field some plays... but mixon has been doing well in his own right.

Wonder what gio would have done the last 2 games with price
Reply/Quote
It matters very little to me who is designated the starter. Mixon will run better on some teams, and I suspect Gio will run better on others. I'm just glad to have to damn fine running backs....
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:09 PM)thillan Wrote: Because Mixon is better. He can do everything Gio can, and has more explosion. Bigger guy with potential to break more tackles and make big plays. 

I LOVE Gio, but he is a guy who can only juke, instead of just breaking tackles. D lineman can just jump on him and he'll go down. Saw it myself a few times yesterday. Mixon has power AND speed. 

(10-01-2018, 01:11 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Durability?  Have to limit the amount of hits on him.

(10-01-2018, 01:26 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Mixon is just better. It’s simple. Gio is awesome, and can start on many teams. I definitely think they should use Gio more even when Mixon is back. I’d love to see them on he field at the same time frequently.

(10-01-2018, 01:35 PM)brian5562 Wrote: As said Mixon is better. Having said that I am very happy that Gio is on the team.

(10-01-2018, 01:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. He just can't carry the load like that. Mixon had 38 carries in 2 starts. Gio has 27 carries in his 2 starts. Small sample size, but you're just not going to see 20+ totes out of Gio very often.

2. Mixon is the more talented player. There was at least two times last night where Gio ran into a brick wall, and I thought to myself "I've seen Mixon change direction and bounce way outside when that happens. Mixon has more power to bust through, and more speed to change direction like that.

Gio is a good player and I'm happy to have him. He's just not that rock that you can ride all game though...and that's okay.

(10-01-2018, 01:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Gio is a great, outstanding, spell back 10-12 touches a game but that's it, Long Term

And he can fill in a game here and there we're lucky to have him.

But Mixon is better all the way around

(10-01-2018, 01:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: I know I'd sure love to see some 2 back sets when Joe returns.....

Mixon is a more complete player, but Gio can do some things he can't.  Gio is just a smaller guy, and cannot withstand the entire season at 20 or carries a game.  We have a good problem to have in our backfield....I hope they give Gio a few more touches when Mixon comes back....but Joe is the bell cow.

I agree with all of these. 

Reply/Quote
Love Gio and do not see how anybody could not. Maximum effort every single time out and loads of talent.

Mixon is still better when healthy though and has an unbelievable ceiling.

Yet we need them both getting touches to be the best we can be.

Like someone earlier stated, what a great problem to have.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Hey, with both Gio and Mixon on the field at the same time we could have the play action hand off to one or the other . I don't know that Andy has the right slight of hand skills needed to pull it off, but imagine the defense biting on the first back coming across the line while the one who actually has the ball goes entirely untouched 99 yards for the score! 
Sounds good in theory, eh? I have a hunch it would be a disaster before the ball is ever snapped though .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Gio was tried as the bell cow back one year and it didn't work out..He's not built for and cannot take that kind of beating over the course of a full season.
Reply/Quote
Well, Gio is old now, that's one thing going against him for sure. He's done well staying healthy for a position that is not very long in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I think Mixon should be the main back, and I am big Gio fan.

At the same time, I equally think the Bengals need to think outside their box in getting Gio more involved when Mixon is the main back. Just because he is listed as a RB, doesn't mean he should always be used as one with his receiving and open space skills he has.

The play below was 5 years ago. This is what Gio was capable of. Yet the Bengals over the years never thought outside the box in using him when instead they kept plugging Jeremy Runs in Straight Line Hill out there instead. So when I and others have said they under utilize Gio, it doesn't mean not under-using him as a running back, but under utilizing his skill set.

[Image: giovanni-bernard-is-just-ridiculous-a.gif?w=640]

That was an awesome run no doubt Millhouse, reps.

(10-01-2018, 03:53 PM)sandwedge Wrote: A potato is smarter than Bell..... LMAO

No doubt. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 09:22 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Well, Gio is old now, that's one thing going against him for sure. He's done well staying healthy for a position that is not very long in the NFL.

He's 26...almost 27. That's not old even by RB standards. Especially considering he's never really shouldered the load.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is hurt but I have a feeling he will be way more durable in the long run than Gio. Gio goes #1 for 1 game and is out for the next.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Gio is a great, outstanding, spell back 10-12 touches a game but that's it, Long Term

And he can fill in a game here and there we're lucky to have him.

But Mixon is better all the way around

Someone really needs to explain this term, spell back.  I'd be happy to teach anyone how to spell back.. Bee, Aye, See, Kay.. 
Alright, that's out of the way.. I just don't quite get the usage in context.. Somehow I get the gut feeling it's just a made up phrase to appear like whoever is using it seem like they're saying something profound.. 
Nothing personal bengalfan74.. You're not the first person I've ever picked on for no good reason.. lol

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 11:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's 26...almost 27. That's not old even by RB standards. Especially considering he's never really shouldered the load.

I remember when I was 26, going on 27.. I was fully prepared to retire and never have to work again. Unfortunately I was just a cab driver at the time and not quite rich enough . Dammit!  Cry

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 01:08 PM)grampahol Wrote: I remember when I was 26, going on 27.. I was fully prepared to retire and never have to work again. Unfortunately I was just a cab driver at the time and not quite rich enough . Dammit!  Cry

Shoot, I wish we could all retire at that age. My back and knees would certainly feel better.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is better, but it isn't like he is miles better than Gio. Gio is a very good NFL back. Mixon is larger and has more power while retaining elusiveness and break away speed. He can take the punishment of a long NFL season better, which is why he will receive the majority of the carries. They are likely going to be 1A-1B, as they both have great vision, patience and quickness. They can both receive and block very well.
Reply/Quote