Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Peko still on the team?
Peko won't be going anywhere. Marvin and Co love what he does for the locker room.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2015, 04:38 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Peko won't be going anywhere. Marvin and Co love what he does for the locker room.

Yep, they've said it repeatedly. Rock On
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just a hunch, but i think the Bengals would have taken Jordan Phillips the last draft in round 2, but he went 1 pick earlier to the Dolphins.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2015, 09:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  I have no idea because it is impossible to analyze an individual with a team stats like this.  If RBs are getting to the second level by getting around the edge then it has zero to do with Peko.

2.  This does show that the Bengals struggled with run defense up the middle.  I will admit that.  However I would bet that there are some tams ranked low in average allowed up the middle who have good NT/DTs because most runs up the middle include a double team at the the point of attack.

I am not trying to argue that Peko is an elite DT/NT, but he is FAR from the bottom of the league like PFF tries to claim.  I remember when  you posted the entire list of PFF rankings and it included some back ups in the top 15.  PFF does a good job of keeping raw stats, but their rankings per play are very subjective and questionable at best.

What are you doing? This post goes against every 'Fred stereotype' out there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Peko is still on the team because the team is currently better with Peko on it. The real question is why is he still starting?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 10:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Peko is still on the team because the team is currently better with Peko on it. The real question is why is he still starting?

I have a hunch, maybe because the DL coach and the head coach feel he deserves to start. They watch him every practice, every weight session, every defensive meeting while most of watch him play only on Sundays for the most part.

Do fans think our coach's goal is to lose games?

I think he is not designed due to size to be on the field as much as he was in 2014. I will trust the opinion of the experts who see him daily.

As I stated earlier, we gain nothing by cutting Peko right now that we won't gain (loss of salary) if we cut him on the final cut down. I will respect the coaching staff's decision if they cut him in early September to save the team $3.7 million, if they get him to take a pay cut or just keep him at the current salary. I know a lot of injuries happen in pre-season so it makes no sense to cut him until we are through pre-season.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 10:12 PM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: That, and not asking hall to restructure his contract were two head scratching moves from the Bengals this offseason.

Peko will make 3.7 million and was one of the worst DTS in the game last year. PFF had him in the bottom 5% of the league, so I wonder what the thought process in keeping him here was.

Hall...is in jeopardy of losing his job.  Had the Bengals asked him to take a 50% pay cut or he'd be released, he would have taken the 3.8 million for the season.  He never would have received more than that if he were cut.

Instead hall is going to be making 7.7 million and Peko 3.7.  I see that as a waste of 7.5 million. Nick Fairley was signed for 5 million.

I'm asking cause I honestly see no value in how they played both players final year in stripes

Hopefully Sims makes him expendable cause we did not draft a NT to replace Peko.

Which was one of the few things i did not like about our draft. Peko has been clearly falling off for years.

As of right now though, Sims has to outplay Peko which i do not find too far fetched.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 02:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Peko has been clearly falling off for years.

No he hasn't.

Until last year he was consistently one of the key pieces in one of the best D-lines in the league.  he was alwasys among the leagu leaders in tackles by an interior lineman, and Mike Zimmer praised him as the bets NT he had ever coached.

The criticism Peko has gotten around here for years is the same that Justin Smith did.  It came form people who were not very good at evaluating D-line talent.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 04:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he hasn't.

Until last year he was consistently one of the key pieces in one of the best D-lines in the league.  he was alwasys among the leagu leaders in tackles by an interior lineman, and Mike Zimmer praised him as the bets NT he had ever coached.

The criticism Peko has gotten around here for years is the same that Justin Smith did.  It came form people who were not very good at evaluating D-line talent.

We always disagree on Peko Fred i know. I have just always found him to be a one trick pony.

He was a fine run stopper a few years back and he can take up space which is most of what a NT should do.

I also remember the Zim comment too. Seemed like crazy high praise for a NT that cannot get into the backfield often.

I know that is not the job of a NT specifically but i want a big DT that is not a one trick pony and Domata at his best is just that.

I won't comment on the Justin Smith dealio, no relevance. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote