Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Trump doubling down on racism?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/politics/donald-trump-black-lives-matter-confederate-race/index.html

Trump spent the last week tweeting digital wanted posters of people, mostly of color, who tore down Confederate statues.

He then went after attempts to rename buildings named after known racists.

He resorted to dog whistle politics and warned of “chaos” and the suburbs not being great if fair housing regulations aimed at decreasing segregation are allowed to continue.

He tweeted a video of a supporter yelling “white power”.

His latest move was calling “black lives matter” painted on the road by NYC a “symbol of hate”, a phrase he won’t use for confederate relics.

Why is Trump doubling down on overt racism? Does he think this is a winning strategy?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-02-2020, 03:05 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/politics/donald-trump-black-lives-matter-confederate-race/index.html

Trump spent the last week tweeting digital wanted posters of people, mostly of color, who tore down Confederate statues.

He resorted to dog whistle politics and warned of “chaos” and the suburbs not being great if fair housing regulations aimed at decreasing segregation are allowed to continue.

His latest move was calling “black lives matter” painted on the road by NYC a “symbol of hate”, a phrase he won’t use for confederate relics.

Why is Trump doubling down on overt racism? Does he think this is a winning strategy?

It was the foundation for his success in the first run. For whatever reason, those with that mindset jumped on the trump train. I never really understood why as he hadn't said anything to indicate he was racist. With his numbers fading, maybe he thinks that segment needs solidified?
(07-02-2020, 03:05 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/politics/donald-trump-black-lives-matter-confederate-race/index.html

That's not going to be "overt" racism to many Americans.  I know someone who doesn't want black people living near him but is sure that is not "racist."

He knows that the majority of the US is white. Is it possible that he really believes such divisive tactics will force enough white votes?

He has seen his poll numbers falling, and despite all the clamor about fake polling and threats to Fox and CNN, he knows what those numbers mean. His handlers certainly do. He has had opportunities to salvage his presidency this year, but he has taken the wrong turn almost every time, and likely against the advice of his handlers. 

My guess: knowing he will win even less of the popular vote this time around, his one hope is to motivate his demographic(s), making sure they don't just attend rallies and post on Facebook, but actually vote. If he has still got the bright red states, maybe voter turnout will bring home the battle ground states.

The Right Wing News machine appears to have his back here, churning out story after story of riots, looting, and defunded police departments. (Could "THEY" be taking over"?    Shocked Twitch)

I think as we get closer to election, attempts to keep the more numerous Biden supporters home will complement the division and fear. That tactic produced the margin of victory in the last election.  I don't think it will this time, as so many previous independents and undecides now know it matters who is president, but Trump hopes it will, and he's pulling out all the stops.
(07-02-2020, 03:27 AM)Benton Wrote: It was the foundation for his success in the first run. For whatever reason, those with that mindset jumped on the trump train. I never really understood why as he hadn't said anything to indicate he was racist. With his numbers fading, maybe he thinks that segment needs solidified?

Xenophobia was a winning strategy and has been a big strategy for the GOP for years, but he was careful not to blow the dog whistle for anti-black racism.

He's got an airhorn now, though. Pro-confederacy, anti-BLM. 

(07-02-2020, 03:36 AM)Dill Wrote: That's not going to be "overt" racism to many Americans.  I know someone who doesn't want black people living near him but is sure that is not "racist."

He knows that the majority of the US is white. Is it possible that he really believes such divisive tactics will force enough white votes?

He has seen his poll numbers falling, and despite all the clamor about fake polling and threats to Fox and CNN, he knows what those numbers mean. His handlers certainly do. He has had opportunities to salvage his presidency this year, but he has taken the wrong turn almost every time, and likely against the advice of his handlers. 

My guess is that, knowing he will win even less of the popular vote this time around, his final chance is to motivate his demographic(s), make sure they don't just attend rallies and post on Facebook, but actually vote. He hopes has still got the bright red states and can win the battleground states this way--by turning out more voters in those demographics.

The Right Wing News machine appears to have his back here, churning out story after story of riots, looting, and defunded police departments.

Could "THEY" be taking over"?  

I think as we get closer to election this will combine with attempts to keep the more numerous Biden supporters home. That tactic produced the margin of victory in the last election.  I don't think it will this time, as so many people now it matters who is president, but that's what Trump hopes.

As one Biden advisor said yesterday, Trump is currently running a "a flailing, losing campaign". It certainly looks to be off the rails, even relative to 2016, but all it takes is 100,000 apathetic voters to swing an election. 

(07-02-2020, 03:27 AM)Benton Wrote: It was the foundation for his success in the first run. For whatever reason, those with that mindset jumped on the trump train. I never really understood why as he hadn't said anything to indicate he was racist. With his numbers fading, maybe he thinks that segment needs solidified?

Targeting ethnic groups with blanket labels like "rapist" and promising to ban one entirely from immigrating could be indices thereof.

Anyway, let's look at Trump's campaign promises through the "mindset" you reference above:

Suppose you lead a White Supremacist group. Most politicians will not acknowledge you, but like most Americans, you would like to use your vote and your organization to support policies you want.  And you want a whiter America, ultimately an all white one. You are DAMN TIRED of liberal reverse racism and BLM. You want WHITE law and order.

Further, White Identity movements tend also to be Masculine identity movements, anti-feminist and misogynist, protecting white womanhood.

So which policies and which politicians do you want to support? Which will attract you? To you, normal Republican establishment types harping about human rights and supporting women candidates for president look little different than Communist Democrats. One of the Bush bros. even married a Mexican. Why bother voting if those are you choices?

But then comes a guy who promises a wall on the Southern Border and a Muslim ban. A guy whose rhetoric seems like yours, utterly devoid of empathy for the suffering which drives brown immigrants north.  The first politician to publicly call other politicians wives ugly and put down uppity bitches "bleeding from wherever" like Megan Kelly on national tv. He took out a full page NYT add to call for the death penalty of five POC accused of murder, and wouldn't change HIS verdict of them even after DNA evidence had exonerated them.

You don't want the 3rd Bush or Hillary--But you definitely want THAT guy, even if he cannot openly support you.
(07-02-2020, 03:52 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: As one Biden advisor said yesterday, Trump is currently running a "a flailing, losing campaign". It certainly looks to be off the rails, even relative to 2016, but all it takes is 100,000 apathetic voters to swing an election. 

And more desperation and flailing to come, as Trump must counter

1) evidence of the increasingly successful fight against the Cornonavirus in countries that took the science seriously, at the same time as

2) Trump must brush off the hardest "hoax" to dismiss so far--the Russian bounties on US lives.

Over the next month he will be forced to address both failures of his duty to protect simultaneously.

HOAX--The numbers are good--HOAX--the numbers are good--HOAX--the numbers are good.

These are not the last scandals before the election, either.

If Biden doesn't have a stroke, he should be fine.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Why has Drumpf doubled down on racism?

Simple.

It’s the only thing he’s naturally good at.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Is Trump a racist?

Are we to go off what he says or what he does?!?!?

Just kidding...he's a racist.  That's why he's using racism.  He doesn't know any different.

He has shown, repteadly and constantly, that he has no idea about policy so he falls back on riling people up in his base.  They'll defend every one of his statements and moves.  Just wait for it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
(07-02-2020, 08:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: Is Trump a racist?

Are we to go off what he says or what he does?!?!?

Just kidding...he's a racist.  That's why he's using racism.  He doesn't know any different.

He has shown, repteadly and constantly, that he has no idea about policy so he falls back on riling people up in his base.  They'll defend every one of his statements and moves.  Just wait for it.

His base will defend him no matter what he says...yet he continues to say things that put American lives at risk from covid and he keeps saying divisive and hateful stuff...I don't get it.  I don't see why he doesn't try to broaden his appeal since he already has the racists.  He's just alienating the moderates, isn't he? 
(07-02-2020, 09:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: His base will defend him no matter what he says...yet he continues to say things that put American lives at risk from covid and he keeps saying divisive and hateful stuff...I don't get it.  I don't see why he doesn't try to broaden his appeal since he already has the racists.  He's just alienating the moderates, isn't he? 

When you are used to everyone being a yes man you learn to ignore the others.

Anyone who tells him no is a hater or a loser.

He's delusional...but that's not news.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
(07-02-2020, 09:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: When you are used to everyone being a yes man you learn to ignore the others.

Anyone who tells him no is a hater or a loser.

He's delusional...but that's not news.

True.  I've known people who have the belief that everyone who disagrees is an idiot and everyone who says something they don't want to hear is a liar, I just didn't think Trump was quite that far gone. 

If he had a normal life I'd say he shows signs of borderline personality disorder, but such diagnoses and templates are hard to apply to people who exist within such a rare set of circumstances.  
He has vowed to veto any defense spending bill sent his way that requires the removal of Confederate names from US military bases.

(07-02-2020, 10:34 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He has vowed to veto any defense spending bill sent his way that requires the removal of Confederate names from US military bases.

Maybe he's trying to set up some sort of Jonestown style break from the USA if he doesn't win in 2020.  He's certainly striving to be the president for life for that section of the population that still follows him. 
(07-02-2020, 04:28 AM)Dill Wrote: And more desperation and flailing to come, as Trump must counter

1) evidence of the increasingly successful fight against the Cornonavirus in countries that took the science seriously, at the same time as

2) Trump must brush off the hardest "hoax" to dismiss so far--the Russian bounties on US lives.

Over the next month he will be forced to address both failures of his duty to protect simultaneously.

HOAX--The numbers are good--HOAX--the numbers are good--HOAX--the numbers are good.

These are not the last scandals before the election, either.

If Biden doesn't have a stroke, he should be fine.

I think he's also feeling increasingly isolated from GOP leadership that usually blindly defends him. McConnell and McCarthy are pushing for masks, so much that Trump has gone from calling himself a "LONE WARRIOR" on the issue to now saying he's "all for" masks. 

(07-02-2020, 08:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: Just kidding...he's a racist.  That's why he's using racism.  He doesn't know any different.

This.  He has proven it over and over again.  People who say you can't trust a judge of Mexican heritage because of his race are the people who think all white judges should favor all white people.

He really does think most Mexican immigrants are dirty filthy diseased rapists coming here to both steal our jobs and also live off government benefits without working.  

He really does think all Muslims want to destroy America.

He really does believe the Jews are God's chosen race.  

He really does think people from "shithole" countries are inferior to the white people here.  

He really does believe black people get the treatment they deserve from police.

He really believes that the memory of Confederacy (a country literally created on the principle foundation that black people were inferior humans) deserves honor and respect.

And A LOT of people agree with him.  Not a majority, but enough to cause some real problems.
From NYC liberal womanizing elitist to the voice of the downtrodden ultra conservative looking for any scapegoat he can find....what a chameleon.

And the oddest part is the people who think he is a genius and ruthless businessman refuse to believe he's using his magic powers against them. Wacky.
(07-02-2020, 08:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: He has shown, repteadly and constantly, that he has no idea about policy so he falls back on riling people up in his base.  They'll defend every one of his statements and moves.  Just wait for it.

Oh, I agree his only diplomatic talent is pandering to people's fears... But that doesn't necessarily make him a racist.
(07-02-2020, 10:42 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think he's also feeling increasingly isolated from GOP leadership that usually blindly defends him. McConnell and McCarthy are pushing for masks, so much that Trump has gone from calling himself a "LONE WARRIOR" on the issue to now saying he's "all for" masks. 

The Russian Bounty scandal is going to increase this isolation.

Trump is calling the bounty another "hoax" cooked up by the fake news; Congress, including Republican Senators, will eventually have to act in protection of US lives and interests. In many cases, their constituents will back them 100%.

This use of the "hoax" claim may also weaken people's convictions that past applications were genuine, as well.  The repetition and overuse have undermined the effectiveness of that tactic.