Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Trump doubling down on racism?
(07-02-2020, 11:51 AM)Benton Wrote: Oh, I agree his only diplomatic talent is pandering to people's fears... But that doesn't necessarily make him a racist.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Trump is racist because the panders to people's fears. I think they are arguing he is racist because he makes racist comments and behaves like some races are more worthy than others. Just as people argue he is a misogynist because his comments about and treatment of women. His misogyny is also divisive, but I think that misogyny has always been there, not something he discovered while running for office.

Are you saying that at some point in his career, he just recognized that racist statements and behavior got him attention,

and since 2015 he has used them as a tool or tactic to draw votes, not because he really believes that people from "shithole" countries are intrinsically less worthy?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-02-2020, 11:51 AM)Benton Wrote: Oh, I agree his only diplomatic talent is pandering to people's fears... But that doesn't necessarily make him a racist.

Hmm, being unapologetically willing to use racism for your own benefit is a sort of profit-driven racism, in a sense.  I'm not racist, I just sell racism to racists for my own benefit does have a bit of a cynical ring to it, but I'm not sure it is enough of a separation.  In the end you are willingly subjugating or condoning the subjugation of a race or group of people for your own gain.

So I suppose it could be a sort of "I'm not racist, but I deal in racism" sort of situation.  Odd that this is such a notable tactic in the 2020 election, but here we are.  Personally, I think this is a bit unwise from a marketing perspective.  It's easy to demonize muslims and illegals because a lot of people don't have much real-life history with either group but when you go after groups that the average american actually has a frame of reference for like blacks, women, gay people, non-repupublicans, non-Trump fans, then your message starts getting analyzed.

Trump is at risk of becoming a bit of a niche market, and when you are selling expensive cars or watches or other things that have value built into their exclusivity that works.  Trying to get elected on the national level and diving into a very specific brand of people might not be so wise.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]