Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is beating the Steelers such a huge deal?
It shouldn't be. We act like beating the Steelers 1 time is like winning the Super Bowl. That it's like beating some big level boss on a video game that is the gate to a Super Bowl.

Really...it shouldn't be that big. We play them TWICE a year. We should occasionally split with them. You figure, if we win 40% of the time against them that's 2 out of 5. We should win 8 games against them in 10 years.

Of course, we all know how pathetic our record is against them. The players know too. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy where the players put a ton of importance on it and mess the game up somehow.

But...it shouldn't be that important.
Reply/Quote
I disagree that it's not a big deal.

For one, they're usually the front-runners in the division, so it makes a big play in us making the playoffs.

They're also one of the better teams in the AFC, if not the entire NFL.

It also does a lot for our confidence and shows how we can match-up with the better teams in the league.

They've had the lead in the rivalry and we can't make it big in the league if we can't even be the leaders in our division.
Reply/Quote
Same reason Ohio State beating Michigan is a big deal.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Because, when the Bengals first became a team, the Steelers were shit, and the Bengals were a mere "expansion" team. Both teams were on equal footing, so to speak. Into the 70s, both were great teams, with the Steelers having a slightly upper hand, and advancing to Super Bowl wins.

Prior to Mike Brown being in control of the Bengals, we had an almost even record versus the Steelers. Since Mike Brown has been in charge, the Steelers have owned us.

So yes, beating the Steelers means everything.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think it’s a big deal anytime the Bengals beat any good team. Doesn’t happen that often.

Reply/Quote
They're your big brother, farting and holding you under the blankets, putting you in head-locks, and punching you in the face with your own hand while asking why you keep hitting yourself.

Until this team finally rises up and punches those ***** in the mouth and knocks them on their ass, it'll always be a big deal.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Because they and their fans are the worst people in the entire league, combined with being the most favored team by the front office, and it's not even close. People inherently cheer for horrible people to fail. It's human nature, unless you are one of those horrible people.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Local Steelers fans (dont want to say SUCKS). But ya they do
Reply/Quote
As long as the Brown family owns the team, beating the Steelers is the closest thing we'll get to winning a Super Bowl.

Even making the playoffs with frequency, beating the Steelers is still something this team struggles with. It's really a 1 sided rivalry. For the Steelers, they expect to win while the Bengals hope to win. Whenever the Bengals ownership can actually move into this millennium, maybe this can actually become a great rivalry again. Until the Bengals can swing the tide as opposed to being occasionally competitive, this will always be much bigger for the Bengals than the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 08:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think it’s a big deal anytime the Bengals beat any good team. Doesn’t happen that often.

Yeah...but the Bears beat the Steelers and the Bears have 3 wins. Bad teams beat good teams every week in the NFL.

Losing repeatedly to the Steelers is the symptom. Poor management is the root cause. Until the cause is fixed, winning isolated games here and there won't matter.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 08:11 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: They're your big brother, farting and holding you under the blankets, putting you in head-locks, and punching you in the face with your own hand while asking why you keep hitting yourself.

Until this team finally rises up and punches those ***** in the mouth and knocks them on their ass, it'll always be a big deal.

There has been years where we beat the Steelers twice in a season...and it doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Until the Bengals are better managed and coached...it won't matter.
Reply/Quote
Well right now they are a much better team so it’s a big deal. We will see how they are when Ben retires. They won’t ever be terrible for long because they don’t tolerate that like some owners closer to home but they will be more beatable..
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 09:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well right now they are a much better team so it’s a big deal. We will see how they are when Ben retires. They won’t ever be terrible for long because they don’t tolerate that like some owners closer to home but they will be more beatable..

Say we beat them tomorrow night? Does it mean a lot for us?

The Bears beat them...and they have 3 wins.

We SHOULD beat the Steelers nearly once a year. SHOULD.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 09:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Say we beat them tomorrow night? Does it mean a lot for us?

Well if we beat them were in the playoff hunt if not we're done. Also to your original question their our main rivals when you beat your rival it's fun. I don't get how you don't get this do you follow sports or just make threads on this message board about how much the Bengals suck?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 09:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We SHOULD beat the Steelers nearly once a year. SHOULD.

Yet they don't...and especially at PBS. 

The Bengals are 9-28 versus the Steelers since 2000, 3-16 at home

When a division rival who has owned you for the majority of the last 2 decades...beating them becomes a big deal.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 09:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Say we beat them tomorrow night? Does it mean a lot for us?

Oh no it’s not a big deal that way. I agree it shouldn’t be considered a monumental task, but thanks to the current front office it’s quite the rarity.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 09:49 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Well if we beat them were in the playoff hunt if not we're done. Also to your original question their our main rivals when you beat your rival it's fun. I don't get how you don't get this do you follow sports or just make threads on this message board about how much the Bengals suck?

The Steelers are our main rival...but we're not theirs. The Ravens absolutely are. Isn't that interesting.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 09:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yet they don't...and especially at PBS. 

The Bengals are 9-28 versus the Steelers since 2000, 3-16 at home

When a division rival who has owned you for the majority of the last 2 decades...beating them becomes a big deal.

Thus, why we lose to them but beat the Browns. We play loose and confident against the Browns and beat them. Against the Steelers we play tight and make it a huge deal...and lose.
Reply/Quote
The Steelers typically have the better team, so it's not shocking they own us.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
Pittsburgh is the measuring stick and way to often we don't measure up.
Reply/Quote