Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it inhumane
My wife just told me about the step mother who killed her 4 year old step child by more or less boiling him to death.

My question is, why would it be inhumane to execute this woman the same way she murdered her step son?

I know it is and that we shouldn't but this woman and any person who murders a child should feel the pain and terror that their victim felt.

It is my sin that seeks vengeance, I know and am working on it. I am also against the death penalty, but some people deserve it in my opinion. Like I said, it is my sin
I do not see sin in being in favor of the death penalty. Unfortunately man's judgement against man is necessary and temporary. Folks will argue "A Christian cannot be in favor of the death penalty". That is silly, by that logic a Christian could not be in favor of any laws that form society. Why is it "more Christian to favor life imprisonment over capital punishment?

Now the vengeance part is a sin; but not one of us is perfect and we all sin.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
if you're basing it off the moral majority side to our laws, then there's no need to. God will punish her. Our job is only to make sure she doesn't do it again. And there's some that would argue killing her prevents a chance at absolution.

on the other side, the 'hey we're a decent society regardless of your race or religion ' side of things, then we should try to be better than that.
I'm against the death penalty because we are human and we make mistakes. Until we no longer make mistakes, I will be against the death penalty.
I like the idea of drawing a line that separates us from people like her. She earned death, but that is the penalty, and it should be administered as quickly and painlessly as possible. Obviously others would have other lines. Some above mine and some below.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-18-2016, 10:11 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I'm against the death penalty because we are human and we make mistakes. Until we no longer make mistakes, I will be against the death penalty.

So why lock up people who make mistakes? 

From my hometown of Franklin.

Nebuchadnezzer hit the nail on the head. Our criminal justice system is way too flawed to let it make life and death decisions.

The moral question about if it is right or wrong is not even relevant. The fact is that as humans we make way too many mistakes to start deciding who we can kill and who we let live.

Also, if you can stomach torturing another human to death then you are no better then her. I just can't imagine doing that to another human being.
(03-18-2016, 10:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So why lock up people who make mistakes? 

Because if we just lock them up we can let them go if it is proven that we made a mistake.

I know you view yourself as infallible and worthy of deciding who lives and dies.  But most people realize that we all make mistakes.
There are myriad reasons the death penalty in general is rather deplorable and to quote Obi-Wan "so uncivilized."

But suggesting that she suffer the same fate is lowering our standards to her level, which in my eyes is unacceptable.
(03-18-2016, 10:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From my hometown of Franklin.

Nebuchadnezzer hit the nail on the head.  Our criminal justice system is way too flawed to let it make life and death decisions.

The moral question about if it is right or wrong is not even relevant.  The fact is that as humans we make way too many mistakes to start deciding who we can kill and who we let live.

Also, if you can stomach torturing another human to death then you are no better then her.  I just can't imagine doing that to another human being.

This is really it right here. I think we'd all love to see an eye for an eye justice, but we just can't do that  for every reason you mentioned. 

On a side note. Ive read that Subway Jarod has been beaten by another inmate. I've seen a gofundme page where this inmate has received like thousands of dollars. Once word gets around the yard, Jarod is gonna have a tough time going anywhere without getting beaten. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
(03-18-2016, 10:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because if we just lock them up we can let them go if it is proven that we made a mistake.

I know you view yourself as infallible and worthy of deciding who lives and dies.  But most people realize that we all make mistakes.

But what  if it's never proven that we made a mistake?

You cannot help yourself can you? 

Personally, I'm in favor of having a death penalty on the books. But I also believe it needs to be used sparingly and with much consideration. I think it is used far to freely in some places and with reduced consideration merely for political points and to gratify the public. I think a death penalty should only be used after a conviction AND an admission of guilt.

As far as punishing someone in the manner of the crime they committed, I am not for that. There is an inherent hypocrisy in telling society an act is wrong, and then performing that act upon someone. Basically, two wrongs don't make a right. Technically, someone could make an argument (and many do) that even the act of killing another person through the death penalty is hypocritical as you are usually punishing someone for killing someone else by killing them. But I think that is over-generalizing.

The Christian view is that we live in a world which is not equitable or fair in the human sense. No one gets "what they deserve". If they did, in the Christian theology, we would all have to die because we have all sinned against God, etc. That being the case, it is not right for us to entertain these notions of others "getting what they deserved". In the Christian theology, such a requests are interpreted by the Holy Spirit as meaning "I should get what I deserve" instead and forwarded on to God. I'm not sure that this concept is widely understood or preached here in our society, where self-gratification is taught to be a good thing.

Personally, I think an execution should be simple and fast. My preferred method would probably seem barbaric and distasteful to most people: take the convict into a special room where the ceiling is a 10,000 lb weight that is dropped on them, smashing them instantly. In one second, it is all over and you just go in, scrape up the remains and hose off the blood. As some of you may already know, I'm not real reverent about dead bodies. It is just bio-waste to be removed and disposed of, IMAO.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(03-18-2016, 10:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But what  if it's never proven that we made a mistake?

Then the person stays locked up.
Give her a spot in solitary and a pistol with one bullet. Eventually, she'll make the right decision.
Maybe it's just me but life in prison sounds worse then the death penalty. Rotting away in a prison isn't much of a life. If you're in solitary confinement for extended periods of time you'll go through mental torture. At least with the death penalty there is in an end in sight.
(03-18-2016, 10:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then the person stays locked up.

Why punish them by locking them up their whole life if they didn't do it? 

What should we do if someone dies in prison and it is later discovered they didn't do it? 

I wonder how many people who think this woman should be boiled alive would be able to actually watch it happening.

So many people talk a big game when it comes to death and killing.
(03-18-2016, 10:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I wonder how many people who think this woman should be boiled alive would be able to actually watch it happening.  

I'd probably just think of all the innocent lobsters who went through it.
(03-18-2016, 10:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I wonder how many people who think this woman should be boiled alive would be able to actually watch it happening.  

What equates to "talking a big game" about capital punishment? 

I have never felt that I have the right to decide who lives and who dies. To me, life is such a precious gift that even when someone takes it from another, the greatest punishment for that is a lifetime of incarceration. It's my opinion that the death penalty offers the killer the easy way out. Let them spend the rest of their life not being free to live as they wish.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]