Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it inhumane
(03-18-2016, 10:52 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Maybe it's just me but life in prison sounds worse then the death penalty. Rotting away in a prison isn't much of a life. If you're in solitary confinement for extended periods of time you'll go through mental torture. At least with the death penalty there is in an end in sight.

Sounds kind of sadistic when you put it that way. And if it is so much worse, how come almost all people on death row exhaust their appeals?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-18-2016, 11:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Sounds kind of sadistic when you put it that way.  And if it is so much worse, how come almost all people on death row exhaust their appeals?

It's not a right or wrong question. It's a matter of opinion.
(03-18-2016, 11:55 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: It's not a right or wrong question. It's a matter of opinion.

We need to bring back the asylums.  People that would elect to boil a child, need to be in an asylum.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-18-2016, 11:55 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: It's not a right or wrong question. It's a matter of opinion.

I'm not sure what you are referring to?  Which one is worse?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-18-2016, 10:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why punish them by locking them up their whole life if they didn't do it? 

What should we do if someone dies in prison and it is later discovered they didn't do it? 

I don't even understand these questions.  What is your point?

If we kill them and find out we made a mistake we can't correct it.  If they are alive and in jail we can release them. It is pretty simple.  What part of it don't you not understand?

And, please, instead of trying to be clever and answering with more enigmatic questions, just say what you mean.  Your last 5 posts in this thread have been questions.  Why are you so afraid to make a statement?
I think I should have worded the title of the thread differently, but I can't think of anything different so what's done is done.

As you know, I am a Baptist. I go to a KJV Bible preaching church and many in my church, I should say most, are in favor of the Death Penalty but I am not. As I've said, we are human and we make mistakes all the time. There is a possibility that an innocent person could be executed and I can not justify putting anyone to death if one innocent person is put to death.

Then there is the fact that people "Get Saved" while in jail and those who "Get Saved" while on Death Row. Who are we to deny anyone the chance at salvation because our law says that they are to be put to death?

Many Baptist Churches are turning Calvanist and I believe they are turning Calvanist to justify their stance on the Death Penalty among other things. Calvanists believe GOD chooses who gets into Heaven and who goes to Hell. I don't know why they believe this way since it defeats Jesus Christs work on the Cross and his Ressurection. Seriously, if GOD chooses, then why the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for the sins of mankind? It makes no sense but that's a different thread.

My iPad is acting up and when posts get long, it takes a while to type things out for some reason so I'll leave it there.
The only problem i have with eye for an eye is that you have to make somebody do it. We have enough mentally deranged people in our country. I dont want people whose career is torturing maiming and murdering being added to our society.
When I look at punitive situations like this I think of the cost vs. benefit.  Is there any value that anyone gets out of this woman suffering?  What is the point of imprisoning/killing/boiling her?  Is it to stop her activity, or is it meant to equalize some sort of fictitious playing field?  Would boiling her alive "send a message" to other people crazy enough to boil a child alive?  I just don't see how anyone gains anything of value by having this woman suffer.  The point of her punishment should be to ensure that she never does anything to harm innocent people again.

I get you on the capital punishment thing.  The ethics of whether killing someone outright is more humane than a lifetime of incarceration is a whole other ball of wax.  Not sure that I get the "sin" part though.  It's not a sin to think about, is it?(I seriously don't know.  My religion is skepticism)

(03-19-2016, 01:54 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The only problem i have with eye for an eye is that you have to make somebody do it. We have enough mentally deranged people in our country. I dont want people whose career is torturing maiming and murdering being added to our society.

We actually pay people in the CIA to do this.  I believe that they probably do Abu Ghraib and the Barney song on repeat type of stuff waaaaay more often than most people would care to know.  
What would killing her accomplish?

If it was a deterrent, then I would be all for it. But it's not.
--------------------------------------------------------

(03-18-2016, 09:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I do not see sin in being in favor of the death penalty. Unfortunately man's judgement against man is necessary and temporary. Folks will argue "A Christian cannot be in favor of the death penalty". That is silly, by that logic a Christian could not be in favor of any laws that form society. Why is it "more Christian to favor life imprisonment over capital punishment?  

Now the vengeance part is a sin; but not one of us is perfect and we all sin.

It is not silly at all.  If you religion tells you all life is sacred then you don't want to kill anyone for any reason.  Period.  Abortion, war, death penalty...all should be what you are against.  It is not god's law vs man's law.  It is what you believe based on your religion.

(03-18-2016, 10:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why punish them by locking them up their whole life if they didn't do it? 

What should we do if someone dies in prison and it is later discovered they didn't do it? 

Same thing we do now.  Issue an "apology" and probably end up giving money to the survivors.  But we didn't kill another human being for some misguided attempt at "justice".

(03-19-2016, 12:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We need to bring back the asylums.  People that would elect to boil a child, need to be in an asylum.

We definitely need to reinvest in the mental health fields.  Somewhere along the lines (the 80's) we stopped caring about it.  But no privately owned ones please without TREMENDOUS oversight.  To easy to make a problem "go away" if you know the right person to have the problem locked up for being "crazy".

(03-19-2016, 02:34 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: When I look at punitive situations like this I think of the cost vs. benefit.  Is there any value that anyone gets out of this woman suffering?  What is the point of imprisoning/killing/boiling her?  Is it to stop her activity, or is it meant to equalize some sort of fictitious playing field?  Would boiling her alive "send a message" to other people crazy enough to boil a child alive?  I just don't see how anyone gains anything of value by having this woman suffer.  The point of her punishment should be to ensure that she never does anything to harm innocent people again.

I get you on the capital punishment thing.  The ethics of whether killing someone outright is more humane than a lifetime of incarceration is a whole other ball of wax.  Not sure that I get the "sin" part though.  It's not a sin to think about, is it?(I seriously don't know.  My religion is skepticism)

We actually pay people in the CIA to do this.  I believe that they probably do Abu Ghraib and the Barney song on repeat type of stuff waaaaay more often than most people would care to know.  

Agree.  It is just our human sense of wanting vengeance.  It is a base instinct that we have no grown out of yet as a species.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-19-2016, 12:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't even understand these questions.  What is your point?

If we kill them and find out we made a mistake we can't correct it.  If they are alive and in jail we can release them. It is pretty simple.  What part of it don't you not understand?

And, please, instead of trying to be clever and answering with more enigmatic questions, just say what you mean.  Your last 5 posts in this thread have been questions.  Why are you so afraid to make a statement?

The point is that we are a society of rules and we have to trust the rule of law and the judicial system to reach the correct verdict. Are mistakes made? Occasionally. Even if they are released you cannot give them back the time they spent incarcerated.

Obviously the death penalty needs to be reserved for extreme clear cut cases. However we cannot remove it from the books because we might be wrong; because then the next step is we cannot confine them because we might be wrong.

Hopefully I overcame my fear of making a statement. I know how much you frown on someone answering with a question.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-19-2016, 05:27 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: What would killing her accomplish?

If it was a deterrent, then I would be all for it.  But it's not.

What does imprisoning her accomplish?

(Sorry Fred)

(03-19-2016, 10:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What does imprisoning her accomplish?

(Sorry Fred)

Punishment and prevents her from killing any more children.

Seriously man, a 4th grader could answer this question.  What the hell point are you trying to make other than making yourself look stupid.
(03-19-2016, 10:46 AM)bfine32 Wrote:  However we cannot remove it from the books because we might be wrong; because then the next step is we cannot confine them because we might be wrong.

Hilarious LMAO Hilarious LMAO 

Oh, man, that is a good one.  I can play this game to.

Yeah, right, and if we have the death penalty then the next step will be killing the disabled and elderly because they are a burden to society.

Hilarious LMAO LMAO Hilarious
(03-19-2016, 09:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: It is not silly at all.  If you religion tells you all life is sacred then you don't want to kill anyone for any reason.  Period.  Abortion, war, death penalty...all should be what you are against.  It is not god's law vs man's law.  It is what you believe based on your religion.

Same thing we do now.  Issue an "apology" and probably end up giving money to the survivors.  But we didn't kill another human being for some misguided attempt at "justice".

You have me confused with someone that "wants" to kill someone. I am comfortable in my religion and my covictions. Jesus did not stop the Death penalty of the two men than were executed with him. As I believer I am sure he could have stopped this or at least spoken out to the injustice of it.

If you ever want to know what a Christian should believe the most reliable source is an atheist.

(03-19-2016, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Hilarious LMAO Hilarious LMAO 

Oh, man, that is a good one.  I can play this game to.

Yeah, right, and if we have the death penalty then the next step will be killing the disabled and elderly because they are a burden to society.

Hilarious LMAO LMAO Hilarious

I guess if being elderly or disabled were a crime you might have a point; outside of that you just look foolish.

(03-19-2016, 10:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Punishment and prevents her from killing any more children.

Seriously man, a 4th grader could answer this question.  What the hell point are you trying to make other than making yourself look stupid.

Insert answer for the orginal question posed.

The more foolish Fretoast accuses me of being, the more confident I am that i am making a good point.

(03-19-2016, 11:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I guess if being elderly or disabled were a crime you might have a point; outside of that you just look foolish.

Not as foolish as you for suggesting that we will do away with all punishment for crime.
(03-19-2016, 11:01 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Insert answer for the orginal question posed.

Which question was the "original"?  Pretty much every post you have made in this thread is a question.
(03-19-2016, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Which question was the "original"?  Pretty much every post you have made in this thread is a question.

JustWinBaby Wrote:What would killing her accomplish?

If it was a deterrent, then I would be all for it. But it's not.