Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is the running game (or lack thereof) not a hot topic?
I keep seeing posts about Cover 2 and problems with that. I guess it is the hot word of the day.   But the running game has been bad.  I'm not some expert by any means but I feel somewhat confident that a decent running game might open up things for the passing game.  But it seems so far the team can't run the ball either yet it appears the hot topic is not adjusting to cover 2 in the passing game.  And little discussion about how bad the running game has been.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
The running game is so bad it's hard to explain. They should accidentally be able to do better. I don't think Joe is man anymore, and I think he barely was before. I've never seen a back lose virtually all of his one on ones before.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
We haven't had a consistent running game since Rudy

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
if both safeties are playing deep, running the ball shouldnt be this hard
Reply/Quote
Any reason Chris Evans can't be used as a change-of-pace back? Or is his blocking so poor we have to rely on Perine for 3rd downs?
Reply/Quote
Joe Mixon is not really above average at making people miss or breaking tackles. There is nothing really that you look at him and say he does at an elite level which is kind of fascinating. Add is in dysfunction in pass protection and it's why I was highly against paying him. At the very least though he has been healthier than a lot of the other backs from that class that signed their next big contracts.
Reply/Quote
Lack Taylor also has garbage running schemes..... All he knows how to do is run a HB Stretch, a toss sweep, or whatever the hell the backwards straight ahead toss was.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:47 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I keep seeing posts about Cover 2 and problems with that. I guess it is the hot word of the day.   But the running game has been bad.  I'm not some expert by any means but I feel somewhat confident that a decent running game might open up things for the passing game.  But it seems so far the team can't run the ball either yet it appears the hot topic is not adjusting to cover 2 in the passing game.  And little discussion about how bad the running game has been.

If you read the posts in the actual threads it's talked about regularly how the run game is what beats Cover 2 and how we need to do better.....
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 02:17 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Lack Taylor also has garbage running schemes..... All he knows how to do is run a HB Stretch, a toss sweep, or whatever the hell the backwards straight ahead toss was.

I mean Zac Failure is right there.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:55 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Any reason Chris Evans can't be used as a change-of-pace back?  Or is his blocking so poor we have to rely on Perine for 3rd downs?

If you read thru the box scores of damn near most games you'll see a great majority of teams that use multiple backs. Guys that give starters a blow or backs that have a better/different/more varied skill set. Change of pace where the D simply can't continually focus on the same tendencies.

Out of everything I've seen I'm more shocked that Evans has not been playing.
Reply/Quote
The running game should definitely be better.
Collins, Cappa, and Karras are all above-average run blockers.
Volson coming out of college was a better run blocker than pass blocker.
Jonah might be the weakest link in the run game, but he's not bad.

I think a lot of it comes down to playcalling. It's very predictable, especially when playing under center.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The running game should definitely be better.

I think a lot of it comes down to playcalling. It's very predictable, especially when playing under center.

jonah is an above average run blocker. Idk how he's playing this year, but he's always been a good run blocker. Better than his pass blocking.

Volson is the weak link despite his pff grades. I honestly think Volson is throwing Jonah off his game. Just my opinion though
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The running game should definitely be better.

I made a post in another threading breaking down the runs from left, middle, and right. We have as many runs to the left (behind a rookie and Williams) as we do the middle and right combined. Shocking that our average to the left is the worst at like 2ypc. 
Reply/Quote
Steelers and Cowboys have tough front 7s im eager to see if we can get it going this week.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 02:18 PM)TheFan Wrote: If you read the posts in the actual threads it's talked about regularly how the run game is what beats Cover 2 and how we need to do better.....

Thanks.  I don't read every thread.  I have seen some mention the lack of a running game in some threads I have read.  But I guess my point is it seems more like a side discussion in those threads than in my opinion a significant area of concern.  But maybe I missed some thread on the same topic. If so my mistake.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 02:30 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Steelers and Cowboys have tough front 7s im eager to see if we can get it going this week.

Does Dallas really have that strong of a front 7? I mean they have Parsons whos a beast. Barr has been fairly solid but coming off injury. Lawrence is okay but not great by any means. Outside of that they just have some guys. 

Tampa had no problem running all over them.
New England had no problem running on Pitt.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:00 PM)TheFan Wrote: Does Dallas really have that strong of a front 7? I mean they have Parsons whos a beast. Barr has been fairly solid but coming off injury. Lawrence is okay but not great by any means. Outside of that they just have some guys. 

Tampa had no problem running all over them.

on the flipside, Brady was having a hard time throwing on them

due to the pass rush
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:02 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: on the flipside, Brady was having a hard time throwing on them

due to the pass rush

Most of which was due to Parsons
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:05 PM)TheFan Wrote: Most of which was due to Parsons

yes. He's a game wrecker
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:05 PM)TheFan Wrote: Most of which was due to Parsons

People want to ***** and complain about the offense (and its granted to an extent - and I have def bitched and complained) but the Cowboys and Steelers have two of THE BEST defensive players in the league on their teams. 

Prasons and Watt have the ability to wreck games. Maybe that is why our offense has struggled at times. At some point you have to just say their defense and players were better than ours. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote