Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is the team not re-signing its own?
So far we’ve seen Fedj and Dennard sign elsewhere. Reader signing probably means Billings isn’t coming back. There’s been no movement on Vigil or Eifert. Are we seeing the typical new HC wants his own guys, but at a slower Bengalesque pace? Are the players just sick of losing and don’t want to comeback?

Personally I’m fine with not bringing back underperformers or guys that couldn’t help us get over the hump.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So far we’ve seen Fedj and Dennard sign elsewhere. Reader signing probably means Billings isn’t coming back. There’s been no movement on Vigil or Eifert. Are we seeing the typical new HC wants his own guys, but at a slower Bengalesque pace? Are the players just sick of losing and don’t want to comeback?

Personally I’m fine with not bringing back underperformers or guys that couldn’t help us get over the hump.
Haven't heard boo about Eifert or Vigil.

I'd like to see Eifert back.   Hell, he finally got through a full season.  I'm a bit shocked he is getting no interest.  He certainly didn't do anything last year that would have lowered his value.  Hell, Jimmy Graham got eight mil a year.

Would have no problem bringing Vigil back at the right price, even if as a warm body, need a certain number of LB's guy.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Probably because last season's roster went 2-14.
Reply/Quote
I think they are letting Eifert test the market, then will offer him a deal after he gets no other offers. Smart
Reply/Quote
We just went 2-14 and were bad at pretty much everything. Not many players that we really "need" back, frankly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Alot of "their own" were players from Marvin Lewis era.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Only guy I'd want back is vigil now. He was fine defending the pass.

Otherwise everyone else can kick rocks.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:35 PM)McC Wrote: Haven't heard boo about Eifert or Vigil.

I'd like to see Eifert back.   Hell, he finally got through a full season.  I'm a bit shocked he is getting no interest.  He certainly didn't do anything last year that would have lowered his value.  Hell, Jimmy Graham got eight mil a year.

Would have no problem bringing Vigil back at the right price, even if as a warm body, need a certain number of LB's guy.  

Time to move onto chapter II "The Rise Of The Sampler"

We can't have Tyler around dulling up Drew's shine. LOL
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:35 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Only guy I'd want back is vigil now. He was fine defending the pass.

Vigil is kind of like a poor mans Schobert honestly. Not quite in the same league, but similar strengths and weaknesses with run vs pass. Vigil is not bad and plays better with better players around him. We could do much worse than Vig.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:35 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Only guy I'd want back is vigil now. He was fine defending the pass.

(03-18-2020, 02:58 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Vigil is kind of like a poor mans Schobert honestly. Not quite in the same league, but similar strengths and weaknesses with run vs pass. Vigil is not bad and plays better with better players around him. We could do much worse than Vig.

I love how fans have been conditioned to accept mediocrity. We shouldn’t settle for “fine” or “we could do worse”. Now, I’m not sure there’s anybody left in FA at linebacker better than Vigil. Problem with not landing one of top ones, leaves the team with few options. Trade, draft and status quo.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 03:36 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I love how fans have been conditioned to accept mediocrity. We shouldn’t settle for “fine” or “we could do worse”. Now, I’m not sure there’s anybody left in FA at linebacker better than Vigil. Problem with not landing one of top ones, leaves the team with few options. Trade, draft and status quo.

I'm leaning heavily towards getting a LB earlier in the draft. Obviously Murray or Queen if one is there, but there are a few others later in the draft who could come in and upgrade the position. What I hope for is to land Murray, and have Vig back him and Pratt up. Would look way better than Vig starting and guys like Nickerson rotating. Murray is a very good LB who can run sideline to sideline and would further boost the run D right away and is athletic enough to cover.
Reply/Quote
Uhh, FA hasn't even officially started yet; and, there's still over 100 FAs out there.
Guys like Vigil, Billings and Eifert are not Top 100 FA's or day 1 needs for teams like a lot of FA's aren't.
Give it some time folks! Geesh.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 03:44 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm leaning heavily towards getting a LB earlier in the draft. Obviously Murray or Queen if one is there, but there are a few others later in the draft who could come in and upgrade the position. What I hope for is to land Murray, and have Vig back him and Pratt up. Would look way better than Vig starting and guys like Nickerson rotating. Murray is a very good LB who can run sideline to sideline and would further boost the run D right away and is athletic enough to cover.

Agree mostly, definitely hope we can get a good LB at 33. Still don’t want Vigil back. Not sure he would want to be a backup somewhere he used to be a starter.

Not sure Murray will be there at 33, I like Baun out is Wisconsin at 33 if Murray is gone. I’d probably take him over Queen.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So far we’ve seen Fedj and Dennard sign elsewhere. Reader signing probably means Billings isn’t coming back. There’s been no movement on Vigil or Eifert. Are we seeing the typical new HC wants his own guys, but at a slower Bengalesque pace? Are the players just sick of losing and don’t want to comeback?

I was hoping to bring back Billings until Reader was signed. Not sure losing Dennard or Fejedelem is going to make anyone cancel their season tickets.
Reply/Quote
Because...those guys weren't very good?  Eifert is done.  Billings flashed but isn't fit to hold Reader's jock.  Between Fej and Brandon Wilson, the choice is obvious.  Dennard was paid less than I thought he was worth by the Jags, but he's been bitching about "the scheme" holding him down since day one.  
Reply/Quote
Ugh
Reply/Quote
For years we resigned guys we drafted even if there were better guys on the market at the same price. Maybe we've finally learned that when you make a mistake, the real mistake is when you keep making it.
Reply/Quote
Kinda,funny how little demand there is for Vigil.
AKA...he's not really good at all.
Reply/Quote
I’m good with no bringing back our FAs , we went 2-14. We actually need to cut a few of our players.
Reply/Quote

2-14 that's why I hope.
Reply/Quote