Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why is this offense so bad?
For as much talent this offense has...they are awful. Scoring for them is an absolute struggle.

Joe Burrow, Joe Mixon, Jamar Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd...teams would kill for that kind of personal.

This team should be putting up 30 plus points a game and here we are heaving the ball down field blindly to Jamar to get any kind of scoring going.

In tired of the all or nothing crap with this team. Where's the 15 yard chunk plays? Where's the screens? Where's the creativity? The decent scheming?

I'm just tired of it. I feel like this offense has so much more to offer and can be so much more explosive. Something's missing. Scoring for this team feels like it's just such a struggle.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Was last year.. we are getting big plays but just not consistent this year.. ZT needs to do better and Burrow needs to finish like we expect.. that simple really to me
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This year they are not very good at short yardage situations. They have been much more explosive thanks to chase, but there are too many times a 2nd & 2 gets to 4th down and it just shouldn’t.
Reply/Quote
Cuz Zac is not a great playcaller.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Improve the o line and improve the play calling, watch the offense improve into the upper tier of NFL offenses.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I agree. We struggle to get 3 td drives a game. With all of our talent, we should be moving it up and down the field at will.

The main obstacles in the way (to me) are the offensive line and the play calling. Any of the top 10 OCs/HCs in the league would have this offense humming. To me it seems like Taylor is holding these players back. But maybe it’s too early to come to that conclusion. Maybe Burrow needs to improve yet.

The thing is, these highly successful coaches are scheming things up that make it easy on their young players. It seems to be the opposite for Taylor and Burrow. Burrow needs to audible into the perfect play all the time.

I’m still evaluating Zac. He’s obviously learning on the job. Burrow is obviously learning as well. Maybe it’ll get better. It’s be nice to have a coach that you could just tell was the real deal, that you never had to doubt.
Reply/Quote
We don't have the right head coach.

I watched the second half of the Chargers/Browns game and there is no chance in hell our team can compete with that level of explosiveness. Those offenses were scoring at will.

Look to improve from last year (shouldn't be hard), but we're nowhere near where we need to be to compete with the AFC's best.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 08:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This year they are not very good at short yardage situations. They have been much more explosive thanks to chase, but there are too many times a 2nd & 2 gets to 4th down and it just shouldn’t.

We were not good last year either. Actually it's reached a point that I don't know when I last trusted Mixon to get a 3rd and 1. Chase has basically bailed us out every game! And he almost did again. What's a rookie doing getting 159 yards receiving? Lol
Reply/Quote
Mix of play calling and bad o-line
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:10 PM)Big Boss Wrote: We don't have the right head coach.

I watched the second half of the Chargers/Browns game and there is no chance in hell our team can compete with that level of explosiveness.  Those offenses were scoring at will.  

Look to improve from last year (shouldn't be hard), but we're nowhere near where we need to compete with the AFC's best.

This.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The play calling is all over the map.

Is there any chance that Callahan is splitting some calls with Zac?

No consistency at all.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This offense is weird to watch and frustrating.

The skill positions have players that are explosive but the scheming does nothing to get them into position to succeed. They have more than adequate players on the OL but hang them out to dry with (again) schemes that telegraph the run/pass selection as well as patterns that don't force defenses to defend the whole field. Then there is the total lack of traps and draws and also for some reason we are terrible at screens - I think it goes back to our formations giving the play away again. And lest we forget they for some reason are blind to using the seams - which were WIDE open all day.
Reply/Quote
The announcer in this game, Vilma, noticed it in the very 1st quarter. Our o-line got pushed back a lot today.
Reply/Quote

I watched the second half of the Chargers/Browns game and there is no chance in hell our team can compete with that level of explosiveness.  Those offenses were scoring at will.  

Look to improve from last year (shouldn't be hard), but we're nowhere near where we need to compete with the AFC's best.

I do blame ZT this year .. his 3rd year as HC.. he needs to finish games better.. but you can;t just blame him. i feel we should be performing better but I blame Burrow also..he was consensus #1 pick.. he needs really needs to be more consistent and finish games.. today he had that chance and did not...  ZT and Burrow needs to raise both their games.. ZT has given Burrow a ton of freedom in this offense... 
Reply/Quote

I watched the second half of the Chargers/Browns game and there is no chance in hell our team hangs in there to put up that many points.  

What's crazy about that game is it shows that there is no one sure way to win in the NFL.

Cleveland was in that game with Hunt and Chubb running wild. Baker is a game managing QB that doesn't have the weapons like the Bengals do. And before you get excited about the 71 yard TD pass to the TE, it was a 20 yard pass and then a missed tackle and lots of running from the TE.

Meanwhile, the Chargers have two really good WRs, and a great pass catching back in Eckler behind a beefed up OL and lean on their young QB to sling the ball around.

Both teams have an identity and stick to that identity. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Haven’t scored over 24 points this season. Green Bay had its best CB Alexander out and we have Chase, Higgins and Boyd plus they were missing there best pass rusher Za’Darius Smith. I’m still not sold on Taylor. Big picture if we ever want Burrow to take us to the promise land we’re gonna have to put up points. The Chargers , Chiefs and Bills all have high scoring offenses and young QB’s that will be in AFC throughout Burrows career.
Reply/Quote
They aren't bad, just inconsistent.

And it doesn't help at all that they come out slow and don't have their shit together until the second half.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:15 PM)Goalpost Wrote: The announcer in this game, Vilma, noticed it in the very 1st quarter.  Our o-line got pushed back a lot today.

like I said, it's a mix of bad o-line and questionable play calling
Reply/Quote
[Image: 1173188638.jpg.0.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I agree playcalling and oline play. But maybe the playcalling could be better to help the oline. I think we need to make sure and get Boyd involved early and often the dude is just a chain mover and let Higgins and Chase feed off him. Chase was definitely getting it done but I thought the same thing that we were just chucking it down field and hoping he makes an amazing play. On Chase's last catch in overtime he made an amazing catch on the sideline that could've easily been incomplete but Irwin was wide open underneath for an easy completetion and first. I know that's kind of a moot point but we couldv'e been spreading it around better.
Reply/Quote