Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why is this offense so bad?
(10-10-2021, 08:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: For as much talent this offense has...they are awful. Scoring for them is an absolute struggle.

Joe Burrow, Joe Mixon, Jamar Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd...teams would kill for that kind of personal.

This team should be putting up 30 plus points a game and here we are heaving the ball down field blindly to Jamar to get any kind of scoring going.

In tired of the all or nothing crap with this team. Where's the 15 yard chunk plays? Where's the screens? Where's the creativity? The decent scheming?

I'm just tired of it. I feel like this offense has so much more to offer and can be so much more explosive. Something's missing. Scoring for this team feels like it's just such a struggle.

same guy calling the plays seems to run okay when they let burrow take controll.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:52 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: This team isn't going anywhere with Zac Taylor calling plays and possibly even as the head coach.  

Watch teams like the Browns, SD, GB and Arizona with other young head coaches.  No way we can consistently compete with them.

I realize the players like ZT but c'mon.  I'd hate to see us to continue wasting years of young talent with him.  

Meanwhile we're hoping that our young HC "grows" into the role.

We have a window of 5 years with Burrow's rookie contract.  We don't have the luxury of time.  This team advertised an "explosive" offense all off-season and there is nothing explosive about it save for some single (albeit jaw-dropping) plays from Chase.  I don't want Burrow wasted on this shit, man.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
It has to be playcalling. I can't pick a spot on the offensive side of the roster we need to upgrade to get to the point of an offensive powerhouse like Charges, KC, Bills, Browns etc.. So it has to be coaching.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:01 AM)jj22 Wrote: It has to be playcalling. I can't pick a spot on the offensive side of the roster we need to upgrade to get to the point of an offensive powerhouse like Charges, KC, Bills, Browns etc.. So it has to be coaching.

Maybe the offensive line to give Burrow more time for plays to develop, but otherwise you're right.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 09:14 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: same guy calling the plays seems to run okay when they let burrow take controll.

Burrow has never "taken control" of the play calling.

Every QB generally has the ability to audible out of a play call BASED ON WHAT THE DEFENSE SHOWS.  That does not mean eh can completely change a play call to whatever he wants whenever he wants.  When he audibles his options are limited and they are based on what the defense is showing, not on the whim of the QB to change the gameplan.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:01 AM)jj22 Wrote: It has to be playcalling. I can't pick a spot on the offensive side of the roster we need to upgrade to get to the point of an offensive powerhouse like Charges, KC, Bills, Browns etc.. So it has to be coaching.

Actually Sunday it was a bunch of different little things.

Burrow made multiple bad throws and could have easily had 4 interceptions if DBs had just seen how much he was underthrowing the deep balls.

And there were a few bad drops by Higgins and Sample.

And there was the killer penalty on Spain.

And there was our O-lines failure to pass protect or get any push on a quarterback sneak.

Just to be clear I AM NOT A FAN OF TAYLOR.  But we have to be honest about our problems if we want to fix them.  You can't blame Taylor for many of the glaring mistakes our players made on offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 09:59 AM)Big Boss Wrote:  This team advertised an "explosive" offense all off-season and there is nothing explosive about it save for some single (albeit jaw-dropping) plays from Chase.  

We are middle of the pack (17th) in pass plays of 20+ yard, and 5th in plays of 40+ yards.

Why don't they count if they are made by Chase?  I'd say most teams have one receiver that is responsible for most of their chunk play.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 11:00 PM)SouthernStripes Wrote: The offense had at least 5 third-and-twos or less but couldn't get the first down today.
I'm pretty sure this isn't the first game this season that we've struggled on 3rd and short.
It's hard to ignore the questionable play calling. 

I have a sneaking suspicion we are better on 3rd and long than 3rd and short haha.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 01:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I have a sneaking suspicion we are better on 3rd and long than 3rd and short haha.

From Hobson....
Quote:On the Bengals' third snap of the game, the offensive line failed to give Burrow push and he got stoned on a third-and-one sneak. That began a frustrating day of nine plays of third-and-four or fewer in which just three were converted.
Tiger WhoDey2
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually Sunday it was a bunch of different little things.

Burrow made multiple bad throws and could have easily had 4 interceptions if DBs had just seen how much he was underthrowing the deep balls.

And there was our O-lines failure to pass protect or get any push on a quarterback sneak.

Just to be clear I AM NOT A FAN OF TAYLOR.  But we have to be honest about our problems if we want to fix them.  You can't blame Taylor for many of the glaring mistakes our players made on offense.
Taylor can control the personel groupings.
Their is no reason in the world he should
Have Drew Sample on the field other than 
A jumbo set. He should never have Sample
As a receiving option unless C.J is hurt
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually Sunday it was a bunch of different little things.

Great post, Fred. I’m not a ZT fan but we have a significant amount of fans just blaming ZT for all of the problems. He is part of it, but players play and are at fault as well. Burrow had a bad game. Higgins was nearly nonexistent and the several other instances you mentioned.

I get that we have several very likeable players, but it’s okay to call them out as well, folks.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 08:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: For as much talent this offense has...they are awful. Scoring for them is an absolute struggle.

Joe Burrow, Joe Mixon, Jamar Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd...teams would kill for that kind of personal.

This team should be putting up 30 plus points a game and here we are heaving the ball down field blindly to Jamar to get any kind of scoring going.

In tired of the all or nothing crap with this team. Where's the 15 yard chunk plays? Where's the screens? Where's the creativity? The decent scheming?

I'm just tired of it. I feel like this offense has so much more to offer and can be so much more explosive. Something's missing. Scoring for this team feels like it's just such a struggle.

Scheme...

Need more Posts, Slants, Sluggos, middle TE screens, RB screens, RB out routes. We are ignoring the middle of the field.

It is on Taylor, Callahan and Burrow honestly. At least it isn't on the OL as much now even though they need to improve as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Scheme...

Need more Posts, Slants, Sluggos, middle TE screens, RB screens, RB out routes. We are ignoring the middle of the field.

It is on Taylor, Callahan and Burrow honestly. At least it isn't on the OL as much now even though they need to improve as well.

Chase could really burn a secondary on a SLUGGO
Route. Or at the very least get the attention
Of a CB and the S thus allowing a opposite side route coming underneath the SLUGGO.
Middle TE screens if ran at the right time 
Are good for 15 to 30 yd gains 
Of course only to Uzomah
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:03 PM)impactplaya Wrote:  He should never have Sample
As a receiving option unless C.J is hurt

I agree that sample should not be a featured target, but when you run a 2 TE set both of them have to be at least check down targets.

Sample is not the smoothest athlete, but he has always caught the ball well.  And when he was targeted yesterday I am pretty sure he was not the first option.  In fact he was probably one of the last options and just got the target because he was the one open.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Scheme...

Burrow threw to the middle of the field a dozen times yesterday.  Against the Jags he feasted on the middle of the field.
Reply/Quote

It's a variety of little things that are adding up, in my view.

RB's can't be trusted to pick up blitzers. Joe Mixon cheats out into his routes early instead of selling the screen or helping to chip, then releasing.

OL is serviceable, but not good yet.

Designed plays to guys that do not need to be getting desiith gned touches(Drew Sample, Auden Tate).

Lack of speed at the skill positions excepting Chase.

Suspect situational play calling.

Playing to the defense when on offense.  For example, the team moves the ball a lot better when up tempo.  However, they would rather slow it down and go 3 and out than have an 8 play drive with tempo.

4 picks this year trying to get the ball to Tyler Boyd.

Targets distributed amongst the top 3 WR's as if we're trying not to hurt anyone's feelings.  Tee and Boyd are good players.  Chase is a great player.
Reply/Quote

You simply can't talk about the offense without the OL. Not sure what you're watching but they're terribly inconsistent. You have no clue what they're about on each and every play. JB had zero time yesterday on drop backs.

Why do you think ZT settled for a 57 yarder? They had a 3rd and 6 and they ran Mixon up the middle for three yards. ZT didn't want to have to do that but he's got very little confidence there and to take a sack would have been a killer/
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:14 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Maybe the offensive line to give Burrow more time for plays to develop, but otherwise you're right.  

Agreed...our OL is not up to par with these teams and it makes a huge difference out there on waiting for explosive plays to develop.
That said, I just read Carman on COVID list...so D' Ante Smith starts next week? 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:17 PM)kalibengal Wrote: That said, I just read Carman on COVID list...so D' Ante Smith starts next week? 

Nope.  All he needs is two negative tests 2 days before the game.
Reply/Quote
The OL is not the problem. Whether you like it or not there WAS a pocket on most plays and Burrow DID have time to throw. Remember of those 3 sacks Burrow himself caused one and one was Perine whiffing on picking up the blitzed (like he always does). The problem is the play designs and yes the play calling - also Burrow not moving in the pocket and holding the ball too long.

Where are the rollouts? Where are the traps and draws? Why are there no sluggos? Why do our screens suck (HINT: it has something to do with the formation telegraphing the screen and side of the field it is on)? This is probably the ONLY offense in football that does absolutely nothing to burn aggressive pass rushes.
Reply/Quote