Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why isn't the 2 pt conversion getting more scrutiny?
To me, Hue getting too cute with the 2 point conversion attempt was the biggest coaching miscue of the game. The previous TD, Jeremy Hill had run the ball in from 2 yards out standing up. They couldn't stop us for 2 yards in the jumbo package with Fisher lead blocking. Instead, Hue calls a play that played right into the strength of the D....the speed of their LBs. We make that 2 point conversion and the FG at the end is for the tie. And I like our chances in OT.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:17 PM)Beaker Wrote: To me, Hue getting too cute with the 2 point conversion attempt was the biggest coaching miscue of the game. The previous TD, Jeremy Hill had run the ball in from 2 yards out standing up. They couldn't stop us for 2 yards in the jumbo package with Fisher lead blocking. Instead, Hue calls a play that played right into the strength of the D....the speed of their LBs. We make that 2 point conversion and the FG at the end is for the tie. And I like our chances in OT.

That play was doomed from the start.  I don't know what the right call would have been bur that surely wasn't it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This was Hue's one downfall in his time here IMO. He is always trying to impress some GM or owner somewhere with his creative playcalling.... We have a dominant roster, just line up and win.
Reply/Quote
I would've liked to seen the 2 point attempt after the first TD. I felt like the momentum was completely on our side at that moment and the Steelers looked shell shocked. Plus like you said he walked into the end zone last time so just slam them again with Hill.
Reply/Quote
I am highly critical of it, that wasn't the right play call at all.

Have to throw into the end zone on that play, a swing pass isn't it

What I think may have even worked was running the Wildcat with Sanu
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
God this is going to be a long offseason.

Reply/Quote
Terrible play call. You need to throw it into the endzone. Let Eifert use his big body to catch the ball.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:21 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: God this is going to be a long offseason.

They always are.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:21 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: God this is going to be a long offseason.

Yes, yes it is
Reply/Quote
When you have Eifert and Green, why even try to get cute. I agree, it was a bad call especially since it could have resulted in points against us.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hell you have Eifert who was leading the league in TD receptions through most the season why not look his way in the endzone?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:17 PM)Beaker Wrote: To me, Hue getting too cute with the 2 point conversion attempt was the biggest coaching miscue of the game. The previous TD, Jeremy Hill had run the ball in from 2 yards out standing up. They couldn't stop us for 2 yards in the jumbo package with Fisher lead blocking. Instead, Hue calls a play that played right into the strength of the D....the speed of their LBs. We make that 2 point conversion and the FG at the end is for the tie. And I like our chances in OT.
Spot on.

We had the momentum and will power that we probably would have had it.  Instead, Hue decides to "outsmart" everyone with a swing pass.

I have to say, Jeremy is taking a beating for fumbling (rightfully so) to put them in position to win the game; but he has to be commended for reeling in that floater from behind him.  Had it made it through, there were two Steelers converging to recover and advance it, with a real good shot at getting the 2 points to give them the lead back.
Reply/Quote
Poor play call, even more poorly executed.
Reply/Quote
Yep back shoulder through to 85 split out wide.
Reply/Quote
One of the worst play calls I've ever seen.
Reply/Quote
See ya hue. Won't be missed
Reply/Quote
So many of you have forgotten about Bratkowski. Compared to him, Hue is a godsend.

Reply/Quote

Running was no for sure... they had so many negative rushes last nite.. sometimes the defense just makes the right call also..

I do think though Tomlin got a pass.. I would have kicked to go up 16-0 anyway... to make them have to go for 2 two point conversations
Reply/Quote
There are so many what-ifs it's hard to tell where they start and where they end.
Reply/Quote

I've never been a fan of Hue as our OC.  I think he's tremendously overrated.  I think given his background as a backs/WR coach he'd surely know how to design plays to beat zone or man coverage. Instead our receivers are consistently catching contested throws.  Far too many designed screens with not enough blockers.  Throws downfield on 3rd and shorts.  With the talent we have Hue should not have to design plays to the backup tackle.  Nor does he have to do these crazy formations.  I will be very happy to see him go.
Reply/Quote