Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why no small pick up trucks anymore
(05-28-2018, 11:18 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I had an 1999 Ford Ranger that I used when I drove for a carrier service. It had over 300k miles on it with the original clutch and it just wouldn't die. 

I loved that truck, it did everything I wanted it to do and more.

(05-28-2018, 04:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And this is why if you want a small-bed truck, just get a Subaru Outback lol.

Seriously, unless it's something super-tall, I can fit anything in my back that someone in a truck can, have all-time 4WD and even with it's age (2001), I still get 21 MPG.

Its getting scrapped in a few weeks, as the one of the catalytic converters is plugged (and it'll be $2,000+ to get it fixed) and its just not worth it for a car where the body is literally falling apart.

700 km away from 350,000 though!

What's funny about this juxtaposition for me is that I traded in my 1999 Ranger for an Outback. We were pairing down to a one-vehicle household and my wife didn't want to try driving the truck, but acknowledged the need for the hauling space and the AWD. Now I have a 2012 Outback and I have to say that I can take it anywhere my Ranger, which was an XLT 4WD with a tow package, would go.

(05-29-2018, 10:11 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You guys are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper for parts and labour Sad

An oil change at Subaru (mind you, its Subaru parts and excellent, conventional oil, plus they do the best car wash in Canada lol) is a little north of $90.00.

If I had the know-how and the tools, I'd do it myself.

Canada is notorious for needing to spend a ton more for maintenance; my dad used to drive down to Buffalo for any major job, as a result. The actual CC purchase and swap, will be just under $1,500, but additional work needs to be done as well, bringing it to over $2,000.

Canada requires every car to be emissions-tested (it failed) and this is why I need to replace it, otherwise I'd continue driving it into the ground lol.

Yeah, my synthetic oil change is $45 down here at the dealer. I have the tools and the know-how, just not the space or the motivation to do it myself. But, I drive so little I only get an oil change once a year, so there is that.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 10:11 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You guys are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper for parts and labour Sad

An oil change at Subaru (mind you, its Subaru parts and excellent, conventional oil, plus they do the best car wash in Canada lol) is a little north of $90.00.

If I had the know-how and the tools, I'd do it myself.

Canada is notorious for needing to spend a ton more for maintenance; my dad used to drive down to Buffalo for any major job, as a result. The actual CC purchase and swap, will be just under $1,500, but additional work needs to be done as well, bringing it to over $2,000.

Canada requires every car to be emissions-tested (it failed) and this is why I need to replace it, otherwise I'd continue driving it into the ground lol.

Ah....I gotcha. I do most of my own work. That was the cost if the cat online.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 11:15 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: What's funny about this juxtaposition for me is that I traded in my 1999 Ranger for an Outback. We were pairing down to a one-vehicle household and my wife didn't want to try driving the truck, but acknowledged the need for the hauling space and the AWD. Now I have a 2012 Outback and I have to say that I can take it anywhere my Ranger, which was an XLT 4WD with a tow package, would go.

Yeah, my synthetic oil change is $45 down here at the dealer. I have the tools and the know-how, just not the space or the motivation to do it myself. But, I drive so little I only get an oil change once a year, so there is that.

Yup, it truly is a superb vehicle: I will only own/drive Subarus, so I'm a bit biased, but my Outback is beyond amazing, especially for it's age/size: You'd be amazed at how quickly I can zip in and out of traffic, it can still haul the boat without a hiccup and its been leaking oil since 2006, from the head gasket: still no major leak/blow.

Synthetic, I've never seen (unless its a deal) for less than $120.00 here, in Canada and this goes for every model/dealership. Mercs with synthetic are $150.00+, its insane.

(05-29-2018, 11:56 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Ah....I gotcha. I do most of my own work. That was the cost if the cat online.

I wish Sad
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 02:18 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yup, it truly is a superb vehicle: I will only own/drive Subarus, so I'm a bit biased, but my Outback is beyond amazing, especially for it's age/size: You'd be amazed at how quickly I can zip in and out of traffic, it can still haul the boat without a hiccup and its been leaking oil since 2006, from the head gasket: still no major leak/blow.

Synthetic, I've never seen (unless its a deal) for less than $120.00 here, in Canada and this goes for every model/dealership. Mercs with synthetic are $150.00+, its insane.

I wish Sad

Why don't you just buy the oil at a store, and change it yourself?  It's not difficult, and there are places to drop off the used oil for recycling.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 02:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why don't you just buy the oil at a store, and change it yourself?  It's not difficult, and there are places to drop off the used oil for recycling.

As mentioned, I don't have the know-how or the tools.

But I could learn!

I used to take it to my buddy; 4 quarts of Pennzoil for under 30 bucks, give him 20 for half an hour of work... cheapest oil changes.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 04:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: As mentioned, I don't have the know-how or the tools.

But I could learn!

I used to take it to my buddy; 4 quarts of Pennzoil for under 30 bucks, give him 20 for half an hour of work... cheapest oil changes.

Yeah, I don't get into anything complicated, as I don't have a garage to leave things taken apart overnight.  But, I try to do as much of my own general maintenance as possible, to save a buck or two.  YouTube and automotive forums are an absolute wealth for anyone wanting to know how to work on anything.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 05:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I don't get into anything complicated, as I don't have a garage to leave things taken apart overnight.  But, I try to do as much of my own general maintenance as possible, to save a buck or two.  YouTube and automotive forums are an absolute wealth for anyone wanting to know how to work on anything.

Yeah, my primary issue is a lack of space to do it. Apartment living sucks. Of course, I'm not going to go all out like my brother-in-law.
[Image: IMG_8476.jpg]

He installed the hydraulic lift in his yard for working on his cars. If only I lived in Maine...
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote