Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why no small pick up trucks anymore
(05-27-2018, 07:47 PM)Benton Wrote: Dont get the cost of trucks now.

Even stripped down models (regular cab, 4x2, etc) cost way more than they should compared to cars.

They are crazy expensive, these days.  The best deals seem to be on ones 1-2 yrs old.  My buddy got a loaded out Ram 4x4, every available option, and less than 20K miles for 38K.  That same 2016 sold new for over 53K.

Best part about that truck? If he sets his cruise control, he gets 27 MPG.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2018, 11:07 AM)Benton Wrote: ranger comes back next year. I think Chevy still makes a Colorado.

Yep drive one

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It’s the Chicken Tax.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 07:50 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: It’s the Chicken Tax.

Wouldn't this just protect the domestic small truck market?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 02:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 3.  The extraordinary growth of the Crossover Sport Utility market has absorbed a great deal of the niche market for cute, useless toy trucks.

100% agree that the crossover sport utility has absorbed a lot of that market.

100% disagree that small trucks were just "useless toys".  I drove an '01 S-10 and used it to haul all sorts of stuff.

Of course I am not one of those guys who measures his manhood by the size of this truck.  I think that is a big part for why trucks have gotten so much bigger and why costs have gotten so high.  Lots of guys buying more truck than they need because "Real men drive big trucks".  Just look at the commercials.
Reply/Quote
I had an 1999 Ford Ranger that I used when I drove for a carrier service. It had over 300k miles on it with the original clutch and it just wouldn't die. 

I loved that truck, it did everything I wanted it to do and more.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 09:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wouldn't this just protect the domestic small truck market?

I’m not an expert on this issue. However, I do know this tax is the cause, or the defining factor, according to what I’ve read.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 02:04 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Part of it is the mfr's marketing geniuses see the how well the big pickups sell, as well as what the profit margin is for them. Then advertising takes over to convince the buyers that America loves their big trucks. Aside from the pickups, the smaller compact cars are growing in size too, especially the Japanese models. 

These go back to what I was saying about fuel economy.  Smaller vehicle footprints require a specific mileage target which is costly to fulfill, limiting the profit.  Consumers are only willing to pay so much for an oversized go-kart.  Thus, manufacturers are increasing the footprint to circumvent things and get into a profit margin they like.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 09:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: And good on gas. 

Mine, not so much.

It was a V6 with a larger wheel OD than standard, so it got around 19-22 MPG if I remember correctly.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 12:02 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Mine, not so much.

It was a V6 with a larger wheel OD than standard, so it got around 19-22 MPG if I remember correctly.

Still not bad.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 07:50 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: It’s the Chicken Tax.

(05-28-2018, 11:35 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I’m not an expert on this issue. However, I do know this tax is the cause, or the defining factor, according to what I’ve read.

You link states that all the manufacturers were able to circumvent the issue by importing them incomplete and installing a few final touches to allow them to be considered domestically produced, so I don't see this as the case.

It also appears that it was aimed at commercial fleet vehicles, based on the models it discussed.  I could be misinterpreting that part though.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 12:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Still not bad.

I guess my opinion is skewed because of my current V8 (2000 Mountaineer) being able to get similar numbers on long highway trips (only 14.5 MPG normally).
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 12:14 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I guess my opinion is skewed because of my current V8 (2000 Mountaineer) being able to get similar numbers on long highway trips (only 14.5 MPG normally).

I had a Durango. Holy heck it drained the wallet on gas. 12-14 mpg.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 09:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wouldn't this just protect the domestic small truck market?

I’m not an expert on this issue. However, I do know this tax is the cause, or the defining factor, according to what I’ve read.
Reply/Quote
And this is why if you want a small-bed truck, just get a Subaru Outback lol.

Seriously, unless it's something super-tall, I can fit anything in my back that someone in a truck can, have all-time 4WD and even with it's age (2001), I still get 21 MPG.

Its getting scrapped in a few weeks, as the one of the catalytic converters is plugged (and it'll be $2,000+ to get it fixed) and its just not worth it for a car where the body is literally falling apart.

700 km away from 350,000 though!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 04:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And this is why if you want a small-bed truck, just get a Subaru Outback lol.

Seriously, unless it's something super-tall, I can fit anything in my back that someone in a truck can, have all-time 4WD and even with it's age (2001), I still get 21 MPG.

Its getting scrapped in a few weeks, as the one of the catalytic converters is plugged (and it'll be $2,000+ to get it fixed) and its just not worth it for a car where the body is literally falling apart.

Shocked 

You're going to become an internet superstar!
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 11:18 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I had an 1999 Ford Ranger that I used when I drove for a carrier service. It had over 300k miles on it with the original clutch and it just wouldn't die. 

I loved that truck, it did everything I wanted it to do and more.

Friend of mine had an earlier 90s (late 80s?) S10. Was more rust than truck. Had 200k miles and sounded like purgatory whenever you shifted, but truck wouldn't die. He put 50k miles on it before he saved up for something with AC.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 04:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And this is why if you want a small-bed truck, just get a Subaru Outback lol.

Damn, really?  I replaced the cat on our VW for under $350. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This is why I won't sell my Dakota.  The perfect truck for me.  Not too small, not too big, and plenty of power from the V8 after a few simple mods (had good power before.).  There's plenty of room for bigger folks, it's a crew cab, so plenty of room for my family, can tow what you need with the tow/haul package, and fits fine in my garage.  It's not the best on fuel in town, but that's what the work beater is for.  It has 214k on the clock, and still hums right along.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 08:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: Damn, really?  I replaced the cat on our VW for under $350. 

You guys are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper for parts and labour Sad

An oil change at Subaru (mind you, its Subaru parts and excellent, conventional oil, plus they do the best car wash in Canada lol) is a little north of $90.00.

If I had the know-how and the tools, I'd do it myself.

Canada is notorious for needing to spend a ton more for maintenance; my dad used to drive down to Buffalo for any major job, as a result. The actual CC purchase and swap, will be just under $1,500, but additional work needs to be done as well, bringing it to over $2,000.

Canada requires every car to be emissions-tested (it failed) and this is why I need to replace it, otherwise I'd continue driving it into the ground lol.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote