Poll: Why not keep Andy
I'm concerned about Mike Brown's savings
Mike will use the saved money to invest in the oline
We'll get a pick in the first 3 rounds
We owe it to Andy
Andy will be made if we don't
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Why not keep Andy as a backup?
A few threads have been derailed because this has become the topic of discussion. I'm of the opinion that keeping Andy around to mentor the new franchise QB can pay dividends far beyond the expensive backup QB Mikey would have to pay for next year.

If we would have brought in another vet (Rivers, Cam, Mariota, Winston< Bridgewater....) I'd want to part with AD, but we are going with a rookie on a rookie contract, so it makes sense to keep him.

I've provided some choices and feel free to vote and expound. But what is your #1 reason not to keep Andy.

(mad not made)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 08:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: A few threads have been derailed because this has become the topic of discussion. I'm of the opinion that keeping Andy around to mentor the new franchise QB can pay dividends far beyond the expensive backup QB Mikey would have to pay for next year.

If we would have brought in another vet (Rivers, Cam, Mariota, Winston< Bridgewater....) I'd want to part with AD, but we are going with a rookie on a rookie contract, so it makes sense to keep him.

I've provided some choices and feel free to vote and expound.

It makes the most sense to trade or cut Andy, use the 18m elsewhere and sign another reasonably priced vet to backup Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
Other, $18M is simply too much to have invested in the backup QB position. That money could likely fund both a LB and a G in free agency.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Our HC is a QB coach and we could get Dalton's salary off the books (hopefully via trade) and pick up a system guy from ZT's past to mentor Burrow. Would MB invest the money saved into anything? Who knows, but this strikes me as something a normal franchise would do so I think we should do that.

And maybe this is crazy talk, but if we have Dalton on the bench it wouldn't really surprise me if ZT makes another QB substitution during the year in a last-ditch effort to save his job or spark something short-term and short-sighted. Well, maybe that won't happen but I just want Burrow out there.
Reply/Quote
It would be smart to get a more affordable vet QB behind Burrow, but it would be a classic MB move to keep Dalton on the roster to get the team closer to the cap minimum for the year.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 08:57 PM)treee Wrote: It would be smart to get a more affordable vet QB behind Burrow, but it would be a classic MB move to keep Dalton on the roster to get the team closer to the cap minimum for the year.

I realize Dalton is under contract and making 18 million bucks to do nothing is pretty much the American dream, but if the guy wants to start it would be a jerkbutt move to sit on the only franchise QB of the MB era who didn't demand a trade.

Additionally, if we can get anything for Dalton we should take it because Burrow is going to need help at any cost.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 08:57 PM)treee Wrote: It would be smart to get a more affordable vet QB behind Burrow, but it would be a classic MB move to keep Dalton on the roster to get the team closer to the cap minimum for the year.

Can't do that anymore, apparently; you need to spend otherwise you lose it and can't carry it over or something.

Can't remember where I read it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Other, $18M is simply too much to have invested in the backup QB position.  That money could likely fund both a LB and a G in free agency.

This

We could possibly get a 3rd round pick in a trade as well. To me it just makes much more sense for both Dalton (chance to start elsewhere) and Bengals, like you say fund a RG and LBer or even a vet WR if AJ bounces.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I realize Dalton is under contract and making 18 million bucks to do nothing is pretty much the American dream, but if the guy wants to start it would be a jerkbutt move to sit on the only franchise QB of the MB era who didn't demand a trade.

Additionally, if we can get anything for Dalton we should take it because Burrow is going to need help at any cost.

Would it be a jerkbutt move to not do whatever you can to help a team that has made you a very wealthy person and will pay you 18 mil next year

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Can't do that  anymore, apparently; you need to spend otherwise you lose it and can't carry it over or something.

I know exactly where you read it, because I read it, too.  Can't remember exactly, but I'm thinking 'Holic made a thread on Salary Cap Rule changes, about a week or so back.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Would it be a jerkbutt move to not do whatever you can to help a team that has made you a very wealthy person and will pay you 18 mil next year.

You don't think Andy is good enough to be our starting QB...

but you think he's worthy of starter money to be the backup?

[Image: tenor+%283%29.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think it’s best for all involved if we separate. That said I’m not cutting him for nothing. If another team wants him they can give up a 2nd or at minimum a 3rd or we can keep him for a starter until Burrow is ready and get a 3rd comp next season
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Can't do that  anymore, apparently; you need to spend otherwise you lose it and can't carry it over or something.

If the Bengals keep Dalton on the roster that is 17.7m closer to the cap because hes signed through 2020.

But rules are they have to spend at least 90% of the cap and because the new CBA there MIGHT NOT be any roll over but that isn't a sure thing yet.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Time for Dalton to geaux. Cut the cord. Fresh start. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
He wants to play next year and burrow will start day 1.

Also, who pays a guy 18 mil to sit the bench?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: You don't think Andy is good enough to be our starting QB...

but you think he's worthy of starter money to be the backup?

[Image: tenor+%283%29.gif]
For one year? YES. Burrow is our franchise moving forward. Why not invest all you can in it. Save your little gif for someone else

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:37 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: He wants to play next year and burrow will start day 1.

Also, who pays a guy 18 mil to sit the bench?

Didn't the Giants last year? I will go out on a limb and say it benefited their future QB

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For one year? YES. Burrow is our franchise moving forward. Why not invest all you can in it. Save your little gif for someone else

If you're going to invest, it seems like it would be a whole lot wiser to take that 18m and put it toward upgrading the overall roster around Joe, than pay a backup QB a starters salary...especially when there are other vets QB's options out there that can be had at a much more reasonable price.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Would it be a jerkbutt move to not do whatever you can to help a team that has made you a very wealthy person and will pay you 18 mil next year

Meh, Andy made Andy a very wealthy person and Andy helped make Mike Brown a very wealthy person.  But yes, If Mike Brown can't think of anything more useful to spend 18 million on than a guy sitting on a bench when he supposedly has a genius QB coach at HC then I guess Andy should just play good soldier and hold his clipboard.

Seems like starting Burrow off behind the eight ball by misappropriating precious cap space directly onto the bench, but that's his cross to bear.  

My point is that being a backup QB who sits on the bench and gets paid to do nothing is the dream of everyone who isn't an NFL QB.  You don't get to the NFL because you like sitting on a bench, so I'll never expect anyone who has been starting for 9 years to just smile and sit the bench, no matter how much gratitude it supposedly shows to his employer. 
Reply/Quote
Smile 
(01-19-2020, 09:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If you're going to invest, it seems like it would be a whole lot wiser to take that 18m and put it toward upgrading the overall roster around Joe, than pay a backup QB a starters salary...especially when there are other vets QB's options out there that can be had at a much more reasonable price.

:andy:

Cut Dre and Hart and you have the same money. And that doesn't count the money we have to pay a journeyman QB to show Joe the ropes and provide insight on the players on the roster. Wait another QB can't do that

Reply/Quote