Poll: Why not keep Andy
I'm concerned about Mike Brown's savings
Mike will use the saved money to invest in the oline
We'll get a pick in the first 3 rounds
We owe it to Andy
Andy will be made if we don't
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Why not keep Andy as a backup?
(01-20-2020, 12:48 PM)Synric Wrote: I pointing out the fact that keeping the roll over is advantageous.

Disagree, yet get your point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 08:19 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: After getting fired from the Skins Gruden would be silly to hitch his wagon to Dalton. A easy way to get to be a head coach again would be to go to a team with a rookie QB and be successful. His history with MB and the arrival of Burrow may mean he returns to Cincy.

Would be very happy if this happens.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 02:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sounds like NE plans to bring back Brady.

Damn, thought we could get the highest pick from the Pats for Dalton if Brady left.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 08:19 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: After getting fired from the Skins Gruden would be silly to hitch his wagon to Dalton. A easy way to get to be a head coach again would be to go to a team with a rookie QB and be successful. His history with MB and the arrival of Burrow may mean he returns to Cincy.

Some people just aren't meant to be a HC, and we don't know if Jay even wants to be one again. The best way to stay relevant in the league is to win, period. If Jay doesn't win now, I could see him being out of the league soon. Flaming out as a HC and following it with flaming out as OC in Jax wouldn't bode well for his image.

Who knows though, maybe the Jags really do view Minshew as the answer, and that Foles contract will be nearly impossible to dump, so I'm starting to lean against it happening.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn, thought we could get the highest pick from the Pats for Dalton if Brady left.

Well things are very much still up in the air as far as Brady goes.

He seems to be taking his time thus far, and the Pats want an answer from him before free agency begins.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/01/patriots-want-answer-tom-brady-soon/

Brady was recently spotted at a UFC event chatting it up with Raiders owner Mark Davis.

https://musketfire.com/2020/01/22/new-england-patriots-tom-brady-davis/
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I just don't understand wasting over 8% of the salary cap on a backup QB. Especially one that roughly half the fan base despises. Dalton gets a ton of undeserved hate and constantly called below average, sucks, worst in the League, etc, but lets have him "mentor" our shiny #1 pick because he's good enough to teach him how to be a good NFL QB. If Dalton is so bad and undeserving of starting (or even playing in the League according to some) why in the **** do we want him coaching up a prospect that everyone already claims is light years better? It just makes zero sense to me.

Trade or cut him. Use those resources to improve the OLine (not just re-sign Jerry and Redmond). Improve the LBs (don't re-sign Nickerson or Brown). Make the overall team better. That's the best thing Dalton could do for the 2020 Bengals. Either cap space + a draft pick or just cap space.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 05:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well things are very much still up in the air as far as Brady goes.

He seems to be taking his time thus far, and the Pats want an answer from him before free agency begins.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/01/patriots-want-answer-tom-brady-soon/

Brady was recently spotted at a UFC event chatting it up with Raiders owner Mark Davis.

https://musketfire.com/2020/01/22/new-england-patriots-tom-brady-davis/

I mean he sold his house in New England, so I was kind of surprised on hearing him going back to NE.

Heard Rivers bought a house in Tampa, I would think the Chargers are still the most likely landing spot for Brady.

This would be good for us as we could trade Dalton for 3rd or 4th round pick to the Pats who would be desperate for a
starting QB. Dalton just seems to fit what Billy B likes in a QB, he might be able to get Dalton back to being a winner.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 07:06 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I just don't understand wasting over 8% of the salary cap on a backup QB. Especially one that roughly half the fan base despises. Dalton gets a ton of undeserved hate and constantly called below average, sucks, worst in the League, etc, but lets have him "mentor" our shiny #1 pick because he's good enough to teach him how to be a good NFL QB. If Dalton is so bad and undeserving of starting (or even playing in the League according to some) why in the **** do we want him coaching up a prospect that everyone already claims is light years better? It just makes zero sense to me.

Trade or cut him. Use those resources to improve the OLine (not just re-sign Jerry and Redmond). Improve the LBs (don't re-sign Nickerson or Brown). Make the overall team better. That's the best thing Dalton could do for the 2020 Bengals. Either cap space + a draft pick or just cap space.

Completely agree again Muskies. Free up the dough no matter how you have to.

I don't think Dalton would be teaching Burrow much anyways. 

If we want a vet QB we can get one for much cheaper than Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 07:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree again Muskies. Free up the dough no matter how you have to.

Believe me, I'm not a fan of it, but it is what it is. I like Andy Dalton a lot. He has his shortcomings for sure, but I feel better coaching and a change of scenery could help him get back to 2011-2016 form. While he has contributed plenty to some of the team's failures in the playoffs and recent years, the track record of our owner/GM and front office haven't been successful regardless of QB, coach, or anything else.

However, it is time to move on for the Bengals and for Dalton. His cap hit could be put to much better use improving multiple areas. If a vet QB is a must, you're a 100% right that we can bring one for a fraction of Dalton's cap number. More than likely they'd also be better than Finley.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 07:42 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Believe me, I'm not a fan of it, but it is what it is. I like Andy Dalton a lot. He has his shortcomings for sure, but I feel better coaching and a change of scenery could help him get back to 2011-2016 form. While he has contributed plenty to some of the team's failures in the playoffs and recent years, the track record of our owner/GM and front office haven't been successful regardless of QB, coach, or anything else.

However, it is time to move on for the Bengals and for Dalton. His cap hit could be put to much better use improving multiple areas. If a vet QB is a must, you're a 100% right that we can bring one for a fraction of Dalton's cap number. More than likely they'd also be better than Finley.

Spot on, I wish Andy the best wherever he goes and hope he does well.

He did some good things for us and he is a great man. It is best for everybody involved to move on.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 07:06 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I just don't understand wasting over 8% of the salary cap on a backup QB. Especially one that roughly half the fan base despises. Dalton gets a ton of undeserved hate and constantly called below average, sucks, worst in the League, etc, but lets have him "mentor" our shiny #1 pick because he's good enough to teach him how to be a good NFL QB. If Dalton is so bad and undeserving of starting (or even playing in the League according to some) why in the **** do we want him coaching up a prospect that everyone already claims is light years better? It just makes zero sense to me.

(01-23-2020, 07:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree again Muskies. Free up the dough no matter how you have to.

Really what does Dalton have to teach him?

Teach him that Zac Taylor hasn't a clue how to coach an NFL team.

Teach him that Mike Brown is sleeping on a pile of cash and smells like moth balls.

Teach him that his favorite WR had to play and practice on shitty fields and ended up injured.

Teach him that Troy Blackburn is an assclown that uses not being able to find linemen at Walmart as a weak excuse for Hart/Jerry signings.

Teach him that the premier HB is not useful at the goal line in a Taylor coached offense.

Teach him that he too can have more rushing TDs than that premier HB because the HC is an idiot.

Teach him that he has capable TEs and they might or might not be used in this offense even though the HC drafted one in 2nd round.

Teach him that he can get a lead and watch the worst ranked D piss it away.

As much as I know Andy has sucked as well being serviceable I know that above teachings are true.

I don't want Zac Taylor teaching Burrow jack shit.  At least they have Van Pelt.   Whatever
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 08:13 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Really what does Dalton have to teach him?

Teach him that Zac Taylor hasn't a clue how to coach an NFL team.

Teach him that Mike Brown is sleeping on a pile of cash and smells like moth balls.

Teach him that his favorite WR had to play and practice on shitty fields and ended up injured.

Teach him that Troy Blackburn is an assclown that uses not being able to find linemen at Walmart as a weak excuse for Hart/Jerry signings.

Teach him that the premier HB is not useful at the goal line in a Taylor coached offense.

Teach him that he too can have more rushing TDs than that premier HB because the HC is an idiot.

Teach him that he has capable TEs and they might or might not be used in this offense even though the HC drafted one in 2nd round.

Teach him that he can get a lead and watch the worst ranked D piss it away.

As much as I know Andy has sucked as well being serviceable I know that above teachings are true.

I don't want Zac Taylor teaching Burrow jack shit.  At least they have Van Pelt.   Whatever

Better for Burrow to not know all this lol

But yeah Van Pelt and Simmons back are the lone positives. 

FA needs to be addressed to help put some more lipstick on this pig.

Just happy we can start off the Draft with Burrow afterwards and we have the first pick in each round of the Draft.

Barring we don't make trades.

One thing about Burrow is he has a fire in him to carry a team, don't count him out. But he will still need tons of help.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Dalton was basically in a contract year in 2019 given he had a brand new coaching staff around him.
He floundered when given the opportunity. Lowest QBR of his career.
I get there were some key injuries around him (Green, Glenn, Williams) that likely contributed to his decline, but an elite QB does not need all that around him to play well.

All that really matters is whether the team can make the playoffs next year. If they think they have a good chance with Andy Dalton, you keep Dalton. If not, there's no need to roll with Dalton for another year. Given how much this team needs to be competitive again (it's a worse team than what Dalton had to work with as a rookie), I don't see this team making the playoffs in 2020.

A few issues, WR were not getting open, no running game, bad OL play, etc... all of these issues on the offense will result in him playing bad. Even Brady played bad this year because his team wasn't helping him out. There is only so much 1 player can do. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: By keeping Andy as the starter for another year, not only are you not doing him any favors, but you're putting him in a terrible situation. If he starts and Burrow is riding the pine, Andy is going to get crucified every time he throws a bad pass or makes a mistake of any kind. I can already hear the chorus of boos after his first pick and the chants for Burrow. 

If you're really showing respect and appreciation for Andy, wouldn't it be best to give him the opportunity to be starter somewhere else, and not put him in an impossible no-win situation here? Tobin said they will do right by Andy, and I think that means letting him get a chance with another team.

I believe a trade by the Bengals for Dalton will be one Dalton wants. Otherwise I think Dalton will start here next year even if Joe is drafted. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 01:05 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: A few issues, WR were not getting open, no running game, bad OL play, etc... all of these issues on the offense will result in him playing bad. Even Brady played bad this year because his team wasn't helping him out. There is only so much 1 player can do. 

I understand your point that a QB can't do it all themselves, but look at the difference going from, for example, Alex Smith to Patrick Mahomes in KC. As Stephen A. Smith just said the other day, KC very well could have gotten to the Super Bowl even with Alex Smith as the QB given the strength of that roster, but he's not as good as Patrick Mahomes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 01:05 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: A few issues, WR were not getting open, no running game, bad OL play, etc... all of these issues on the offense will result in him playing bad. Even Brady played bad this year because his team wasn't helping him out. There is only so much 1 player can do. 

Brady was 12-4 bad. Dalton was 2-11 bad. Big difference from where I stand.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 02:22 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Brady was 12-4 bad. Dalton was 2-11 bad. Big difference from where I stand.

Earlier in the season the Patriots would've been 500 if the offense never took a single snap. That's how many points the defense was scoring. It fell off over time but still.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 02:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand your point that a QB can't do it all themselves, but look at the difference going from, for example, Alex Smith to Patrick Mahomes in KC. As Stephen A. Smith just said the other day, KC very well could have gotten to the Super Bowl even with Alex Smith as the QB given the strength of that roster, but he's not as good as Patrick Mahomes.

With Burrow's accuracy he can drop the ball in the Receivers arms even when they are covered. He is THAT good.
Reply/Quote
I am glad we aren't the Pat's. If we had a QB as successful as Brady our fans would go to the nursing home and bring him to the game and roll him out on the field in his wheel chair every Sunday. I say we burn the bridges and keep moving forward.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 02:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand your point that a QB can't do it all themselves, but look at the difference going from, for example, Alex Smith to Patrick Mahomes in KC. As Stephen A. Smith just said the other day, KC very well could have gotten to the Super Bowl even with Alex Smith as the QB given the strength of that roster, but he's not as good as Patrick Mahomes.

If the Bengals record was 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 getting Burrow may get them over the hump and their first playoff win. The same was thought with Palmer, though it never materialized. 

The issue is the Bengals ended the year at 2-14. That means there are many issues across the board, not just the QB play. 
Reply/Quote