Poll: Why not keep Andy
I'm concerned about Mike Brown's savings
Mike will use the saved money to invest in the oline
We'll get a pick in the first 3 rounds
We owe it to Andy
Andy will be made if we don't
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Why not keep Andy as a backup?
(02-04-2020, 05:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah and people list his age (23) as a bad thing as he is a little older.

Don't waste a moment with Burrow. He starts immediately.

The last thing I want to hear going into 2021 is "Well, this is technically Burrow's rookie year" whether that would be due to us starting Dalton or ZT and his non-system getting the boot is up for debate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dalton deserves a shot somewhere else.
Find a journey man FA like a mccown for back up. Vet that knows his role.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2020, 05:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The last thing I want to hear going into 2021 is "Well, this is technically Burrow's rookie year" whether that would be due to us starting Dalton or ZT and his non-system getting the boot is up for debate.

Same.

(02-04-2020, 07:43 PM)SladeX Wrote: Dalton deserves a shot somewhere else.
Find a journey man FA like a mccown for back up. Vet that knows his role.

Yes, it is unfair to both players to keep Dalton and it is unfair to the team as we would have less money to spend on improving 
our team. 17 mil is enough dough to bring in a decent O-line or LB for a couple years, you know a weakness can be improved 
upon. Don't understand the argument for keeping Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 08:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: A few threads have been derailed because this has become the topic of discussion. I'm of the opinion that keeping Andy around to mentor the new franchise QB can pay dividends far beyond the expensive backup QB Mikey would have to pay for next year.

If we would have brought in another vet (Rivers, Cam, Mariota, Winston< Bridgewater....) I'd want to part with AD, but we are going with a rookie on a rookie contract, so it makes sense to keep him.

I've provided some choices and feel free to vote and expound. But what is your #1 reason not to keep Andy.

(mad not made)

I would love to see andy stay here and help joe,but he says he wants to start.If he changes his mind and stays,he could very well start our season playing and allow joe to come in slowly.we really could use him as he is super smart and our O-line is much improved. Joe Mixon is going to get paid.
Reply/Quote
Get rid of Dalton. He is horrible..No one should spend 17 mil on a backup..I'd rather roll with Dolegala as backup...
Reply/Quote
Andy has done his best for the team, why rob him of one year of his competitive career? Give him his freedom, let him go compete for another team, he's earned that much.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Andy doesn't want to be a back up. This will result in there being a difficult locker room that could hinder any incoming new players such as Burrow. Along with Dalton could pull a CP move and demand a trade throughout camp. To much drama. Instead trade him or release him so he can try to start for another team such as the PATS, etc...
Reply/Quote
Just thought about something.

On the Burrow end, he is a natural leader, knows what he needs to do and is already grounded and not prone to outbursts or anything ridiculous, both on and off the field.

Do we really need a veteran guy to be brought in? Normally, you do that to help young guys adjust to the pro game, because they need tutelage or simply because the rook is injury-prone and should he go down, they would need someone able to step in with no issues.

Burrow checks off all of those things, so do we even need a veteran guy? I say to just roll with Dolegala and Finley, especially since Finley is such a cerebral guy (we're told) anyways.

Would definitely save money too and as mentioned above, be less of a distraction.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 11:50 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Andy doesn't want to be a back up. This will result in there being a difficult locker room that could hinder any incoming new players such as Burrow. Along with Dalton could pull a CP move and demand a trade throughout camp. To much drama. Instead trade him or release him so he can try to start for another team such as the PATS, etc...

I agree with this. Let the guy go be a starter elsewhere. Trade hopefully.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Only reason we keep dalton is if we get no decent offer in trade so mike decides to wait and see if a team loses a starting qb before the trade deadline next season. That would allow us to possibly get a higher vaue for him but we risk wasting 17 million on a back up for nothing.
Reply/Quote
Both andy and mike signed a contract they agreed on. Neither side owes the other anything not listed in that agreement.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Both andy and mike signed a contract they agreed on. Neither side owes the other anything not listed in that agreement.

Agree 100% I still dont get all these Dalton lovers out there. This is the Bengals not the Daltons. Who gives a crap what Andy does after they draft Burrow. And Demand a trade? Hahaha that's laughable....
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 11:56 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Just thought about something.

On the Burrow end, he is a natural leader, knows what he needs to do and is already grounded and not prone to outbursts or anything ridiculous, both on and off the field.

Do we really need a veteran guy to be brought in? Normally, you do that to help young guys adjust to the pro game, because they need tutelage or simply because the rook is injury-prone and should he go down, they would need someone able to step in with no issues.

Burrow checks off all of those things, so do we even need a veteran guy? I say to just roll with Dolegala and Finley, especially since Finley is such a cerebral guy (we're told) anyways.

Would definitely save money too and as mentioned above, be less of a distraction.

I saw nothing from Finley that suggests he's a cerebral guy. He can compete for the #3 job, but I'm not counting on us winning any games if he's on the field.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 02:09 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I saw nothing from Finley that suggests he's a cerebral guy. He can compete for the #3 job, but I'm not counting on us winning any games if he's on the field.

Indeed; I only said to keep him because realistically, he's not going to be cut after 1 year (even though we all know he should). Even though we've seen little to nothing, I would take Dolegala over him for the simple fact that Dolegala's upside is vastly superior.

His draft profiles:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ryan-finley?id=32194649-4e41-2269-1f0e-36f6ef3dd338
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2823986-ryan-finley-nfl-draft-2019-scouting-report-for-cincinnati-bengals-pick
http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019rfinley.php

All mention that he's got excellent smarts for the game and I've read more than once (though probably only twice lol) that he's like another coach on the sidelines.

I would expect that if he is cut, he immediately becomes a graduate assistant at Boise or NC State or whatever, then begins coaching
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 10:12 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed; I only said to keep him because realistically, he's not going to be cut after 1 year (even though we all know he should). Even though we've seen little to nothing, I would take Dolegala over him for the simple fact that Dolegala's upside is vastly superior.

His draft profiles:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ryan-finley?id=32194649-4e41-2269-1f0e-36f6ef3dd338
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2823986-ryan-finley-nfl-draft-2019-scouting-report-for-cincinnati-bengals-pick
http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019rfinley.php

All mention that he's got excellent smarts for the game and I've read more than once (though probably only twice lol) that he's like another coach on the sidelines.

I would expect that if he is cut, he immediately becomes a graduate assistant at Boise or NC State or whatever, then begins coaching

Keep Dolegala, bring in another QB that has some upside to battle with Dolegala.

You can be smart as a whip but it doesn't matter if you have a noodle arm like Finley IMO.
Reply/Quote
How ya like me now?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 08:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How ya like me now?

Doesn’t mean we won’t cut him.

Reply/Quote
This only makes since given the pandemic. 17.7 million to pay a back up is bad business.
Reply/Quote

You da man bfine !!!

I think I read that they can't sign their draft picks with Andy's salary though. I didn't like the idea of keeping him around before, but you started this thread before FA, and couldn't have known they'd spend the way they did. Guess if he's gonna stay he'd have to restructure... I wouldn't do it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

The same as ever.  On Andy, I think that he'll be cut if a deal cannot be reached with another team.  Just because the draft is over, does not mean that he still can't be traded.  Future picks, and or players are draft currency too.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote