Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why so mad???
(03-16-2021, 12:48 AM)Au165 Wrote: Somewhere Joe Thuney best guard in this FA turned into Joe Thuney best guard in football.

On top of it, he's only getting a $990k salary this year to help KC's cap situation.  You don't make that kind of concession unless that's REALLY the place you want to go.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Grrrr. I’m just super pissed we didn’t pay top tier money to keep this D intact. Y’all saw how great we were on D the last few years with these guys. Jesus just try the same thing again by giving these same guys enormous raises. Why that not work?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:00 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Grrrr. I’m just super pissed we didn’t pay top tier money to keep this D intact. Y’all saw how great we were on D the last few years with these guys. Jesus just try the same thing again by giving these same guys enormous raises. Why that not work?

Looking at it like that makes absolutely no sense. That’s like not wanting Boyd back because the offense has sucked the last few years. Lawson was a good player. Which is why he got paid what he did.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 12:59 AM)Whatever Wrote: On top of it, he's only getting a $990k salary this year to help KC's cap situation.  You don't make that kind of concession unless that's REALLY the place you want to go.

That is just a cap  gymnastics move. How much is he actually getting when the signing bonus is thrown in? My guess that signing bonus is north of 20 million, if so he is being paid 21 million in 2021, not 990 thousand. Huge difference.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Looking at it like that makes absolutely no sense. That’s like not wanting Boyd back because the offense has sucked the last few years. Lawson was a good player. Which is why he got paid what he did.

Boyd got a reasonable contract and never had injury concerns.

We paid the shit out of the guy who was 2nd in the league in sacks. Our entire team only had 3.5 sacks more than him. And people are pissed we didn't break the bank on our own guy. It's like bizzarro day in Bengal land where the fans are upset we didn't give out a giant contract to keep the same defense that was bottom of the barrel.

If I told any Bengal fan before last year our defense is going to suck and Lawson is going to lead the team in sacks with 5.5 and we are going to move on from him in free agency and instead pay the guy who ended the year top 2 in sacks the same money Lawson gets... They would love it.

But enough of this. I have to go complain about how too many of our new stud DEs sacks are hustle plays and he is garb.
Reply/Quote
I like the Hendrickson signing over Thuney, no way do I pay a Guard 16+ a year. I really wanted Linsley but who's to say he wanted to come here? I'm going to wait til friday til I pass judgement but so far I'm ok with letting Lawson walk. Moves that I'd still like to see:

CB- Hilton, Bouye, Alexander, - I'd like to sign 1 of these guys to add experience

O-line- Jackson, Turner, Reiter, Wagner- again give me 1 before the draft

WR- Reynolds, McKenzie, Conley(Jax) or Perriman- I'd like to add a 3/4 type for depth

Re-structure or release Geno Atkins
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:06 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Boyd got a reasonable contract and never had injury concerns.

We paid the shit out of the guy who was 2nd in the league in sacks. Our entire team only had 3.5 sacks more than him. And people are pissed we didn't break the bank on our own guy. It's like bizzarro day in Bengal land where the fans are upset we didn't give out a giant contract to keep the same defense that was bottom of the barrel.

If I told any Bengal fan before last year our defense is going to suck and Lawson is going to lead the team in sacks with 5.5 and we are going to move on from him in free agency and instead pay the guy who ended the year top 2 in sacks the same money Lawson gets... They would love it.

But enough of this. I have to go complain about how too many of our new stud DEs sacks are hustle plays and he is garb.

I don’t see many people having a problem with adding Hendrickson. But they’re going to miss Lawson. You can’t have only one pass rusher on a team. I expect to see his #’s go down just like Lawson’s did when he was all opposing teams had to worry about.

Reply/Quote
There main priority should have been to protect Burrow. The Chargers brought in Lindsey and Feiler to protect Herbert. This team has no identity what do we do well ? I feel like the defense won’t be good regardless of what they do rather them go all in on offense and be dynamic. Glad they spent money but paying a number 2 CB huge money , a run stuffing NT big money and a high motor DE big money won’t make us have a game changing D. If we replace Lawson and lose Jackson and replace him with a stop gap we’re treading water. Got a bad D , bad O-line and still need weapons. I rather them spend on O-line and a WR with an offensive minded coach and have offense be are strength.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 12:59 AM)Whatever Wrote: On top of it, he's only getting a $990k salary this year to help KC's cap situation.  You don't make that kind of concession unless that's REALLY the place you want to go.

Or, you do it if they give you $38 million of that guaranteed, which is what KC had to do to make it work. 
Reply/Quote
So far they've spent what must be close to $100m to downgrade the team they went 4-11-1 last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:08 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: So far they've spent what must be close to $100m to downgrade the team they went 4-11-1 last year.

I don't think they've downgraded. I would say they have tread water, but it isn't over yet.
Reply/Quote
I will judge this FA once it actually starts. Not mad at all, I like the Awuzie signing and if we bring in Hendrickson and
a couple O-lineman and hopefully a 3-tech DT like Rankins I will be happy. Way too early to be mad. Agree with P-Dub.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 05:24 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is just a cap  gymnastics move. How much is he actually getting when the signing bonus is thrown in? My guess that signing bonus is north of 20 million, if so he is being paid 21 million in 2021, not 990 thousand. Huge difference.

$17m signing bonus, plus a $110k workout bonus.

So he's making $18.1m year 1. He certainly didn't take some kind of discount to play with KC, he just got it pushed to signing bonus and guaranteed money further down the line.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, the answer to this thread is...

[Image: Joe-Burrow-injury-Bengals.jpg?quality=90...=all&ssl=1]

...that is why people are so mad. I chose not to put the video or GIF or whatnot of the actual injury because that would ruin this thread. I feel like maybe it should have been playing on loop all offseason at PBS for the FO.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:06 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Last off-season, fans absolutely blasted the Bengals over the first few days of the initial FA period when they weren't just immediately throwing crazy cash around. The Bengals ended up having some awesome signings that surprised literally everyone outside of PBS. Injuries aside, they nabbed some great players.... after a few days into the FA period. Everyone was happy with what they did... after blasting them early on.

This off-season is only 10 hours old, yet here are the same insults being thrown at the team. There are still fine players available right now. There are still a ton of great guys that will be  released sooner rather than later. Why the panic?

The off-season is LONG with many stages and a lot of activity. Given that fact, why become so upset at just 10 hours out of a several month process. Given the results of last year, why not give them time to work their plan before ripping their butts?

Personally, I think the reason a lot of people are upset is you had Duke Tobin hold a press conference last week and say we're going to be active early and often and we have a lot of cash to spend so we're going to improve our team. 

So far, the 2 free agent signings don't improve this team. Unless we sign another DE that can help put pressure on the QB then Henderickson is going to get 3 or 4 sacks a year.  He isnt a speed rusher and from what I understand he sucks against the run.   so we spent $32mil for a T3 player and let a Tier 1 DE leave.  

Then before Duke Tobin started spewing his crap, you had Elizabeth Blackburn on the media circuit trying to spread goodwill throughout the fan base.  Letting them know things are changing.  The more things change they stay exactly the same.  

So as Marvin used to say all the time I see better than I hear. 

As i said in my previous post, which happened to be my first post even though i've watched this board for years, I have less confidence in this organization now than I did in the lost decade from 92-02.  
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:21 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: I like the Hendrickson signing over Thuney, no way do I pay a Guard 16+ a year. I really wanted Linsley but who's to say he wanted to come here? I'm going to wait til friday til I pass judgement but so far I'm ok with letting Lawson walk. Moves that I'd still like to see:

CB- Hilton, Bouye, Alexander, - I'd like to sign 1 of these guys to add experience

O-line- Jackson, Turner, Reiter, Wagner- again give me 1 before the draft

WR- Reynolds, McKenzie, Conley(Jax) or Perriman- I'd like to add a 3/4 type for depth

Re-structure or release Geno Atkins

I truly honestly believe if players are avoiding signing with us it's because of the uncertainty with Zac Taylor remaining as head coach.  I mean would you sign on to play with an organization if you didn't know whether or not the coach would be there in 9 months?  I wouldn't.  Personally, I'll always root for my Bengals, however, I'm on the other side of things now to the point where I want Zac Taylor to fail so maybe theyll decide to bring in some competent leadership on the field. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:09 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I truly honestly believe if players are avoiding signing with us it's because of the uncertainty with Zac Taylor remaining as head coach.  I mean would you sign on to play with an organization if you didn't know whether or not the coach would be there in 9 months?  I wouldn't.  Personally, I'll always root for my Bengals, however, I'm on the other side of things now to the point where I want Zac Taylor to fail so maybe theyll decide to bring in some competent leadership on the field. 

So you're saying that players would sign for us if Zac was extended?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:54 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: So you're saying that players would sign for us if Zac was extended?

I personally don't think it would hurt, but I'd NEVER extended Taylor cause he hasn't done anything to deserve it.   Although, what "good" player in their right mind "wants" to play for a coach who's 6-25-1?  I mean i wouldn't be running to play for that coach.  Again, systems change when you have a coaching change. Players get cut.  
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: $17m signing bonus, plus a $110k workout bonus.

So he's making $18.1m year 1. He certainly didn't take some kind of discount to play with KC, he just got it pushed to signing bonus and guaranteed money further down the line.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, the answer to this thread is...

[Image: Joe-Burrow-injury-Bengals.jpg?quality=90...=all&ssl=1]

...that is why people are so mad. I chose not to put the video or GIF or whatnot of the actual injury because that would ruin this thread. I feel like maybe it should have been playing on loop all offseason at PBS for the FO.

didnt joe Tweet PROTECT ME last night?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 03:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: didnt joe Tweet PROTECT ME last night?

Your kidding right?

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 03:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: didnt joe Tweet PROTECT ME last night?

Lol
Reply/Quote