Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why so many retirements in Congress?
Does anybody have any insights or theories? I’ve been following politics for 20 years now and can’t recall a mass exodus like this one.

Is it just age?
Rats fleeing a sinking ship?
Accomplished their agenda, no reason to stay?
(01-29-2018, 04:36 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Does anybody have any insights or theories? I’ve been following politics for 20 years now and can’t recall a mass exodus like this one.

Is it just age?
Rats fleeing a sinking ship?
Accomplished their agenda, no reason to stay?

Fear of getting primaried. The populists in both parties are scaring these establishment progressive types.

If these people lose in the primary they leave with a loss. If they retire then they leave on their own terms. It’s not a good time to be an establishment candidate.
I've considered asking my rep, since he is a higher-ranking member of the GOP in the House. I know, however, that I won't get anything other than the news release answer since he and I have discussed politics before and he knows my opinion of him.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-29-2018, 04:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've considered asking my rep, since he is a higher-ranking member of the GOP in the House. I know, however, that I won't get anything other than the news release answer since he and I have discussed politics before and he knows my opinion of him.

Who is your rep?

We finally got a decent one back in last cycle.
(01-29-2018, 05:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Who is your rep?

We finally got a decent one back in last cycle.

Goodlatte.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-29-2018, 05:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Goodlatte.

Not a bad one. Wished he was tougher on immigration. He isn’t bad but he could be much better.
Another one bites the dust:

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/31/582165923/gowdy-who-rose-to-conservative-fame-with-benghazi-hearings-set-to-retire
(01-31-2018, 05:09 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Another one bites the dust:

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/31/582165923/gowdy-who-rose-to-conservative-fame-with-benghazi-hearings-set-to-retire

He is doing the right thing. This isn’t supposed to be a career. I would t be surprised to see him be the governor eventuallyZ.
(01-31-2018, 05:09 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Another one bites the dust:

I have a hunch that Gowdy could be appointed to the AG position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-31-2018, 07:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have a hunch that Gowdy could be appointed to the AG position.

That seems to be the consensus.  I think he'll make a fine AG.  Sessions is a clown.

Although, why?  I'm not sure the average Trump appointee lasts even a year.  But he does AG for even just a year...and every law firm, lobbyist and PE fund will be offering him millions.  Why play the long game in politics when you can get even richer far quicker?
--------------------------------------------------------

(01-31-2018, 05:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: He is doing the right thing.   This isn’t supposed  to be a career.   I would t be surprised to see him be the governor eventuallyZ.

I like Gowdy, but don't be naive - this is about profile and money.  Gowdy has been a public servant, in some capacity, for all but 4-5 years of his professional career.

He's as much career politician as most anyone else in Washington.
--------------------------------------------------------

(02-02-2018, 12:40 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I like Gowdy, but don't be naive - this is about profile and money.  Gowdy has been a public servant, in some capacity, for all but 4-5 years of his professional career.

Which is why I said he will be governor eventually. The path to the whites house would be AG-Gov-presidential candidate.
(02-02-2018, 12:36 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: That seems to be the consensus.  I think he'll make a fine AG.  Sessions is a clown.

Although, why?  I'm not sure the average Trump appointee lasts even a year.  But he does AG for even just a year...and every law firm, lobbyist and PE fund will be offering him millions.  Why play the long game in politics when you can get even richer far quicker?

(02-02-2018, 12:40 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I like Gowdy, but don't be naive - this is about profile and money.  Gowdy has been a public servant, in some capacity, for all but 4-5 years of his professional career.

(02-02-2018, 12:50 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Which is why I said he will be governor eventually.  The path to the whites house would be AG-Gov-presidential candidate.

Yep.  Sure is "draining the swamp".  Sure is....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
An interesting short read (I just googled it):

https://www.vox.com/polyarchy/2018/2/1/16958988/congress-members-retiring-why
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-02-2018, 12:36 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Although, why?  I'm not sure the average Trump appointee lasts even a year.  But he does AG for even just a year...and every law firm, lobbyist and PE fund will be offering him millions.  Why play the long game in politics when you can get even richer far quicker?

Well, typically, you should look for people that do these jobs because they want to serve the country. People that are drawn to public service have been found to have different motivating factors than money.

Honestly, I think they know this thing is getting sideways no matter which side of the aisle you are on and many don't want to be there when it finally implodes.