Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the Bengals are a Playoff threat
[Image: breakfast5.jpg]
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 12:30 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: We beat a non-playoff team with a bad defense. Barely.

Relax.

Seems like their D is a little more of an unknown yet. Bad last year but they spent a lot of money to fix the problem. 

Don't think we'll know how big of a win this was for a few more games. Hard after one game to judge potential playoff teams. 
Reply/Quote
When is Trae Wayne’s coming back? I admittedly haven’t kept up on him. We sure could use him.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:04 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I enjoyed the game yesterday, but the Vikings are a perpetual underperformer year after year and we almost blew an easy win against them via bad coaching decisions and/or unfortunate mistakes.

Giving up 2 4th down conversions, that 3rd and 24 and needing an iffy fumble stand call (which, if it was ruled down, it would have stood as down, so we were really just extremely lucky that the refs, who didn't see the play, saw all the Bengals pointing and just kind of went with it) to squeak out a win against a team with over 100 yards in penalties is not a great way to show you're playoff contenders.

But a win is a win. This game counts just as much as if we blew them out 38-3, so we'll take it and hopefully we clean up our mistakes and take care of the Dalton led Bears, who looked pretty bad yesterday.

Agreed.  I've said the close losses that coulda been wins of the ZT era are just losses, so this win that coulda been a loss is just a win.  It's week 1 so never get too high nor low.

With that being said, the Bears will be at home so no 10 false starts per offensive drive for them, Montomery is a monster RB, Dalton doesn't suck at 1 PM and they might use Fields more anyways, and so on.  The Rams were just on last night.  Dalton and the Bears would take 10 plays to get what the Rams would get in 2 plays.

At any rate, we had a home opener against a beatable opponent and we got some gifts, but we also played well AND didn't look the gift horse in the mouth.  That Jeremy Hill style fumble was huge...geez.  Nice to be on the other side of that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:15 AM)Takedown Wrote: When is Trae Wayne’s coming back? I admittedly haven’t kept up on him. We sure could use him.

Timetable given should be next week or the week after
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 08:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Oddly, I never saw Hodge???  He wasn't in the stat line and I didn't recall seeing him....I remember seeing Sample, though.  I really think that speed option is all that is missing right now.  

This happens every year, I think. As fans, we perceive pre-season stars to be potential regular season stars but, in reality, pre-season stars are often fighting for existence on the roster rather than regular season playing time.

I remember the year we were on Hard Knocks in 2013, Jayson DiManche was one of the big stories and he played his way onto the roster and I thought "he's going to be a good linebacker for us this year. He looked great in the pre-season."

He basically only played special teams for us.

I like Hodge, but I would never expect that he gets significant playing time this year. Not unless a bunch of injuries occur.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:25 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This happens every year, I think. As fans, we perceive pre-season stars to be potential regular season stars but, in reality, pre-season stars are often fighting for existence on the roster rather than regular season playing time.

I remember the year we were on Hard Knocks in 2013, Jayson DiManche was one of the big stories and he played his way onto the roster and I thought "he's going to be a good linebacker for us this year. He looked great in the pre-season."

I like Hodge, but I would never expect that he gets significant playing time this year. Not unless a bunch of injuries occur.

Hodge has shown good speed off the corner, and will get his chance to see what he can do against starters soon. I expected to see him some yesterday just from a heat rotation of Linemen. They may wait till we have a game well in hand to try him out.
Reply/Quote
The game against the Vikings was won,despite Zac Taylor.Joe Burrow,in post game interview,said he saw something in the Vikings defense that wasn’t going to allow the play that Zac called to work,so he changed it.They only needed inches,to get a first down.Joe lofts it to Uzomah for a 32 yard gain to set up the winning FG in OT.I think some people had forgotten how great a Quarterback Joe Burrow really is.This is a large part of the reason the Bengals are a legitimate playoff contender.
Reply/Quote
If the pass rush can maintain that level of play + the running game remains consistent (4ypc+) paired with an elite QB… this team can certainly be a playoff participant.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 08:43 AM)Trademark Wrote: Burrow called that audible ? The play action ?

I believe he was talking about the pass to CJ.  That was NOT an audible, per say, two plays were called in the huddle, sent in my Zac.  Burrow DID decide which one to use at the line.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:15 AM)Takedown Wrote: When is Trae Wayne’s coming back? I admittedly haven’t kept up on him. We sure could use him.

My gut says he's the Tyler Eifert of the defense.
Reply/Quote
I'm happy too, but pump the brakes homie..We barley beat an average Viking team at home. The middle of the line is still a big problem. Joe was limping after 1 game already.  I think he was sacked 5 times hit numerous other times.. Eli Apple is a huge liability. I won't even get into Zack. Great win none the less.. WHODEY
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:25 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This happens every year, I think. As fans, we perceive pre-season stars to be potential regular season stars but, in reality, pre-season stars are often fighting for existence on the roster rather than regular season playing time.

I know they can only dress so many guys on gameday, but he was our most lethal edge rusher in preseason (with some time in the first quarter against the fins, but I guess they weren't starters).  

They still need a speed edge guy, but the rotation at DT yesterday was outstanding.  All guys made big contributions.  Ogunjobi, Reader, Tupuo, Hill....that rotation was outstanding.  Maybe we could dress Hodge over one of the WRs?  Bengals went 12 personnel more than I think anyone thought and if Hodge can contribute on special teams (I believe he did that as well in preseason), I sure like the idea of him rotating in off the edge to improve the pass rush more than a 6th WR (even though Morgan made a huge play to down that punt).  

Pass rush can effect every snap on defense...and there are way more of them than the special teams snaps.  Maybe sit Mike Thomas?  Would rather see more of Tate anyways.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote