Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Why the Bengals have embraced the lightest offseason schedule in the NFL
Last training camp Steelers took note and played their starters in every preseason game. Tomlin said he wanted to make sure they came out strong against a rested Bengals team. You can bet Cleveland will be ready to pounce as well.

You have to take the team being strong to end the season if there was a choice, but expect slow starts in the Zac era.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 11:18 AM)jj22 Wrote: Last training camp Steelers took note and played their starters in every preseason game. Tomlin said he wanted to make sure they came out strong against a rested Bengals team. You can bet Cleveland will be ready to pounce as well.

You have to take the team being strong to end the season if there was a choice, but expect slow starts in the Zac era.

The loss against pitt was a fluke

And now the interior has chemistry together. And Joe is healthy

I wouldn’t expect a slow start, but Cleveland usually beats cincy, so I’m not expecting a win week 1

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 11:18 AM)jj22 Wrote: Last training camp Steelers took note and played their starters in every preseason game. Tomlin said he wanted to make sure they came out strong against a rested Bengals team. You can bet Cleveland will be ready to pounce as well.

(05-26-2023, 11:22 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: The loss against pitt was a fluke

I wouldn’t expect a slow start, but Cleveland usually beats cincy, so I’m not expecting a win week 1

We gave up 7 sacks that’s on the OL and lack of continuity even counting Joe’s 4 INT. It was a poor decision not getting them some preseason work.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
And the Defense couldn't stop Mitch, which was disappointing. They were healthy and returning starters so they could have used the work.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 11:56 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We gave up 7 sacks that’s on the OL and lack of continuity even counting Joe’s 4 INT. It was a poor decision not getting them some preseason work.

I agree they should’ve had some preseason work. But this year I don’t mind if they sit out. Like I said, the interior already has chemistry from last season

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 12:39 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I agree they should’ve had some preseason work. But this year I don’t mind if they sit out. Like I said, the interior already has chemistry from last season

Injuries can’t be avoided unfortunately. But the secondary needs some work and OL’s regardless of their continuity and chemistry. I don’t disagree with Zac often but do on this. First quarter or 3 series is my suggestion. In last preseason game
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 10:51 AM)SladeX Wrote: Why mess with success? Week 1 is always a crapshoot. We seem rested and ready late in the year twice in a row now. The gelling issues for this team will occur in the secondary.
TBS, if this team is what I think/hope it is, we should see dominance weeks 2-5.

Yep, remember most teams play a 17 game season and are done. We've played over 20 games 2 years in a row. 
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 11:56 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We gave up 7 sacks that’s on the OL and lack of continuity even counting Joe’s 4 INT. It was a poor decision not getting them some preseason work.

We had 2 new oline starters that were healthy and available for preseason and one of them played in preseason games.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 03:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We had 2 new oline starters that were healthy and available for preseason and one of them played in preseason games.

Guess I slept since then. Volson played but not with the two next to him did he? So who could have played?

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 11:22 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: The loss against pitt was a fluke

Good points all around.....if there ever was a fluke, it was that game. Losing a long snapper and it causing all of those issues? Yeah, that's a case study in flukes.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

The Offensive scheme was an issue early in 2022 too they weren't marrying the run and pass. After the Steelers and Cowboys games it was obvious the Bengals were lining up under center to run and shotgun to pass with very little misdirection or play action. Extremely easy offense to game plan for... The Jets game was completely opposite they went really heavy under center lots of play action then dumped that game 4 for the spread shotgun lol. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2023, 10:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: Good points all around.....if there ever was a fluke, it was that game. Losing a long snapper and it causing all of those issues? Yeah, that's a case study in flukes.

Joe Burrow and the defending AFC Champs vs Mitch Trubisky. Should never have been close enough to be a "fluke".

Just simply winning the turnover battle wins you the game 78% of the time over the years. So if the Bengals won that game it would have actually been a bigger fluke than losing it considering the Bengals were -5 in turnover differential. The Chargers recently made history by being the first team in NFL history to lose in the postseason despite having a +5 turnover margin to give you an idea of how fluky it would have been for the Bengals to not lose that game. Not even touching the 7 sacks the Bengals allowed.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2023, 11:14 AM)Synric Wrote: The Offensive scheme was an issue early in 2022 too they weren't marrying the run and pass. After the Steelers and Cowboys games it was obvious the Bengals were lining up under center to run and shotgun to pass with very little misdirection or play action. Extremely easy offense to game plan for... The Jets game was completely opposite they went really heavy under center lots of play action then dumped that game 4 for the spread shotgun lol. 

Clearly the offensive scheme early as was Joe’s reluctance to adjust to the rush 3 drop 8 and 2 high safeties both factored. The poor run game didn’t help either against it. As Joe and Brian both said once he adapted and started the short passing game they did better. But poor scheme or not the poor OL play and Joe cost us that Pitt game. Understandably Joe was rusty.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 03:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Guess I slept since then. Volson played but not with the two next to him did he? So who could have played?

Volson and Karras were the only "new" olinemen healthy all the way through spring training and the preseason.  LC had the hindering back issue and Cappa had some type of core injury.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2023, 08:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Volson and Karras were the only "new" olinemen healthy all the way through spring training and the preseason.  LC had the hindering back issue and Cappa had some type of core injury.

I did realize that. What I meant was I think it would have helped Volson to have played with Jonah on his left and Karras on his right in the preseason.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 10:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: When the team captains have your back, and openly praise your strategy, that bodes well down the stretch. Even at 2-14, this team never laid down. That was what showed me something, and led to my patience with Zac. Having played for an authoritarian type.... you'd dig down deeper for a guy you felt actually listened to you and took your positions into consideration, vs "do it because I said". After all, these guys are supposed to be professionals. If they can't handle self discipline, motivation, and good work habits on their own, they need shown the door. Rookies have rookie camp for that stuff. Veterans should be self policed to a degree, and I think that's how the staff views it.

Well said Wyche. When the vets that have had significant experience playing in the biggest of games praise what Zac and the staff 
are doing it has to be a great sign. Would be nice to start fast for once under Taylor though, there are many reasons why we haven't
as Zac said. I disagree with Sled and Casaer on not having any starters play in the Preseason though. I think chemistry needs to be 
worked on namely with the new players, Orlando Brown and the other Tackle on the right side and the new starting Safeties.

I know practice does the same thing, but I cannot help but think that if the OL and Burrow were healthy and had chemistry going, 
we wouldn't of started out 0-2. This year we have a shot at being healthy and gaining the early chemistry in TC and the Preseason.

I know a guy like Orlando could get hurt in the Preseason as Sled and Casaer alluded to but what Xeno said also makes sense. You
need to prepared for players getting hurt anyways and a player can get hurt in the first regular season game just the same.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2023, 01:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well said Wyche. When the vets that have had significant experience playing in the biggest of games praise what Zac and the staff 
are doing it has to be a great sign. Would be nice to start fast for once under Taylor though, there are many reasons why we haven't
as Zac said. I disagree with Sled and Casaer on not having any starters play in the Preseason though. I think chemistry needs to be 
worked on namely with the new players, Orlando Brown and the other Tackle on the right side and the new starting Safeties.

I know practice does the same thing, but I cannot help but think that if the OL and Burrow were healthy and had chemistry going, 
we wouldn't of started out 0-2. This year we have a shot at being healthy and gaining the early chemistry in TC and the Preseason.

I know a guy like Orlando could get hurt in the Preseason as Sled and Casaer alluded to but what Xeno said also makes sense. You
need to prepared for players getting hurt anyways and a player can get hurt in the first regular season game just the same.

Cappa got hurt during the last Ravens game because we couldn't sit him or anyone else. That poor start played a big role in that. The coin toss shit didn't help either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Say what you want about training hard for years and years, but it does have a cumulative effect on the body. We do have limitations regardless of what we do for a living. Every body has it's breaking point and once it's broke it rarely unbreaks.. These guys are always pushing their bodies to the max because of the earning potential in most cases. They only get a small window to make that money and if they break along the way and have a gazillion bucks in the bank already they have a definite head start on most of us mere mortals. Back when I was a teenager nobody was making 50 million bucks to get beat up.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2023, 11:17 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Joe Burrow and the defending AFC Champs vs Mitch Trubisky. Should never have been close enough to be a "fluke".

Just simply winning the turnover battle wins you the game 78% of the time over the years. So if the Bengals won that game it would have actually been a bigger fluke than losing it considering the Bengals were -5 in turnover differential. The Chargers recently made history by being the first team in NFL history to lose in the postseason despite having a +5 turnover margin to give you an idea of how fluky it would have been for the Bengals to not lose that game. Not even touching the 7 sacks the Bengals allowed.

If Burrow was not recovering from his burst appendix, we would have won that game hands down. Sometimes shit just happens. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 08:46 AM)grampahol Wrote: Say what you want about training hard for years and years, but it does have a cumulative effect on the body. We do have limitations regardless of what we do for a living. Every body has it's breaking point and once it's broke it rarely unbreaks.. These guys are always pushing their bodies to the max because of the earning potential in most cases. They only get a small window to make that money and if they break along the way and have a gazillion bucks in the bank already they have a definite head start on most of us mere mortals. Back when I was a teenager nobody was making 50 million bucks to get beat up.. lol

No young man wants to hear that stuff. They’re bulletproof and life’s highway stretches endlessly ahead…
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote