Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the Bengals will win in 2017
(05-04-2017, 01:54 PM)grampahol Wrote: It doesn't matter what round players come from or if they were even drafted. If it were only a matter of which round or which position of the round. If that was the case Cleveland would have won the super bowl for the past 15 years. It's actually quite rare for first round picks to carry entire teams and who wants that scenario anyway? Every season, not counting comp picks and UDFAs 224 players get picked. Only 32 are in the first round and of those several never see the field.. 
Bottom line, don't get hung up on which round players come from..

While Round drafted in doesn't exclusively predict success...more Pro Bowl players are drafted in the 1st Round than the 4th.

Here's a good article that examines Pro Bowl players selected by Round from 2000 to 2007.

1st Round: 12.5 Pro Bowl Players drafted per year.
2nd Round: 5.5
3rd Round: 2.0
4th Round: 2.375
5th Round: 1.625
6th Round: 1.5
7th Round: .75
UDFA: 4.125

http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/4/27/2137559/odds-of-getting-a-pro-bowler-by-round-years-2000-2007
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 10:46 AM)jason Wrote: Geno Atkins was a 4th round pick too. He's pretty good.

So was Matthais Askew and he wasn't. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 02:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While Round drafted in doesn't exclusively predict success...more Pro Bowl players are drafted in the 1st Round than the 4th.

Here's a good article that examines Pro Bowl players selected by Round from 2000 to 2007.

1st Round: 12.5 Pro Bowl Players drafted per year.
2nd Round: 5.5
3rd Round: 2.0
4th Round: 2.375
5th Round: 1.625
6th Round: 1.5
7th Round: .75
UDFA: 4.125

http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/4/27/2137559/odds-of-getting-a-pro-bowler-by-round-years-2000-2007
Interesting how the 4th round produces more pro-bowlers than the 3rd round.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 04:40 PM)Takedown Wrote: Interesting how the 4th round produces more pro-bowlers than the 3rd round.

Yep...and UDFA produces a decent bit...although there are only 31/32 guys picked in each round each year and hundreds of UDFA's in camps.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 04:34 PM)J24 Wrote: So was Matthais Askew and he wasn't. 

Chances are they won't be as good though...so our overall line should be worse than last year. Whitworth has give up just 4 sacks over the past 3 years. Zeitler has give up just 10 sacks in his 5 year career. Their replacements will surely give up more.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 05:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Chances are they won't be as good though...so our overall line should be worse than last year. Whitworth has give up just 4 sacks over the past 3 years. Zeitler has give up just 10 sacks in his 5 year career. Their replacements will surely give up more.

How many did they give up last year each? That is the new moving benchmark, not many years ago.

Team gave up 41 sacks;

Anyone know who gave up each one in 2016?

Whittworth
Ced
Fisher
Winston
Bodine
Zeitler
Boling
TJ Johnson
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 01:34 PM)grampahol Wrote: The very same thing can be said about predictions about guys being horrible. There's never really any shortage of people rooting for their least favorite players to fail or people who think they know much more than any of the coaching staff. 
Personally I have no idea how this season will turn out for any player. 
You know it doesn't take every single player to have a HOF season to be successful. If most of the players have an above average season we may just see a great season overall and its not unheard of to see someone who has struggled mightily turn around and have an outstanding season. If it weren't for that one simple fact nobody would ever feel optimistic about any season.  

Good point.  I tend to believe that the trend of five straight postseason appearances is the norm, and the one-year 6-9-1 record was more the exception.  
Reply/Quote
Good thread SHRacerX & Iagree with most of it. Nugent was horrible last year. And their reluctance to pull him didn't help. This year will boil down to how the O-line performs.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 09:48 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Nice post racer.  Excellent points.  Aj greens health and the kicking game alone should help.  So should our schedule.  

The o line should see some benefits with speed we added, but they still have to the job.  I see that group as the biggest decided factor to a good season or a disappointing one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We rise or fall with them.  We are pretty good to very good everywhere else.

How must if feel to a guy to know a season is riding on his shoulders?  On the bright side, reports say Ced is working like he knows it's so.  Nobody wants to be the weakest link.

If the OLine is decent, we have a shot against anybody.  If it somehow becomes a strength, we become downright loaded and dangerous.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Damnit! I am getting excited again. However, there's Marvin's laughable coaching and a horrible supporting cast that could take a SB caliber team who would go 16-0 and he would turn them into a 12-4 team. Still a great record, but the losses are on the coaching staff. Then you have the fact that he really doesn't play rookies. Our precious draft was amazing on paper but they wont see the field often, as he will be coaching for next year. This will yet again, bring a selling point to Mike Brown to keep him around because of progress and totally annihilate 2017. I've watched this team for so many years, only to see the same thing over and over.

When the games are played, I will be back on the gameday threads trying to keep the enthusiasm up like always. Yet, I have to tell you from past Marvin years (and I think deep down most know it too) that this will be more of the same. As long as we have Marvin, we are not going to the show!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:38 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, but I was stoked prior to 2016 season for the OL.

Of course, they performed as the worst unit when all is said and done so we had to make some changes, time will tell if we upgraded the OL from 2016 season.

Time will tell if we upgraded ?? They lost their 2 best linemen and have added nothing !

Not sure how there's a chance for an upgrade ?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 12:43 PM)BengalChris Wrote: If Ogbuehi had shown any promise at all last year I could get behind this, but he didn't. I'm rooting for Fisher to take over at LT by mid-year (if not earlier) with Andre holding down the RT spot. We have some young guards who can start getting some playing time at RG.

It may not even be an issue cause Ogbuehi has yet to be healthy for either of his previous training camps.

Ogbuehi was drafted knowing he had surgery and would be out maybe all year.. so really he only had one preseason and yes was limited after injury.  He did stay healthy during the season.. I am happy they have settled on putting him at the position he is best suited too and I hope he does finally gets a full preseason.. I actually believe he will be the most improved on the team.. when Willie and Munoz both have come out and said he does have the tools to play tackle, i feel with a set position , offseason work and a healthy preseason he will be the most improved on this team next year. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 11:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Time will tell if we upgraded ?? They lost their 2 best linemen and have added nothing !

Not sure how there's a chance for an upgrade ?

They added a veteran that can help fill the void plus the young tackles can only go up... I do think the speed they have added plus Mixon will help the line not hurt it
Reply/Quote
Why is only pass rushing ever mentioned?

The defense could not stop the run. The offense could not score points they led very few times last year...They rarely had an opportunity to just rush the passer.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Why the Bengals won't go far in 2017:

[Image: lewis-marvin-6515-us-news-getty-ftr_1f4n...1010616187]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:04 AM)GodFather Wrote: Why the Bengals won't go far in 2017:

[Image: lewis-marvin-6515-us-news-getty-ftr_1f4n...1010616187]

Yet you will probably beat us in week 3. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 09:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damnit! I am getting excited again. However, there's Marvin's laughable coaching and a horrible supporting cast that could take a SB caliber team who would go 16-0 and he would turn them into a 12-4 team. Still a great record, but the losses are on the coaching staff. Then you have the fact that he really doesn't play rookies. Our precious draft was amazing on paper but they wont see the field often, as he will be coaching for next year. This will yet again, bring a selling point to Mike Brown to keep him around because of progress and totally annihilate 2017. I've watched this team for so many years, only to see the same thing over and over.

When the games are played, I will be back on the gameday threads trying to keep the enthusiasm up like always. Yet, I have to tell you from past Marvin years (and I think deep down most know it too) that this will be more of the same. As long as we have Marvin, we are not going to the show!
The Bengals have done so many un-Bengal-like things this off season that the status quo really seems to have changed.  I believe the shake up will continue and we will see a new approach this season.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 08:09 AM)McC Wrote: The Bengals have done so many un-Bengal-like things this off season that the status quo really seems to have changed.  I believe the shake up will continue and we will see a new approach this season.

Gawd I hope you're right because I'm so sick of wash, rinse, repeat.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 08:09 AM)McC Wrote: The Bengals have done so many un-Bengal-like things this off season that the status quo really seems to have changed.  I believe the shake up will continue and we will see a new approach this season.

For me it is simple:  One word... Attack!

Attack on offense.  I have heard Brady and Co. say how they simply try to score every time they have the ball.  That sounds incredibly simplistic, but that is so far from what the Bengals do...if they get a lead they take the foot off the gas and try to protect the lead with a lot of conservative three and outs.  Keep your foot on the opponent's neck and don't let them breathe (Atlanta Falcons).  

Attack on defense.  How about some more pressure schemes?  I liked when I saw the occasional safety blitz, but they were too few and far between.  I understand you get pressure with your front four in our 4-3 scheme, but you have to change it up every now and then to keep teams off balance.  

Attack on special teams.  I am not saying they need to become the Seahawks of the 80s with Jim Zorn and Effrin Herarra, but have some fakes designed and don't be afraid to call them.  

Bengals 2017 season:  Attack
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 08:42 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Gawd I hope you're right because I'm so sick of wash, rinse, repeat.

Someone on the visitor's sideline hung a large sign near the upper deck last season that read:

Bengals 2016:  Watch, Wince, Repeat

I have to admit, it made me chuckle.
Reply/Quote