Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why the Bengals will win the AFCN
(06-10-2017, 01:43 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Do they?  Aside from running back (and Mixon is an unknown), where do you see them better position by position?  I know National pundits will say QB, but Dalton has been every bit as good as piggy in their recent matches, but had some bad calls/bad luck.  

I also see our defense as better.  

Not trying to homer, but honestly, if everyone is healthy (and that is a big if), where are they better?  Is their offensive line superior without the weapons they have had spreading defenses out?  Plus, they get to hold without flags, so I guess they have that going for them.  

A lot of being a winner is attitude and mindset.  Andy is a better QB than national media likes to give him credit for, I have confidence in him.  What needs to occur is for the OL to unite as a group, and develop a bit of attitude.  What they lack in talent and experience at Tackle, can be made up for by refusing to lay down.  Play scrappy, hard, all the way through the whistle.  They may even have to eat a few 15 yd. flags early on, but that is how it's done.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2017, 10:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A lot of being a winner is attitude and mindset.  Andy is a better QB than national media likes to give him credit for, I have confidence in him.  What needs to occur is for the OL to unite as a group, and develop a bit of attitude.  What they lack in talent and experience at Tackle, can be made up for by refusing to lay down.  Play scrappy, hard, all the way through the whistle.  They may even have to eat a few 15 yd. flags early on, but that is how it's done.

Great reminder that winning is an attitude!  ThumbsUp
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2017, 10:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A lot of being a winner is attitude and mindset.  Andy is a better QB than national media likes to give him credit for, I have confidence in him.  What needs to occur is for the OL to unite as a group, and develop a bit of attitude.  What they lack in talent and experience at Tackle, can be made up for by refusing to lay down.  Play scrappy, hard, all the way through the whistle.  They may even have to eat a few 15 yd. flags early on, but that is how it's done.

Exactly.  The first series of the first game.  Punch the ratbirds in the mouth (metaphorically speaking).  The easiest way to help an offensive line that is struggling in pass blocking is to let them fire off the ball and run block.  Andy has only had a really good rushing attack one of his seasons.  I think if the rushing game gets on track, everything from an offensive line standpoint should improve.  
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 12:14 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I know everyone is questioning the O Line and for good reason since the Bengals let their two best O Linemen walk. But looking deeper, the Bengals really didn't try very hard to bring them back either, so there's that and the Bengals, I believe, think that Fisher and Ogbuhei will be as good if not better than those who went to other teams.

Then, throw in this Draft that the Bengals just had on O and D, the pickup of Minter plus losing the slow and old Maualuga and Peko and Billings from last years draft, a new kicker and that CB from last years draft. The Bengals are going to be pretty good.

Now let's look at the rest of the AFCN.

The Browns are the Browns and will always be the Browns although they will be better but I don't see them ever being good enough to win the AFCN...not in the next ten years anyway.

The Ravens aren't the same and will be just good enough for a few years to stay right around .500. They will be good again once Flacco retires and they can focus on a new QB and system.

The Steelers will only be good as long as Rothlisberger can stay healthy and I do not see him playing more than six games this year. He's getting old and takes too many chances leaving him open for big hits.

Just my opinion.

Og will not be better than Whit was but we still don't know if Whit will fall off with age in LA. Could of been the right
decision for all we know. Fisher will be much better being able to concentrate on one position. I don't know of a player
being moved around that much in his first two years, let alone a Lineman. Dude has done all he has been asked of.

A healthy Boling and Andre Smith at the Guard positions should be an upgrade from last year especially in the run game.

Mixon is an upgrade over Hill big time and Gio is coming off injury. Mixon is great in pass protection, he should have a
monster rookie season. This will take pressure off of Og, Fish and especially Dalton.

Your assessment could be right on but i can never just count the Stoolers out, even if the Pig is getting old.

We need to force him into retirement, we can with Willis and Lawson in the fold and...

BILLINGS! Shocked
Reply/Quote
- The Bengals can definitely take the division if the line improves. Big if...but it's possible. I believe in the talent everywhere else.

- I hate to say it, but the Steelers have the best shot at taking the division. They do need Ben and Bell to stay healthy.

- The Ravens are still bad on paper and have been lacking talent for several years now. The 8-8 record was a smoke and mirrors job by Harbaugh, who is a really good coach on a bad team. Ozzie hasn't lived up to his reputation lately. They rely too much on Flacco (672 attempts!) when he's just a mediocre QB.

- Browns are a couple years away and still don't have a QB.

If I were predicting the North this year, I'd say...

Steelers: 11-5
Bengals: 9-7
Ravens: 6-10
Browns: 4-12
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
My prediction record wise if the O-line holds up....

Bengals - 13-3
Steelers - 11-5
Ravens - 9-7
Browns - 6-10

If not...

Steelers - 11-5
Ravens - 9-7
Bengals - 7-9
Browns - 6-10
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2017, 01:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly.  The first series of the first game.  Punch the ratbirds in the mouth (metaphorically speaking).  The easiest way to help an offensive line that is struggling in pass blocking is to let them fire off the ball and run block.  Andy has only had a really good rushing attack one of his seasons.  I think if the rushing game gets on track, everything from an offensive line standpoint should improve.  

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that anyone "play dirty", but I am stating that they should play hard nosed.  Even if an individual gets beaten on a play, don't give up, send a message that you won't let anything go by unchecked.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
At some point in this season, they will shoot themselves in the foot like they have done for the past 26 years.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2017, 11:03 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: At some point in this season, they will shoot themselves in the foot like they have done for the past 26 years.

Uh, the point of the thread was "Why the Bengals will win the AFCN", not "Lame old clichés as to why the Bengals won't win the AFCN".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
My prediction:

Bengals 11-5
Steelers 11-5
Cleveland 8-8
Baltimore 5-11

Bengals win tie-breaker and secure the 3rd seed.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 12:00 AM)EatonFan Wrote: My prediction:

Bengals 11-5
Steelers 11-5
Cleveland 8-8
Baltimore 5-11

Bengals win tie-breaker and secure the 3rd seed.

8-8 in Cleveland? I think Hue is a good coach but he still doesn't have the answer at QB. Kizer might be the guy long term but if they start him this year they'll be a 3 win team and that kid will be done like so many before him.

As for the Bengals winning this division, they have as much talent as anyone else in the division on defense and at WR and RB but the issue is at the most critical point, the line. That is where it all hinges. The line performs, this team can return to the playoffs with ease, the line struggles and this team will be fighting to avoid a last place finish.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 04:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 8-8 in Cleveland? I think Hue is a good coach but he still doesn't have the answer at QB. Kizer might be the guy long term but if they start him this year they'll be a 3 win team and that kid will be done like so many before him.

As for the Bengals winning this division, they have as much talent as anyone else in the division on defense and at WR and RB but the issue is at the most critical point, the line. That is where it all hinges. The line performs, this team can return to the playoffs with ease, the line struggles and this team will be fighting to avoid a last place finish.

The Stains have had some pretty damn good drafts the last couple of years and Hue should right the ship a bit.

I see them winning around 6 games.

Spot on about the line once again, this is where our season hinges.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2017, 11:40 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Sorry guys, but I think the Steelers win the division. They have a better offense. It will take a year or two for Mixon and Ross to adjust to the NFL speed. I think our future is bright in a few years.
Don't forget the perennial "being outcoached" factor Sad
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 02:44 PM)Derrick Wrote: Don't forget the perennial "being outcoached" factor Sad

Marv is also a Steeler fan which certainly doesn't help.

This is the main reason why we have not beat the Steelers very much, Marv.

We have to carry his lame ass if we want to win. Our Defense is better than theirs right now and so could our Offense if this
O-line can play well. We are faster, more talented and are just as physical. We just don't get calls to go our way and our coach
sucks at coaching up our team when we play these bastids.
Reply/Quote
Like I posted in another thread, Marvin Lewis treats every game like its the third game during the regular season against a non conference team. That's EVERY game be it regular season or playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 03:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Like I posted in another thread, Marvin Lewis treats every game like its the third game during the regular season against a non conference team. That's EVERY game be it regular season or playoffs.

It is Bullshit man, the teams that win it all want it more than the other teams when it matters the most.

This is why he needs to be replaced more than anything. No urgency, plus he doesn't believe in adjusting during the game
which is down right astounding. Marvin Lewis is a miracle of nature, he just doesn't get it and does the same thing over and
over expecting different results.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 03:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Like I posted in another thread, Marvin Lewis treats every game like its the third game during the regular season against a non conference team. That's EVERY game be it regular season or playoffs.

Spot on! This team doesn't play or do any of the things in the playoffs that got them there. 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 07:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Spot on! This team doesn't play or do any of the things in the playoffs that got them there. 

Probably the biggest what if, what if we played like we do in the regular season in the Playoffs?
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 10:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Probably the biggest what if, what if we played like we do in the regular season in the Playoffs?

Then we'd for sure have a playoff win or two under our belt over the last several years.  Some weeks we look unstoppable.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Plus there's this. I'm going to the home opener, and it will be my third game ever. They've dominated the other games I attended. So mark us 1 - 0 with a division win right out of the gate.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote