Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the NFL is in trouble
(12-16-2017, 10:21 PM)Antares Wrote: You are tired of the whining and I am damned sure tired of all the unsolicited "advice" I get from fine folks such as yourself. So I guess we're even.  Cool

I guess I can't understand someone who doesn't respect the players still caring about the game.  If they're the unpatriotic individuals you paint them to be, then they arenlt worth your time, nor by extension is the NFL or this board.   

But, enough pontification.   Here's your takeaway:

Quote:Jungle Noise:  The place to discuss anything and everything related to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Again, a simple concept to grasp.  This does not belong in this forum.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 10:21 PM)Antares Wrote: You are tired of the whining and I am damned sure tired of all the unsolicited "advice" I get from fine folks such as yourself. So I guess we're even.  Cool

Do you know what unsolicited means?  

(12-16-2017, 09:30 PM)Antares Wrote: It's just my opinion. You have no opinion? No clue why the NFL is tailing off? I'd love to hear your thoughts as to why this is happening. Ready Go!

(12-16-2017, 09:42 PM)Antares Wrote: NEWSFLASH:

I'm not the reason that the NFL is in decline. If you disagree with my assessment, I would kindly ask you to provide your reason why this is happening.

(12-16-2017, 09:49 PM)Antares Wrote: Jeez dude. Simma down. Take a deep breath. You are blaming me for a problem that I did not create. The NFL can't simply ignore all this and hope it goes away. As I said, if my points are not what is wrong, then what is?

(12-16-2017, 10:04 PM)Antares Wrote: Why do you think that the NFL is having a bad year? If you do not believe any of the reasons that I mentioned, they why? Any ideas?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 09:21 PM)Antares Wrote: It's no secret, that the NFL is in trouble. Ratings are down, fewer people at the games. My assessment.

1) The kneelers. We have gazillionaire crybabies living in the greatest country in history, where they are treated like Gods, taking a knee for the flag that thousands died to defend. They can go to hell.

2) The zebras. They think they are the show. The constant flag fest makes some games unwatchable.

3) No drama. The same teams year in and year out are taking home the trophy. Boring.

4) The fans. When you go to a game, you are surrounded by nit wits. 30 and 40 year old men who handle their alcohol worse than a frat boy. I am embarrassed for them.

5) The players. Too many thugs acting thuggish.

6) The gouging and the greed.  Loyal fans are rewarded by the teams with price gouging. Nearly ten bucks for a beer and 100 or 200 bucks for tickets. While Roger brings in 50 million a year.

7) They are working against physics. The players are bigger, stronger, and faster than they have ever been. Leading to more violent impacts. The NFL does not know how to handle it. So they use their beloved yellow flag. Flags are being thrown for nothing more than hard hits. Fans hate this.

8) Other sports. Right now MLB is just an excellent game. This last post season was superb. Great stuff. No kneelers.
1) Yes this has hurt ratings

2) There was talk of full-time refs, but I agree they are bad this year. The NFL could easily fix this

3) Not really. The Jags, Rams, and Eagles are all chasing the party this year

4) Fans have always acted the fool; nothing new here. I will say Bengal fans are among the worst I have seen at games

5) Once again nothing new here, NFL has good guys and bad guys

6) No problems with owners charging the price they see fit. Just get slammed at the tailgate

7) A big reason is the pads they are allowed to wear. Everybody wear's "punter pads" now. Make them suit up proper. 

8) MLB rates just slightly higher in my playbook than the NBA and that's pretty fr down the list. 

The NFL IS in trouble, but I think it is because they are a victim of their success. Too many ways to watch it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 09:34 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Seconded.  If the kneeling an the refs and whatever else hurts your feelings, then just be on your way and stop crying about it.  

Like all the other threads on these topics, this doesn't belong in JN, anyway.

Instead of just criticizing the OP for his opinion, offer some intelligent ideas yourself.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 09:57 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: A the NFL isn't in trouble it's still the most popular sport in America and it is growing around the world.

Ratings are down 5 percent according to SI.com. And then there's all those empty seats. Whoa.
Reply/Quote
The dog whistling in this original post is actually quite entertaining.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 10:39 PM)Antares Wrote: Ratings are down 5 percent according to SI.com. And then there's all those empty seats. Whoa.

And revenue is up around $900 million.  Also, surely a Bengals fan knows what an empty stadium looked like before this season.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 10:37 PM)Derrick Wrote: Instead of just criticizing the OP for his opinion, offer some intelligent ideas yourself.

I did: Post in the right forum.  That's pretty critical thinking right there.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 10:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do you know what unsolicited means?  

You seem to be a little more annoyed at me than I am with you. But I'm cool with that. You do realize that this is an entertainment forum right? You don't seem to be entertained. And no. Go back and read it all again. No advice was requested. But I did ask you what you thought of the NFL. See the difference?

And remember. NFL=entertainment=fun............Have fun!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 10:48 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I did: Post in the right forum.  That's pretty critical thinking right there.

I'm a rebel. So Uhm nope.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Alright, this thread has now been moved to Around the NFL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 10:51 PM)Antares Wrote: You seem to be a little more annoyed at me than I am with you. But I'm cool with that. You do realize that this is an entertainment forum right? You don't seem to be entertained. And no. Go back and read it all again. No advice was requested. But I did ask you what you thought of the NFL. See the difference?

And remember. NFL=entertainment=fun............Have fun!

I don't think I've heard the "Woahhhh you are totally spazzing out, dude and I'm super calm!" way of losing an argument since junior high.  Nicely done.

Anywho, I should be off.  Enjoy complaining and then complaining when people complain about your complaining.

(12-16-2017, 10:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Alright, this thread has now been moved to Around the NFL.

It'd probably be more at home in a latrine. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 10:52 PM)Antares Wrote: I'm a rebel. So Uhm nope.  ThumbsUp

Sorry, rebel, you've been moved to the right forum  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 10:39 PM)Antares Wrote: Ratings are down 5 percent according to SI.com. And then there's all those empty seats. Whoa.

All network television ratings are on the steady decline down.  Not specific to the NFL.  MLB rating were down 6% compared to last year.  Ratings don't tell the whole story.  As others have said, revenue is at an all time high. 
Reply/Quote
watching baseball is about as much fun as watching people fish isn't baseball for people over 60
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 10:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And revenue is up around $900 million.  Also, surely a Bengals fan knows what an empty stadium looked like before this season.

For revenue to be up, fewer people must spend more money.

Fewer butts in the seats
Fewer TV viewers.
Fewer consessions
Reply/Quote
Saturation

Is in my opinion part of the problem as well. We now have NFL football on:

Thursday Night, Sunday morning from London, Sunday at 1, Sunday at 4, Sunday Night, and of course Monday night. And now since college is over on Saturday.

The NFL in a bad way needs to drop the Thursday Night game like a bad habit, it's just to much.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 11:04 PM)seahawkscheat Wrote: watching baseball is about as much fun as watching people fish isn't baseball for people over 60

Sure. But did you know that a four hour football game contains about ten minutes of action? Most of it is filled by commercials, Zebras huddling, players milling about, instant replays and other incredibly exciting activities. In fact, it's getting so bad that people have to be drunk to enjoy it. I know. I've been to games.

What could the NFL do to improve this? Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 10:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1) Yes this has hurt ratings

2) There was talk of full-time refs, but I agree they are bad this year. The NFL could easily fix this

3) Not really. The Jags, Rams, and Eagles are all chasing the party this year

4) Fans have always acted the fool; nothing new here. I will say Bengal fans are among the worst I have seen at games

5) Once again nothing new here, NFL has good guys and bad guys

6) No problems with owners charging the price they see fit. Just get slammed at the tailgate

7) A big reason is the pads they are allowed to wear. Everybody wear's "punter pads" now. Make them suit up proper. 

8) MLB rates just slightly higher in my playbook than the NBA and that's pretty fr down the list. 

The NFL IS in trouble, but I think it is because they are a victim of their success. Too many ways to watch it. 

#7 is a great point. Something I’ve never even thought about. Not a GD knee or thigh pad in sight on skill guys.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 11:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Saturation

Is in my opinion part of the problem as well. We now have NFL football on:

Thursday Night, Sunday morning from London, Sunday at 1, Sunday at 4, Sunday Night, and of course Monday night. And now since college is over on Saturday.

The NFL in a bad way needs to drop the Thursday Night game like a bad habit, it's just to much.

Absolutely a valid point. That is not the only change that could be made, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. 

But the physics thing is a big deal too. We're going to see more penalties for hard hitting not fewer. That definitely frustrates the fans.
Reply/Quote