Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the draft is so important
Looking at 2016 we have used everyone of these guys and they are still with the team. Not only have they contributed but have played key roles with the exception of core this was a hell of a draft.

Round Player Position College Pick Announcement Pick A
Round 1 William Jackson III CB Houston
Round 2 Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh
Round 3 Nick Vigil LB
Round 4 Andrew Billings DT Baylor
Round 5 Christian Westerman OG Arizona State
Round 6 Cody Core WR Ole Miss
Round 7 Clayton Fejedelem S Illinois

Looking at 2015;

Round 1, pick No. 21: Cedric Ogbuehi, OL, Texas A&M
Round 2, pick No. 53: Jake Fisher, OL, Oregon
Round 3, pick No. 85: Tyler Kroft, TE, Rutgers
Round 3, pick No. 99: Paul Dawson, LB, TCU
Round 4, pick No. 120: Josh Shaw, DB, USC
Round 4, pick No. 135: Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State
Round 5, pick No. 157, C.J. Uzomah, TE, Auburn
Round 6, pick No. 197, Derron Smith, DB, Fresno State
Round 7, pick No. 238, Mario Alford, WR, West Virginia

What an awful defeat, Cj, and kroft have been good but man we struck out big time. My question would be, besides Marvin what scouts help decide who to draft. I never thought I would see a 7th round pick be more valuable than that of our 2015 first and second round picks.
Reply/Quote
Even the best teams have weak drafts, just look at the Pats who quite frankly do not draft as well as the Bengals do. But when you have a weak draft or two in a row you have to recognize it quickly and adjust your roster in other ways to fill those age gaps. That is what the Pats excel at and the Bengals are quite weak at. We hang on to loser draft picks too long. You need to assess the players drafted quickly so you can make other decisions to compensate. Drafting is a critical player component, but not the only one.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 02:30 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Even the best teams have weak drafts, just look at the Pats who quite frankly do not draft as well as the Bengals do. But when you have a weak draft or two in a row you have to recognize it quickly and adjust your roster in other ways to fill those age gaps. That is what the Pats excel at and the Bengals are quite weak at. We hang on to loser draft picks too long. You need to assess the players drafted quickly so you can make other decisions to compensate. Drafting is a critical player component, but not the only one.

I agree I just can’t believe how we can’t find someone that works for a better organization pay them more money to scout for us and get better picks.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 02:24 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Looking at 2016 we have used everyone of these guys and they are still with the team. Not only have they contributed but have played key roles with the exception of core this was a hell of a draft.

Round 3 Nick Vigil LB

Looking at 2015;

What an awful defeat, Cj, and kroft have been good but man we struck out big time. My question would be, besides Marvin what scouts help decide who to draft. I never thought I would see a 7th round pick be more valuable than that of our 2015 first and second round picks.

clearly the draft is important...and we've had some really good ones which fuelled the core of the playoff team.

The reason that 2016 draft is looking particularly strong as whether early or late round we have a starter or key contributor nearly across the board (2012 was also great in that respect...MJones and Iloka both in 5th round for goodness sake!)

Some of our drafts have been good but top heavy with nothing at all from mid/late rounds...other times we've found gems later.  

Based on what we saw yesterday i think the 2017 draft could be one we look back on as a turning point (Ross, Mixon, Willis, Glasgow, Lawson, Evans, Wilson) ...that's a lot of talent in all 3 phases to get from one draft.

I've a feeling that this years class will not be seen as stellar long term - Price and Hubbard as steady contributors...maybe Bates will be the best of the lot
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 02:24 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Looking at 2016 we have used everyone of these guys and they are still with the team. Not only have they contributed but have played key roles with the exception of core this was a hell of a draft.

Round 3 Nick Vigil LB

Looking at 2015;

I have to blame 2015 partly on Alexander's influence.  But I thought Dawson was a steal so I was wrong there.  I still think Shaw is a good player and prolly better than McCrae.  Hardison sufferred injuries I believe.   Fisher still may work out.  So, Fisher, Kroft, Uzomah are decent but not great haul for the draft.  But yes, the Bengals whiffed on 2015.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 02:36 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I agree I just can’t believe how we can’t find someone that works for a better organization pay them more money to scout for us and get better picks.

For the most part, we actually do draft well since Tobin took over. the two areas where we have not had much success have been LB and OL. The team should be trying to figure out why. They are not evaluating the prospects properly in these areas like they are in others. 

Any team or business that wants to improve has to evaluate mistakes. Maybe they rely too heavily on the position coaches or maybe it is something else. 

I have many issues with how this team is run, the actually drafting I am fine with from an overall perspective. We are also good at getting solid UDFA.  

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 02:30 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Even the best teams have weak drafts, just look at the Pats who quite frankly do not draft as well as the Bengals do. But when you have a weak draft or two in a row you have to recognize it quickly and adjust your roster in other ways to fill those age gaps. That is what the Pats excel at and the Bengals are quite weak at. We hang on to loser draft picks too long. You need to assess the players drafted quickly so you can make other decisions to compensate. Drafting is a critical player component, but not the only one.

^This^

The draft is a crap shoot, always has been always will be. Clearly our 2015 draft was a giant coming out of our shoes and falling down swing and a miss.

But like I C says where MB and the Bengals fail miserably is recognizing it and admitting it and attempting to fix it with players other than washed up tail end of their career has beens.

The window of opportunity is short with a given set of players.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 02:36 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I agree I just can’t believe how we can’t find someone that works for a better organization pay them more money to scout for us and get better picks.

Very few teams draft better than the Bengals, even the best teams in the league.  The teams that are better than us are often better because they use free agency to fill hole when they miss on a draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 06:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Very few teams draft better than the Bengals, even the best teams in the league.  The teams that are better than us are often better because they use free agency to fill hole when they miss on a draft pick.

And they coach better, get the young players into the system and on the field faster. 

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 06:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: ^This^

The draft is a crap shoot, always has been always will be. Clearly our 2015 draft was a giant coming out of our shoes and falling down swing and a miss.

But like I C says where MB and the Bengals fail miserably is recognizing it and admitting it and attempting to fix it with players other than washed up tail end of their career has beens.

The window of opportunity is short with a given set of players.

And drafting OL 1 and 2 in 2015 was NOT a bad thing to do, actually quite smart. It is just the specific players they chose that bagged. 

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 06:31 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: And they coach better, get the young players into the system and on the field faster. 

No. Not really.

see:  http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Marvin-Lewis-playing-rookies?highlight=marvin
Reply/Quote