Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the hell cant we get linebacker right?
(03-23-2018, 02:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd prefer someone a little better in coverage over Brown when it comes to WILL, but that's just me. I'd much rather Burfict at WILL than Brown.

Also, Lawson was not the starting SAM last year, Vigil was. Can't find the article link that I read a few weeks ago, but it said Vigil was still the starting SAM with Brown at MIKE and Burfict at WILL.

I know Lawson wasn't starting last year it was his first time playing as a stack linebacker. Vigil is the incumbent so he will be penciled in to start, but their vision of classifying him as a LB rather than an end is so he can stand up in the base and kick down in the sub packages. I will guess Lawson eventually takes over for Vigil at some point.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You'd think a team with a HC who was a Super Bowl winning DC and LB coach before that would have much better success getting good LBers and/or developing them.

If he only had time to teach them technique.... Oh wait, wrong coach.
Spotting good LB's isn't to hard, especially at the college level, but can they be good at an NFL level? That's the hard part.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 09:36 AM)Au165 Wrote: I mean when you look at the list, look at the actual draft capitol spent on them. That pretty much tells you why we haven't found success, the idea we can just pluck them in the middle to late rounds isn't working. This is why I'd like to draft one in the 1st round to anchor us into the future.

Side note: Thomas Howard was actually good for a while here until he got hurt. Rivers broke his jaw and was never the same.

Very true, and as HH said Odell was good before he got kicked out of the league.

Just sucks we need a good Center so bad that i am not completely comfortable with taking a guy like Rashaan "Blade" Evans at 21.

A start of Blade and Price or Ragnow would make my year.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 09:59 AM)Au165 Wrote: His rookie year started off promising, but we will never know because he only made it 7 games in.

Rivers was garbage ever since his rookie year.  terrible n overrated coming out. he ran 4.5 on pro day n Bengals got excited.    first game of year Flacco does a bootleg n out runs Rivers on sideline.  right then n there I knew he was toast.  terrible tackler n instincts
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 03:54 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: first game of year Flacco does a bootleg n out runs Rivers on sideline.  right then n there I knew he was toast.  terrible tackler n instincts

You should be an NFL scout if you figured all that out from one play. 
Reply/Quote
Simple answer--Marvin still sees himself as the LB Whisperer who thinks he can take any low round guy and coach him up, despite all the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not sure where you heard that. 

Burfict said it many times.... he prefers WILL
Reply/Quote
Loved Kevin Hardy. One of the nicest Bengals to me. Him and Brian Simmons. Both talked to me like we were long lost friends. Miss those guys.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 09:36 AM)Au165 Wrote: I mean when you look at the list, look at the actual draft capitol spent on them. That pretty much tells you why we haven't found success, the idea we can just pluck them in the middle to late rounds isn't working. This is why I'd like to draft one in the 1st round to anchor us into the future.

Side note: Thomas Howard was actually good for a while here until he got hurt. Rivers broke his jaw and was never the same.
Fear not. Marvin has the reputation of being a linebacker savant. At least that's what we were led to believe when he first became HC in Cincinnati a long time ago. Whatever  So far I haven't seen anything close.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 04:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: You should be an NFL scout if you figured all that out from one play. 

if I didn't have a good gig in law enforcement I give it s shot.  Rivers couldn't read a block to save his life.  he's the definition of straightline speed only.  
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 07:38 PM)Derrick Wrote: Fear not. Marvin has the reputation of being a linebacker savant. At least that's what we were led to believe when he first became HC in Cincinnati a long time ago. Whatever  So far I haven't seen anything close.

it's amazing what a once in lifetime player like Ray Lewis can make every d coordinater he had head coach.  kinda like Tom Brady n his offensive coordinaters.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 06:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Burfict said it many times.... he prefers WILL

Haven’t seen where he is actually quoted saying that however I posted where he said he enjoyed Mike and it’s his natural spot.
Reply/Quote
James Harrison, Ahmad Brooks, AJ Hawk, Anthony Schlegel, etc
Reply/Quote
Im still not over Paul Dawson. Absolutely loved the guy coming out. Was elated we got him in the 3rd. And we got jack shit out of him.

Apparently finding a guy who is smart yet plays with wreckless abandon and absolute disregard for their health while making millions of dollars is a difficult task.

If only we could have gotten Vrey on some roids. He would have have been great. Because he has the brains and plays like his ass is on fire. His physical limitations just hold him back
Reply/Quote
Remember this name:

Oren Burks ILB Vanderbilt
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Takeo Spikes....
Overrated.......great LB name though.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 10:14 AM)John Shaft Wrote: Overrated.......great LB name though.

Over the 5 years Spikes played for the Bengals he led the league in fumbles recovered and was 6th in solo tackles.  

One of only two players with 400 solo tackles, 14 sacks, and 5 ints.

Hard to call that "overrated" considered he never even made a Pro Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the 5 years Spikes played for the Bengals he led the league in fumbles recovered and was 6th in solo tackles.  

... in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the 5 years Spikes played for the Bengals he led the league in fumbles recovered and was 6th in solo tackles.  

He and Dansby are the only two?

You sure?

EDIT:* My apologies, you're DEFINITELY talking about in a 5 year span. My mistake.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 04:33 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Remember this name:

Oren Burks ILB Vanderbilt

I read that as Oreo...and then remembered how much I missed oreos...damn you. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote