Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why was Eifert blocking Dumervil?
Glad that we won after giving up the lead, but is anyone else wondering why Eifert was blocking Dumervil on the scoop and score play? While he may have improved his blocking (I don't know if this is true or not), why was he blocking one of the better DEs in the league on 3rd and long? This terrible decision almost cost the Bengals the game. Hope this kind of coaching decision-making gets fixed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Because sometimes you need your tight end to block players that are blitzing. Tight ends are supposed to be able to block as well.

They had 7 blockers on that play.

Eifert didn't block well at all and is just as responsible for that defensive touchdown.
Reply/Quote
Well, sometimes you have to put your big boy pants and do the damn job.
It isn't a favorable match up, but Doom is 5-11 and 255, Tyler is 6-6 250...not like it should have been abusive
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:05 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Because sometimes you need your tight end to block players that are blitzing. Tight ends are supposed to be able to block as well.

They had 7 blockers on that play.

Eifert didn't block well at all and is just as responsible for that defensive touchdown.

Except Dumvervil was lined up as end and wasn't blitzing. It looked like a straight up rush. It was third and long, not the right down and distance for Eifert to be blocking Dumervil.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:05 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Well, sometimes you have to put your big boy pants and do the damn job.
It isn't a favorable match up, but Doom is 5-11 and 255, Tyler is 6-6 250...not like it should have been abusive

The idea with the post isn't about Dumervil's size. The man gives NFL linemen who have about 80 pounds on him, fits. Eifert is not known for his blocking and I think it was a terrible idea to put him on Dumervil on a third and long, but hopefully they've learned from this.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:17 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Except Dumvervil was lined up as end and wasn't blitzing.  It looked like a straight up rush.  It was third and long, not the right down and distance for Eifert to be blocking Dumervil.

I said other players were blitzing. That's why they had 7 players blocking.

Plus, who else would you have block Dumervil? Kroft?

Eifert is a big guy. He didn't hold his own. Tight ends are supposed to be able to block. Bad play by him.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:20 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I said other players were blitzing. That's why they had 7 players blocking.

Plus, who else would you have block Dumervil? Kroft?

Eifert is a big guy. He didn't hold his own. Tight ends are supposed to be able to block. Bad play by him.

I know what you said, but my point is Dumervil was lined up and rushing on Eifert, not blitzing himself. I guess if they really had 7 players blocking, chalk it up to a horrible play by Eifert. Thought maybe it was wrong alignment, but if not, I guess I withdraw my point.

Anyways, with how bad he played on that play, they may have to bring in an extra lineman in these situations.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:19 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: The idea with the post isn't about Dumervil's size.  The man gives NFL linemen who have about 80 pounds on him, fits.  Eifert is not known for his blocking and I think it was a terrible idea to put him on Dumervil on a third and long, but hopefully they've learned from this.

Eifert is a better blocker than you give him credit for. 
He is probably as good as Gresh ever was. 
He gives 100% every block.

Eifert should have been able to at least slow Doom down more. But he failed in just about every way. It was a terrible attempt. Bad form. Bad feet. Bad hands. 
If he at least did a few things right, he'd slow Doom down. 

Doom gives guys 80lbs heavier fits because he is so much faster and more athletic. He isn't more athletic than Eifert. He isn't THAT much stronger. 
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:02 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Glad that we won after giving up the lead, but is anyone else wondering why Eifert was blocking Dumervil on the scoop and score play?  While he may have improved his blocking (I don't know if this is true or not), why was he blocking one of the better DEs in the league on 3rd and long?  This terrible decision almost cost the Bengals the game.  Hope this kind of coaching decision-making gets fixed.

I don't think you can really say he was blocking Dumervil.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
They used to do that shit with Gresham and everyone would flip their lids when he had to hold to stop Palmer/Dalton from getting killed.

I don't know whose supposed to spot that and adjust the protection, but there is zero reason a tight end is one on one versus a pass rusher like Dumervil.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 09:17 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: They used to do that shit with Gresham and everyone would flip their lids when he had to hold to stop Palmer/Dalton from getting killed.

I don't know whose supposed to spot that and adjust the protection, but there is zero reason a tight end is one on one versus a pass rusher like Dumervil.

But at times it is a neccessity.  That was why Reggie Kelly was such an integral part of the team.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:02 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Glad that we won after giving up the lead, but is anyone else wondering why Eifert was blocking Dumervil on the scoop and score play?  While he may have improved his blocking (I don't know if this is true or not), why was he blocking one of the better DEs in the league on 3rd and long?  This terrible decision almost cost the Bengals the game.  Hope this kind of coaching decision-making gets fixed.

Few, if any, TEs in the league can block Dumervil one on one. It's one of those plays where the ball needed to be thrown quickly to a receiver or thrown away. If 7 are rushing, there's only 4 in coverage so someone should be getting open. Receivers have to see this and adjust their routes accordingly.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 08:28 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Eifert is a better blocker than you give him credit for. 
He is probably as good as Gresh ever was. 
He gives 100% every block.

Eifert should have been able to at least slow Doom down more. But he failed in just about every way. It was a terrible attempt. Bad form. Bad feet. Bad hands. 
If he at least did a few things right, he'd slow Doom down. 

Doom gives guys 80lbs heavier fits because he is so much faster and more athletic. He isn't more athletic than Eifert. He isn't THAT much stronger. 

I know why Dumervil gives linemen fits, but I was responding to your size comparisons.  Most TEs in the league don't do well against guys like Dumervil.  And I don't believe Eifert's athleticism matches that of Dumervil when asked to block.  His athleticism shows up when he is allowed to run a few yards and make a catch over someone.  Not when he has to block a guy built low to the ground and gets even lower around the corner, where he's reacting to someone else's athleticism.    I'm not trying to get into a back and forth here, I will just say the way Dumervil was able to run almost untouched speaks for Eifert's pass blocking ability.
Reply/Quote
At least he got his hands on him, unlike Detroit's TE who let Ware go right by him to kill Stafford.
Reply/Quote
Eifert pushed Dumervil deep giving Dalton plenty of time to make a play, secure the ball or throw it away. That's on Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 09:55 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: At least he got his hands on him, unlike Detroit's TE who let Ware go right by him to kill Stafford.

Well Jesus you can't block everyone. Big Grin
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
No need to make excuses for Eifert, he simply blew it, didn't even slow Dumervil down. That was piss poor effort. He was a liability in the game, dropping wide open pass, fumble at the goal line, whiffing on the block that led to the fumble and touchdown, and couldn't get open when covered at the l.o.s. The lynch mob would crucify Gresh for the same.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 10:03 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: Eifert pushed Dumervil deep giving Dalton plenty of time to make a play, secure the ball or throw it away. That's on Dalton.

^ THIS
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 10:03 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: Eifert pushed Dumervil deep giving Dalton plenty of time to make a play, secure the ball or throw it away. That's on Dalton.

Plenty of time to throw It away I agree. He should have tucked it but a blind side hit is usually successful in disrupting the passer one way or another. But Eifert didn't do a good enough blocking job. Same thing with Gio on the same play. As much as the fumble is on Dalton, the piss poor blocking for that play was on Eifert & Gio
Reply/Quote
No cliche about doing your job can justify leaving Eifert 1vs1 againsta 17 sack guy and one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. If you're going to run a play with a mismatch like that you at least need to get rid of the ball quickly. Especially when the Ravens only rushed 5.
Reply/Quote