Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why was Eifert blocking Dumervil?
(09-27-2015, 07:02 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Glad that we won after giving up the lead, but is anyone else wondering why Eifert was blocking Dumervil on the scoop and score play?  While he may have improved his blocking (I don't know if this is true or not), why was he blocking one of the better DEs in the league on 3rd and long?  This terrible decision almost cost the Bengals the game.  Hope this kind of coaching decision-making gets fixed.

Because Tyler was lined up on that side... It has nothing to do with assignments, its about winning that battle. That's why they practice. It would be the same for Gio... You have to engage the defender and at least slow him down giving Andy time to throw. If anything that ball should have been out of Andy's hand by the time Elvis got there.
Reply/Quote
Not sure. I have the same question but regarding why Dunlap was covering TEs occasionally?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What makes a Tight End different from a WR? Tight ends are supposed to be good blockers as well, Eifert pushed Elvis out deep, and Dalton needed to make a quick throw or hold on to that ball. Stop deflecting Daltons mistakes on others man, he played great but he did have two mess ups.
Reply/Quote
To me, that's a scheme issue on that play. Does that mean that we are going to have a TE blocking Justin Houston this week? or Tamba Hali? Makes no sense to me to have one of your best receiving threats blocking the other teams best pass rushers.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 12:20 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: To me, that's a scheme issue on that play.  Does that mean that we are going to have a TE blocking Justin Houston this week? or Tamba Hali?  Makes no sense to me to have one of your best receiving threats blocking the other teams best pass rushers.

This was the point of my post. There is a scheme issue when you have a TE blocking a very good DE on a 3rd and long pass play. I'm not talking about a running play going to the other side or a 3rd and short pass that the QB gets rid of quickly by design. I'm talking about taking one of your better receivers (a TE in this case) out of the route and instead asking him to do something that is not one of his strengths. 

(09-28-2015, 09:59 AM)Element Wrote: What makes a Tight End different from a WR? Tight ends are supposed to be good blockers as well, Eifert pushed Elvis out deep, and Dalton needed to make a quick throw or hold on to that ball. Stop deflecting Daltons mistakes on others man, he played great but he did have two mess ups.

This has nothing to do with absolving Dalton. The design of the play requires Dalton to wait for longer routes to develop. Regardless of whether Dalton should have pulled the ball down quicker to prevent the fumble or not, the play design is asking for a TE to block a rushing DE (and not pick up a blitzing player) in one of his weak areas. This design may likely lead to a failed play anyway since even if Dalton held on to the ball, we're looking at a sack at a very crucial time of the game.  The way Eifert played here, Dumervil ran right around him with almost no stop of his momentum.  If instead Eifert slowed him down and Dumervil spun and got to Dalton or something similar, I wouldn't have asked the question.  It's possible Eifert just had one horrible play or maybe he was temporarily hurt or gassed, but I posted this up as a food for thought because I like discussing things about play designs and other intricate aspects of football. I try not to get into blaming players too much and I don't claim to have all the knowledge about coaching or play design. The post was an honest question about how the team can cut out bad low probability play designs. I appreciate the discussion here.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:17 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Except Dumvervil was lined up as end and wasn't blitzing. It looked like a straight up rush. It was third and long, not the right down and distance for Eifert to be blocking Dumervil.

Its dictacted by how they line up and what the offensive play call is... Players have their assignments. hes expected to do his job..

We often had Gresham blocking DEs
Reply/Quote
We drafted Eifert knowing his blocking was a little lacking.... Remember?
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 01:45 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: We drafted Eifert knowing his blocking was a little lacking.... Remember?

Good thing players don't practice to get better at things. 
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 08:28 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Eifert is a better blocker than you give him credit for. 
He is probably as good as Gresh ever was. 
He gives 100% every block.

Eifert should have been able to at least slow Doom down more. But he failed in just about every way. It was a terrible attempt. Bad form. Bad feet. Bad hands. 
If he at least did a few things right, he'd slow Doom down. 

Doom gives guys 80lbs heavier fits because he is so much faster and more athletic. He isn't more athletic than Eifert. He isn't THAT much stronger. 

Eifert is nowhere near as good a blocker at Gresham, and now you see where we are missing him.
Reply/Quote
Gio blocked Dumervil and the 80 yards Green TD.
Reply/Quote