Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why won't Zac run on 3rd down!
(10-18-2022, 10:35 PM)Emeritus Wrote: I watched it but that was last season.

Well this offensive line hasn't been much better.

In weeks 1 through 4, our running backs were averaging 2.95 yards per carry on traditional run plays (plays not involving Ja'Marr Chase or Joe Burrow). Mixon was 82 carries for 224 yards and 2.73 yards per carry.

There's no way I try running on anything shorter than a 3rd and inches with a record like that.

I do like the direction we're going with abandoning the wide zone and going to a full shotgun offense though, including runs out of the shotgun. In the two games since transitioning away from the wide zone offense (I.E. the most predictable offense in the world. under center = run, shotgun = pass), we've averaged 5.37 yards per carry (27 carries, 145 yards). If we keep that trend up, maybe we will run more on 3rd down going forward.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 10:35 AM)Synric Wrote: They have run a bit more RPO the last couple weeks which has taken away from the rush attempts expect that to change a little when teams get that on tape and start to see pass in those situations.

Tiger

I agree with this but at some point I'd like to see more power mixed with wide zone in the running game. Currently this offense allows Burrow to facilitate at the line of scrimmage so I'm all for that. We actually went to this last season but I can't remember at which point.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 02:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So on to the next question.

Why did you create a whole new "Hog Maulin" thread when what you said could just as easily been in this thread?

Not as though that's something previously banned trolls do, along with things like putting emojis in the body of all their posts and creating multiple threads in the wrong forums, even after it's been pointed out several times. 

Not saying you're a previously banned troll. Just sayin. 

Tiger
https://youtu.be/3Hj3U18FHgQ
Reply/Quote
I am pretty sure zac has run the ball 4 times on 4th down this year - and all 4 have gone for turnover on downs.

This team blows at running.

They have a much higher rate of success throwing. This is true across all of the NFL, maybe less the Falcons, Jets and Saints, ironically.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 02:41 PM)Emeritus Wrote: I agree with this but at some point I'd like to see more power mixed with wide zone in the running game. Currently this offense allows Burrow to facilitate at the line of scrimmage so I'm all for that. We actually went to this last season but I can't remember at which point.

They went heavy gap 2 games ago, leading to a much better YPC. They've run less, but more effective. 

Expect to see that continue. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 02:32 PM)Emeritus Wrote: I've never played fantasy football a day in my life.
All I'm saying is that moving forward Joe Mixon should see 20+ carries if this organization/ coaching staff has any intentions on the playoffs and advancing. That is all. 

Jonathan Taylor led the league in carries last year and even he didn't average 20 carries/game.  Mixon is no Jonathan Taylor/King Henry, either.  I'm not sure where you're coming up with this idea from.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 12:20 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

That may be very true sir but the one thing that I know.
You'd better have a running game when it gets cold. I'm talking playoff and SB months. I'll tell you one thing close to the vest and I absolutely hate saying it with a passion. I love the way the Cleveland Browns play and how he calls a game! I know people may laugh now but he has the cheat code. 

How's the weather up there on the lake?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 05:54 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: How's the weather up there on the lake?

I'm just wondering how the Bengals got through all those freezing cold games in the playoffs last year. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 05:54 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: How's the weather up there on the lake?

75 & Sunny game time Sunday on the banks of the Ohio River. I'm a die hard Reds fan also and have been calling for a Votto trade for the last five years. Sir
I sold my tickets this week because I couldn't be in town but I'll certainly be there 12/4
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 11:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It could be a number of things. Maybe its the defensive alignment, Burrow changing the play because he doesn't like the look. We were 60% last Sunday, 6-10 on 3rd down. Not too bad. We are running the ball better.

What Wedge said. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 02:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Well this offensive line hasn't been much better.

In weeks 1 through 4, our running backs were averaging 2.95 yards per carry on traditional run plays (plays not involving Ja'Marr Chase or Joe Burrow). Mixon was 82 carries for 224 yards and 2.73 yards per carry.

There's no way I try running on anything shorter than a 3rd and inches with a record like that.

I do like the direction we're going with abandoning the wide zone and going to a full shotgun offense though, including runs out of the shotgun. In the two games since transitioning away from the wide zone offense (I.E. the most predictable offense in the world. under center = run, shotgun = pass), we've averaged 5.37 yards per carry (27 carries, 145 yards). If we keep that trend up, maybe we will run more on 3rd down going forward.

We'll get a good measuring stick of running the football soon. I'd just like to see 20+ carries for Joe Mixon now that the offensive line is playing better. Hopefully that begins against the Falcons.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 06:52 PM)Emeritus Wrote: We'll get a good measuring stick of running the football soon. I'd just like to see 20+ carries for Joe Mixon now that the offensive line is playing better. Hopefully that begins against the Falcons.

Personally, I would like to see more of Evans in particular. I think it is pretty sad he doesn't get any snaps at RB even though 
he is by FAR the most explosive and can break away for big gains unlike the other backs.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 04:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They went heavy gap 2 games ago, leading to a much better YPC. They've run less, but more effective. 

Expect to see that continue. 

Tiger

This could be a scary offense once they learn how to run the football effectively. No DC is stacking us in the running game anymore because they don't fear it. They'll come out of the shell when we run the football and we can't slant route our way out of it. 20+ for Joe Mixon the rest of the way and you'll see a difference in explosive plays.
Mark it down!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 07:08 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

This could be a scary offense once they learn how to run the football effectively. No DC is stacking us in the running game anymore because they don't fear it. They'll come out of the shell when we run the football and we can't slant route our way out of it. 20+ for Joe Mixon the rest of the way and you'll see a difference in explosive plays.
Mark it down!

Sure wish Mixon could pick up the blitz, that is my problem with the guy right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 07:08 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Mark it down!

Getting behind the Ravens and then the lack of drives against the Saints, i think, kept Mixon's carries down. When they get back to 12-15 drives a game, Mixon's atts should go up.

Reply/Quote

Tiger

Its miserable because I can't get LaRosas, Izzy, Gordos,
Italienete Pizza,  UDF cookies & cream, BlueAsh Chili Double Deckers, Double Cheeseburger Saturdays at Gaslight Cafe , Chicago Pizza in Clifton , Adrioticos Pizza, Alabama fish, Findlay Market on Saturdays. Grippos Chips, Firehouse Pizza in Walnut Hills( Best Pizza)The Eagle,OTR

I just miss home because we don't have those things here in the south. Cincy will always be my home and I
have season tickets there. 
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 07:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Getting behind the Ravens and then the lack of drives against the Saints, i think, kept Mixon's carries down. When they get back to 12-15 drives a game, Mixon's atts should go up.

Tiger

Your not going to have this excuse once the calendar changes to tomorrow on.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 07:48 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Your not going to have this excuse once the calendar changes to tomorrow on.

Well, if we're being honest, you're not gonna see Mixon's carries go up unless he's running into a brick wall again. Then you will see Zac run him 25+ times. 

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 10:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Well, if we're being honest, you're not gonna see Mixon's carries go up unless he's running into a brick wall again. Then you will see Zac run him 25+ times. 

I hate that this statement is 100% accurate.
Reply/Quote