Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilcox not tendered
They're moving Drue Crisman to TE!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 03:09 PM)BengalBob Wrote: 1. They resign Hurst only at their price.
2. If they can't resign Hurst, they'll pick up a veteran for depth at THEIR price.
3. Sample stays on the cheap.
4. Draft a TE in the 2nd round or lower.(Laporta in 2nd or Schoonmaker in 4th or 5th.

So Hurst, Geseicki and a Draft pick like LaPorta, Kraft, Strange, Schoonmaker, Whyle or Durham...
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 03:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Interesting, looks like we are going to add at least 1 TE in the Draft the way everything is going. Giving Wilcox a shot somewhere 
else could be a classy move and makes room. Would of rather kept Wilcox over Sample but hey, need to make room anyways.

Wouldn't throw out us double dipping now. I want a RT like Darnell Wright, Anton Harrison, DaWand Jones or Matthew Bergeron
with our first pick though.

I think it all about being respectful to him. They obviously know their direction. And… that’s a good thing.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 02:49 PM)Go Cards Wrote:  I know we differ on this opinion and you've guaranteed many times it won't happen. Yet still suspect Mixon and Bates will supply the cap space which is logical imo. Even without factoring in the ongoing incident at Mixon's house. 

But am more than fine with drafting a TE in this draft. 

In fact I want the Georgia kid, but prefer it to be him and Hurst and Sample be the third wheel. Yet get that another team may ante up big for Hurst and that may not happen. 

Bates savings partially will go to Bell. I like the Georgia kid Washington as well. I just think Sample is protection in case we don’t work out a deal with Hurst or having experience in case we go TE in the first. I think Sample is going to be on the roster. I think Mixon and Perine will be as well.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Just because he wasn't tendered (which there's no way they were gonna do at 2.6m) doesn't mean he won't be back. They can re-sign him at a much cheaper price now, if they want to.
Reply/Quote
So resigning Sample for sure, maybe Hurst or another, then drafting at least one early. I bet dollars to donuts, there’s a corner, OT and possibly RB on their big board as well as like 2 TEs to pick from. Corner is scary deep this year.
Reply/Quote
They are going to re-sign Hurst to catch, Sample to block, and that leaves it open to either draft someone or re-sign Wilcox a little cheaper.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 03:31 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think it all about being respectful to him. They obviously know their direction. And… that’s a good thing.

True, I loved how Mitchell Wilcox blocked at times last season, he would go in against big DT's and really scrap.

I like the guy. But man, this Draft class is loaded with good TE's that all do something a little different. Have to keep our options open 
while being respectful to those that have to leave to make room for more talent.

(03-10-2023, 03:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Just because he wasn't tendered (which there's no way they were gonna do at 2.6m) doesn't mean he won't be back. They can re-sign him at a much cheaper price now, if they want to.

Good point. Maybe nothing to this, Wilcox probably will be back at the very least on the PS.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 01:58 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’m at the end of my tether. This cannot happen.

something suspicious

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 03:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They are going to re-sign Hurst to catch, Sample to block, and that leaves it open to either draft someone or re-sign Wilcox a little cheaper.

Yep

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 03:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They are going to re-sign Hurst to catch, Sample to block, and that leaves it open to either draft someone or re-sign Wilcox a little cheaper.

Yep

Reply/Quote
Kind of surprising to me. He played ahead of Asiasi all year.

One thing I would lean into is that I bet we want at least 2 TEs who are genuine receiving threats. Asiasi, Sample, and Wilcox are all block-first guys, and so is the kid from Georgia. If we keep 4, that means we only keep 2 block first guys.

Wilcox was not a very good reserve long snapper, I can testify to that. Thiught Sample blocking the wrong guy on the PAT was just as egregious. Take the inside guy, FFS.

Maybe we feel like with a deep TE class, the FA TE market will be depressed and there will be upgrades available.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 03:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Just because he wasn't tendered (which there's no way they were gonna do at 2.6m) doesn't mean he won't be back. They can re-sign him at a much cheaper price now, if they want to.

Good post. No way we pay Wilcox $2.6 mil. Carman & Dax Hill & Scharping were the only reasrves over $2 mil last year. 
Reply/Quote
I like Josh Oliver as a good depth add.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 02:29 PM)Synric Wrote: If the Bengals draft a 12 personnel blocking TE at #28 I expect to see them go back to the wide zone run offense for a 5th year in a row.

If they're wanting to go wide zone, then it only makes sense that they should take a run at Kaleb McGary. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 05:55 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Kind of surprising to me. He played ahead of Asiasi all year.

One thing I would lean into is that I bet we want at least 2 TEs who are genuine receiving threats. Asiasi, Sample, and Wilcox are all block-first guys, and so is the kid from Georgia. If we keep 4, that means we only keep 2 block first guys.

Wilcox was not a very good reserve long snapper, I can testify to that. Thiught Sample blocking the wrong guy on the PAT was just as egregious. Take the inside guy, FFS.

Maybe we feel like with a deep TE class, the FA TE market will be depressed and there will be upgrades available.

I’d be surprised if Asiasi, Sample, and Wilcox aren’t at camp. We played Asiasi so many snaps last year makes no sense that we wouldn’t want him.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 06:39 PM)Housh Wrote: I’d be surprised if Asiasi, Sample, and Wilcox aren’t at camp. We played Asiasi so many snaps last year makes no sense that we wouldn’t want him.

I did not realize the number on Wilcox was $2.6 mil. It does not surprise me we did not tender him at that amount, at all. 

Agree that we could see all of Asiasi, Wilcox, & Sample at camp. They are competing for two spots, max. Hopefully one (Hurst + pick + FA or another pick). 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 03:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Bates savings partially will go to Bell. I like the Georgia kid Washington as well. I just think Sample is protection in case we don’t work out a deal with Hurst or having experience in case we go TE in the first. I think Sample is going to be on the roster. I think Mixon and Perine will be as well.

Agree with all except Mixon and it has nothing to do with his talent or anything else. Just think it is unwise to invest big $'s in RB's in the new NFL where you must win with vets and solid players on rookie deals to stay under the cap. . 

But agree 100% that you could be right about him staying, just hoping not because his money could bring in a nice piece for OL. You are correct as well that some of those savings will be to sign our own. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 03:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point. Maybe nothing to this, Wilcox probably will be back at the very least on the PS.

The Bengals probably wanted to sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal that's cheaper than the tender. Wilcox will see what's on the market before deciding to come back to Cincy.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 02:01 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The Bengals probably wanted to sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal that's cheaper than the tender. Wilcox will see what's on the market before deciding to come back to Cincy.

The Bengals FO does a fantastic job of making these negotiations go smooth. That’s not easy. Even Bates will end on a decent note. Of course it’s impossible with some of these agents for all of them to go well. But I suspect you are right that they’ve told Wilcox this is what we can spend and we hope you get a great contract for you and your family. If you don’t and we still have room we’d like to have you back.

Reply/Quote