Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiliam Jackson III Looking Good in Camp & Eager to Impress
(06-03-2016, 10:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My boy Radio is going to ball out and very soon.

As to Marvin: I've never noticed this trend of him blowing smoke about rookies. I've always found him to be quite reserved in his praise compartively.

(06-03-2016, 06:56 PM)3wt Wrote: Agree with you.  I can't remember him talking rookies up as much as he has this group.  He even threw Billings a bone, calling him a brick wall.  And he's flat out gushed about Vigil.   Hope he's accurate about these guys.

I think it's Marvin just realizing that we need to quit building for the future and win NOW, or maybe we've just run out of things to build and it's time to win NOW.

Maybe he sees how close we were last year and realizes that it's time to go all-in.

In any case, it looks like we'll put the best players on the field and do what it takes to win, so I'm pumped  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 07:02 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think it's Marvin just realizing that we need to quit building for the future and win NOW, or maybe we've just run out of things to build and it's time to win NOW.

Maybe he sees how close we were last year and realizes that it's time to go all-in.

In any case, it looks like we'll put the best players on the field and do what it takes to win, so I'm pumped  ThumbsUp

I really hope you are right, Brad.  I think an infusion of youth will give energy and it seems like it is coming in the best possible areas:  

Peko needs spelled to be more effective and we get a better pass rusher on 3rd and long.  

We needed depth at LB that can play every position with some speed.

We needed another CB and, hopefully, one that can make some big plays (23  PBUs and 5 INTs in one season is insane)

We needed a replacement for MLJ and Sanu, and although it is VERY early, I like what I see in terms of their tape in college and their size, strength, etc.  in Boyd and Core.  

That is a big number of rookies that could potentially make an impact their rookie season.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2016, 06:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really hope you are right, Brad.  I think an infusion of youth will give energy and it seems like it is coming in the best possible areas:  

Peko needs spelled to be more effective and we get a better pass rusher on 3rd and long.  

We needed depth at LB that can play every position with some speed.

We needed another CB and, hopefully, one that can make some big plays (23  PBUs and 5 INTs in one season is insane)

We needed a replacement for MLJ and Sanu, and although it is VERY early, I like what I see in terms of their tape in college and their size, strength, etc.  in Boyd and Core.  

That is a big number of rookies that could potentially make an impact their rookie season.  
We need to get off to another good start, and obviously that will be more difficult without Burfict.  

It'd be crazy to think we could get out of the gate as good as last year but I'd take 6-2 in the first half.  That would set us up to attack a strong finish with some of the rooks getting in the groove.
Reply/Quote
Words in June mean **** all in September.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2016, 09:50 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: We need to get off to another good start, and obviously that will be more difficult without Burfict.  

It'd be crazy to think we could get out of the gate as good as last year but I'd take 6-2 in the first half.  That would set us up to attack a strong finish with some of the rooks getting in the groove.

I almost think that I would rather enter the playoffs at a 10-6, or 9-7 record, then get on a hot string and pull it all together at the end.
I really enjoyed the great start we had last year, but maybe losing towards the end of the season could kick the team into a different gear.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2016, 06:57 PM)Harmening Wrote: I almost think that I would rather enter the playoffs at a 10-6, or 9-7 record, then get on a hot string and pull it all together at the end.
I really enjoyed the great start we had last year, but maybe losing towards the end of the season could kick the team into a different gear.

Eh, 19-0 sounds better to me.
Reply/Quote
During Dennard's rookie year, one of the off season articles had Lewis being quoted saying Dennard was the best rookie CB he'd ever seen.

And he still isn't starting and has barely played.

I hate off season articles about "how amazing" the rookies look in camp.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 08:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: During Dennard's rookie year, one of the off season articles had Lewis being quoted saying Dennard was the best rookie CB he'd ever seen.

Remember when John Thornton had to tell Marvin to starts Sims (I think it was Sims?) over him?  It's like Marvin is scared of veterans or scared to start rookies or even young players over them.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 09:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Remember when John Thornton had to tell Marvin to starts Sims (I think it was Sims?) over him?  It's like Marvin is scared of veterans or scared to start rookies or even young players over them.

Remember when Marvin went to the playoffs starting a rookie WR and rookie QB? Remember when Gio had a lot of playing time and over 1,000 yards from scrimmage as a rookie? Remember when your crush Jeremy Hill had over 1,000 yards as a rookie? Remember when Carlos Dunlap almost had 10 sacks as a rookie? Remember when both Leon Hall and Jonathan Joseph played significant snaps as rookies? How about when Gresham started 10 games and had a decent year for a rookie TE? Tyler Eifert started 15 games as a rookie! Remember when we started a 4th round rookie center named Russel Bodine? How about when Kevin Zietler started all 16 games as a rookie? Did you know Vontaze Burfict started 14 games and played in all 16 getting 75 tackles his rookie year? Remember when Jordan Shipley had 600 yards and 50+ catches as a third round rookie? How about when Rey Maulaluga started 15 games as a rookie, and Kevin Huber was our punter the same year? Keith Rivers started every game his rookie year until he was injured. 

Or did we forget all of this because of one story you're not even sure of to push this narrative that Marvin is afraid to start rookies? Maybe Marvin play players who are ready to contribute and plays the people who give us the best chance to win. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 09:35 PM)MrRager Wrote: Remember when Marvin went to the playoffs starting a rookie WR and rookie QB? Remember when Gio had a lot of playing time and over 1,000 yards from scrimmage as a rookie? Remember when your crush Jeremy Hill had over 1,000 yards as a rookie? Remember when Carlos Dunlap almost had 10 sacks as a rookie? Remember when both Leon Hall and Jonathan Joseph played significant snaps as rookies? How about when Gresham started 10 games and had a decent year for a rookie TE? Tyler Eifert started 15 games as a rookie! Remember when we started a 4th round rookie center named Russel Bodine? How about when Kevin Zietler started all 16 games as a rookie? Did you know Vontaze Burfict started 14 games and played in all 16 getting 75 tackles his rookie year? Remember when Jordan Shipley had 600 yards and 50+ catches as a third round rookie? How about when Rey Maulaluga started 15 games as a rookie, and Kevin Huber was our punter the same year? Keith Rivers started every game his rookie year until he was injured. 

Or did we forget all of this because of one story you're not even sure of to push this narrative that Marvin is afraid to start rookies? Maybe Marvin play players who are ready to contribute and plays the people who give us the best chance to win. 
What's your point?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 09:45 PM)tlotharw Wrote: What's your point?

People always talk about how afraid Marvin is to play rookies. This isn't true at all and Brad was starting it up again. The post I replied to said Marvin is scared to start rookies or even young players over veterans. I was pointing out by using examples of rookies who saw significant time. 
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 09:49 PM)MrRager Wrote: People always talk about how afraid Marvin is to play rookies. This isn't true at all and Brad was starting it up again. The post I replied to said Marvin is scared to start rookies or even young players over veterans. I was pointing out by using examples of rookies who saw significant time. 

And a lot of the examples you used were starting out of having no better options.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 10:10 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: And a lot of the examples you used were starting out of having no better options.

Which is fine. If there is a better option, then play that guy. Marvin seems like he wants to play whomever is the best that Sunday and sometimes it isn't a rookie. If it is a rookie, Marvin starts him, as shown by the numerous players I just mentioned. 

When that many rookies have started over the past 5 or so years people have no basis when saying Marvin is afraid to start rookies. 
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 10:16 PM)MrRager Wrote: Which is fine. If there is a better option, then play that guy. Marvin seems like he wants to play whomever is the best that Sunday and sometimes it isn't a rookie. If it is a rookie, Marvin starts him, as shown by the numerous players I just mentioned. 

When that many rookies have started over the past 5 or so years people have no basis when saying Marvin is afraid to start rookies. 

I was actually going to try and debate this, but outside of the guys starting out of necessity I can't think of a single rookie who would've been an immediate upgrade over the veterans.

Kirkpatrick played behind Hall, Newman, and Jones who were all playing like they were men half their age. Dennard had the same problem sort of - I always admired Kirkpatrick's hustle, but he also committed a load of penalties and it might not of hurt to have Dennard play over him. Bernard was behind BJGE who, while not a world beater, was more than serviceable. Ced and Jake were behind Whit and Smith.

Looking back the last corners who played as rookies were Hall and Joseph, and they were replacing Ratliff and O'Neal - a bum and a modern Methuselah.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 10:21 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I was actually going to try and debate this, but outside of the guys starting out of necessity I can't think of a single rookie who would've been an immediate upgrade over the veterans.

Kirkpatrick played behind Hall, Newman, and Jones who were all playing like they were men half their age. Dennard had the same problem sort of - I always admired Kirkpatrick's hustle, but he also committed a load of penalties and it might not of hurt to have Dennard play over him. Bernard was behind BJGE who, while not a world beater, was more than serviceable. Ced and Jake were behind Whit and Smith.

Looking back the last corners who played as rookies were Hall and Joseph, and they were replacing Ratliff and O'Neal - a bum and a modern Methuselah.

Yeah, I guess that is more of the point I was trying to make. It's not like we keep rookies on the bench who would have been clear upgrades. People make claims about the Bengals without looking at the NFL as a whole. Teams/coaches in general don't start rookies unless they absolutely need to or they are simply studs. The Bengals are no different in this regard. It's why I hate the, "Marvin is so afraid to start rookies!" narrative. He has played many rookies over the past few years, but because he didn't play that 6th round rookie you fell in love with doesn't mean he is allergic to rookies. He is fine with going into the draft with a hole and using a rookie to fill that hole. He did it with half of our current offense. Bodine, Zeitler, Dalton, Green, Gio, Hill, Eifert all saw significant playing time as rookies and it was the plan going into the draft all along. 

Off topic, but the same thing happens with people who hate on AJ Green. I agree he isn't the best receiver in the NFL, but he is elite and is around top 5. People will claim that he disappears sometimes and that makes him less elite, but, when you look at every other team in the NFL their number one will occasionally have a bad game as well. 
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 08:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: During Dennard's rookie year, one of the off season articles had Lewis being quoted saying Dennard was the best rookie CB he'd ever seen.

Maybe some of this is designed to warn some veterans?
Reply/Quote

Well, a few things happened:

1.  He's still a rookie.
2.  We had Hall, Jones, Dre ahead of him.
3.  He got injured 
Reply/Quote