Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Will Bell Give 100% On The Tag?
Steelers and Bell failed to reach a long-term deal, so he'll play out the season on the franchise tag.

Bell's agent says it's likely to be his last season with the Steelers and Bell says it will be his best season yet, but will he give 100% without a long-term deal? When will he show up to the team?

Will the Steelers just run him into the ground? Does he make it a full season?
Reply/Quote
He did last year. He's going to want a contract from someone, and dogging it won't get him there.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 05:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Steelers and Bell failed to reach a long-term deal, so he'll play out the season on the franchise tag.

Bell's agent says it's likely to be his last season with the Steelers and Bell says it will be his best season yet, but will he give 100% without a long-term deal?  When will he show up to the team?

Will the Steelers just run him into the ground?  Does he make it a full season?

I don't think you understand the concept of 'incentive'.  See michaelsean's post above for a primer.  

Given that he'll be trying to earn a contract from a new team, one could argue that Bell's quest to market himself would increase his effort.  The Steelers might be better off in 2018 with respect to him than they would have been had they settled on a long term contract.  People generally fight harder to get something than they do if they already have it.  Granted, it's only for one year, but it could be an awesome year. 
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 10:03 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I don't think you understand the concept of 'incentive'.  See michaelsean's post above for a primer.  

Given that he'll be trying to earn a contract from a new team, one could argue that Bell's quest to market himself would increase his effort.  The Steelers might be better off in 2018 with respect to him than they would have been had they settled on a long term contract.  People generally fight harder to get something than they do if they already have it.  Granted, it's only for one year, but it could be an awesome year. 

I mostly agree with you her. I guess the question I have is if in any given game he gets banged in the knee or sprains his ankle, is he going to push through and do everything he can to get back out there the next week? I’m not talking major injury, I’m talking nagging injuries. I could understand a reluctance to push oneself to play hurt in exchange to get to next offseason healthy.

It will be interesting to see if his gambling on himself will pay off because it could go sideways for him real quick.

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 05:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He did last year.  He's going to want a contract from someone, and dogging it won't get him there.

(07-19-2018, 10:03 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I don't think you understand the concept of 'incentive'.  See michaelsean's post above for a primer.  

You're both insane.

You don't think his on-field production has spoken for itself.

What incentive does he have?  Do you think if he says "I was scared of injury, so I didn't give 100%," teams are going to go running for the hills and avoid signing him?

He's one of the best backs of all-time, and every team knows that, or do you think they've all just ignored his play up until this season and will focus on his performance this year?

Bell holds the cards here.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 03:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You're both insane.

You don't think his on-field production has spoken for itself.

What incentive does he have?  Do you think if he says "I was scared of injury, so I didn't give 100%," teams are going to go running for the hills and avoid signing him?

He's one of the best backs of all-time, and every team knows that, or do you think they've all just ignored his play up until this season and will focus on his performance this year?

Bell holds the cards here.

Do you think a team is going to give $60 million to a guy who dogs it?  Every team is quite aware of Bell's behavior over the last couple years, and they are aware of his supporting cast.  Everyone is going to be wondering what he's like without AB, Ben, and that line. Being patient behind a lot of lines will result in IR.  If he lays an egg this year he isn't going to see anywhere near what he wants.  He needs to be the best.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 03:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Do you think a team is going to give $60 million to a guy who dogs it?  Every team is quite aware of Bell's behavior over the last couple years, and they are aware of his supporting cast.  Everyone is going to be wondering what he's like without AB, Ben, and that line.  Being patient behind a lot of lines will result in IR.  If he lays an egg this year he isn't going to see anywhere near what he wants.  He needs to be the best.

In 2015 (I think it was 2015?), Bell dominated games when Ben was either hurt or suspended for raping chicks (I forget which one, but maybe it was both?), and the Steelers line has only been average and only appear to be better because of Bell's patient running style and Ben's ability to escape the pass rush and extend plays.

Given all that and everything he has put on film over the past five seasons, I don't think any team will even think twice about giving him a big contract.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 04:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: In 2015 (I think it was 2015?), Bell dominated games when Ben was either hurt or suspended for raping chicks (I forget which one, but maybe it was both?), and the Steelers line has only been average and only appear to be better because of Bell's patient running style and Ben's ability to escape the pass rush and extend plays.

Given all that and everything he has put on film over the past five seasons, I don't think any team will even think twice about giving him a big contract.

You don’t know what you’re talking about (shocker). The line had to learn how to hold their blocks longer to adapt to Bells running style. They’re helping him more than he’s helping them.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2018, 11:19 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: You don’t know what you’re talking about (shocker). The line had to learn how to hold their blocks longer to adapt to Bells running style. They’re helping him more than he’s helping them.

The line had to learn? Are you seriously insinuating there may be an inkling of intelligence in Pittsburgh? I don’t buy it.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2018, 09:03 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: The line had to learn? Are you seriously insinuating there may be an inkling of intelligence in Pittsburgh? I don’t buy it.

You're suggesting a low level of intelligence on the team that is 14-3 against yours in the last several years.  You might want to consider how that reflects on your own squad.   
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2018, 11:19 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: You don’t know what you’re talking about (shocker). The line had to learn how to hold their blocks longer to adapt to Bells running style. They’re helping him more than he’s helping them.

Steelers fans aren't very bright, which we all knew, so let me explain why the zone blocking scheme is better for Bell and easier for the Steelers linemen:

In a zone blocking scheme, like the Steelers run, a linemen just has to put his body on a defender and let the defender pick a way to go, then he just lets the defender go that way and continues to push him in that direction, which is why Bell's cut-backs work so well.  Yes, they have to stay on them until Bell makes his cut, but it's not that hard for a 350 lb linemen to just make contact with the opponent and then use the opponent's momentum to take themselves out of the way.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2018, 09:48 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: You're suggesting a low level of intelligence on the team that is 14-3 against yours in the last several years.  You might want to consider how that reflects on your own squad.   

No!

Reply/Quote
How could anyone doubt that Bell isn't going to go out there, and give it his all? What's that they say in showbiz, when they send someone out there to give it all they've got, break a leg?? Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 03:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: What incentive does he have?

Yeah, this is a tough one.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2018, 09:48 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: You're suggesting a low level of intelligence on the team that is 14-3 against yours in the last several years.  You might want to consider how that reflects on your own squad.   

That record is a 1st round bye of a season. 
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's not his effort during the season that should be worrisome. It's his intent to skip training camp and the preseason. He's gonna be slow out of the gate and I imagine more prone to injury.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2018, 08:38 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: It's not his effort during the season that should be worrisome. It's his intent to skip training camp and the preseason. He's gonna be slow out of the gate and I imagine more prone to injury.

If memory serves he was off a little the first couple games, but it’s hard to definitely attribute it to anything. He will do fine, move on, and the Steelers will sign some homeless dude who will win the rushing title.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2018, 08:38 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: It's not his effort during the season that should be worrisome. It's his intent to skip training camp and the preseason. He's gonna be slow out of the gate and I imagine more prone to injury.

I said that, too, and it's not like he'll just be sitting around being a bum all offseason while he skips camp and whatever else, but there's a big difference between working out on your own and doing football drills with your team and going through things like team offense in the heat.

With the cut-down in contact allowed in practices, the lack of contact is less worrisome, but it's still just the overall football activities.
Reply/Quote
He will run hard this year trying to hit big payday and then dog it after he gets paid.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yet suspect Bell to slide awkwardly into 2nd base much like Tom Brady if Burfict even comes close to tackling him.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote