Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Will Bell Give 100% On The Tag?
(07-21-2018, 10:55 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Steelers fans aren't very bright, which we all knew, so let me explain why the zone blocking scheme is better for Bell and easier for the Steelers linemen:

In a zone blocking scheme, like the Steelers run, a linemen just has to put his body on a defender and let the defender pick a way to go, then he just lets the defender go that way and continues to push him in that direction, which is why Bell's cut-backs work so well.  Yes, they have to stay on them until Bell makes his cut, but it's not that hard for a 350 lb linemen to just make contact with the opponent and then use the opponent's momentum to take themselves out of the way.

You make it sound here like the linemen have an easy time of making Bell look good, but earlier you said it was the other way around. Which is it?
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2018, 10:51 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: You make it sound here like the linemen have an easy time of making Bell look good, but earlier you said it was the other way around.  Which is it?

Go back and reread my posts: the line doesn't have to do much and Bell makes cuts off of whatever they do, so it makes them look good.

Not sure when I said the line makes Bell look good, but feel free to fill me in.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2018, 11:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Go back and reread my posts: the line doesn't have to do much and Bell makes cuts off of whatever they do, so it makes them look good.

Not sure when I said the line makes Bell look good, but feel free to fill me in.

You bet.  Always willing to help catch you up.  You attributed Bell's cut backs to the work of the line.  See the bold below. 

(07-21-2018, 10:55 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: In a zone blocking scheme, like the Steelers run, a linemen just has to put his body on a defender and let the defender pick a way to go, then he just lets the defender go that way and continues to push him in that direction, which is why Bell's cut-backs work so well.  

Either the line has an easy time of it because Bell's running is great, or Bell's Running is effective because of the work of the line.  You've implied both.  Which is it? 
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 05:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Steelers and Bell failed to reach a long-term deal, so he'll play out the season on the franchise tag.

Bell's agent says it's likely to be his last season with the Steelers and Bell says it will be his best season yet, but will he give 100% without a long-term deal?  When will he show up to the team?

Will the Steelers just run him into the ground?  Does he make it a full season?

I don't think any RB is worth the kind of money he's demanding. He said he wants to retire a Steelers. His mouth says one thing, but his actions speak louder than words. He won't want to screw up because he wants that big pay day. He knows if he has another monster season, teams will have no choice but to overpay for his services. Once he gets that big lucrative contract he wants, he'll be more relaxed. So this year's Steelers team will benefit greatly from him trying to prove his worth. I hope the Steelers run him into the ground and let some other team over pay him next season.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 06:28 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: You bet.  Always willing to help catch you up.  You attributed Bell's cut backs to the work of the line.  See the bold below. 

Either the line has an easy time of it because Bell's running is great, or Bell's Running is effective because of the work of the line.  You've implied both.  Which is it? 

Incorrect.

I’ve said that Bell’s running style makes the line’s life easy because the zone scheme just means that they just have to get in a defensive linemen’s way or let their momentum take them out of the play and then Bell makes cuts based off of that because he’s so patient.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2018, 10:55 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Steelers fans aren't very bright, which we all knew, so let me explain why the zone blocking scheme is better for Bell and easier for the Steelers linemen:

In a zone blocking scheme, like the Steelers run, a linemen just has to put his body on a defender and let the defender pick a way to go, then he just lets the defender go that way and continues to push him in that direction, which is why Bell's cut-backs work so well.  Yes, they have to stay on them until Bell makes his cut, but it's not that hard for a 350 lb linemen to just make contact with the opponent and then use the opponent's momentum to take themselves out of the way.

A) Bell isn't a cutback runner, doofus.

B) Please just zip your pie hole.....

https://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/leveon-bells-style-forces-offensive-line-block-differently/
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 03:00 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: A) Bell isn't a cutback runner, doofus.
Actually, that's exactly what he is and that's why he's so successful: he waits patiently for the defenders to over-pursue and then cuts back and they all miss, or just cuts in the direction they were going.  Either way, it's the same principle because the linemen don't have to power block.

Not real surprised that Steelers fans don't know enough about football to know their own running back's running style, but watch these highlights and notice that he makes a majority of his yards off of cutbacks.  

(07-22-2018, 03:00 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: B) Please just zip your pie hole.....

https://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/leveon-bells-style-forces-offensive-line-block-differently/

That's just a coach trying to talk himself up and talk his linemen up.  Sure, they have to hold their blocks for an extra split-second, but Bell is so patient with such good vision and ability to make cuts that they really just have to stay in the defensive linemen's way and push them whichever way that they're momentum is taking them.

Take a class on football.
Reply/Quote
This seems like a no-win topic from the perspective of a Bengals fan. For years we've tried to paint Bell as a giant vajayjay who can't stay on the field and/or is too busy doing drugs to participate. Now we are trying to come up with reasons that the Steelers are going to be screwed without him.

Bell is a good RB and yet the Steelers don't drop off much without the guy. This is just a shite-sammich all around.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2018, 12:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This seems like a no-win topic from the perspective of a Bengals fan. For years we've tried to paint Bell as a giant vajayjay who can't stay on the field and/or is too busy doing drugs to participate. Now we are trying to come up with reasons that the Steelers are going to be screwed without him.

Bell is a good RB and yet the Steelers don't drop off much without the guy. This is just a shite-sammich all around.

Well you know what they say about opinions: they’re like bowels, everyone’s got them but some are just more irritable.

Or something like that...

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2018, 12:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This seems like a no-win topic from the perspective of a Bengals fan. For years we've tried to paint Bell as a giant vajayjay who can't stay on the field and/or is too busy doing drugs to participate. Now we are trying to come up with reasons that the Steelers are going to be screwed without him.

Agreed. But I guess some people (Brad) just have weird tastes in sandwiches.
Reply/Quote
There are two sides to the whole Bell story. Since it is obvious that the Steelers' intent is to Earl Campbell his ass, that is, to run the damn legs right off him, can't say I blame him for wanting all the money he can get. You know, for walkers and scooters and physical therapy and Blue Emu once he hits about 40.

And on the other side, I expect him to get 500 touches this year so he's as close as possible to used up when they let him go.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 08:20 AM)McC Wrote: There are two sides to the whole Bell story.  Since it is obvious that the Steelers' intent is to Earl Campbell his ass, that is, to run the damn legs right off him, can't say I blame him for wanting all the money he can get.  You know, for walkers and scooters and physical therapy and Blue Emu once he hits about 40.

And on the other side, I expect him to get 500 touches this year so he's as close as possible to used up when they let him go.

He could sign the tag and then, if he feels he's getting too many carries in any game, fake an injury, come out for the rest of the game, and still get his fully guaranteed money.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 05:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Steelers and Bell failed to reach a long-term deal, so he'll play out the season on the franchise tag.

Bell's agent says it's likely to be his last season with the Steelers and Bell says it will be his best season yet, but will he give 100% without a long-term deal?  When will he show up to the team?

Will the Steelers just run him into the ground?  Does he make it a full season?

He has a history of being ready and producing. The question may arise if he gets hurt, how hard will he train to get back and risk another injury? In other words will a 3 or 4 week injury turn into 6 or 8 weeks.

I think Bell is taking a huge risk with only one year guarantee unless he has a 50 million injury policy in 2018. Does anyone know if he has insurance? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 10:03 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I don't think you understand the concept of 'incentive'.  See michaelsean's post above for a primer.  

Given that he'll be trying to earn a contract from a new team, one could argue that Bell's quest to market himself would increase his effort.  The Steelers might be better off in 2018 with respect to him than they would have been had they settled on a long term contract.  People generally fight harder to get something than they do if they already have it.  Granted, it's only for one year, but it could be an awesome year. 

Incentives only have an effect if the reward is great enough.

Bell has already proven that he's a unique talent and top-tier at his position. What does he have to prove that hasn't already been proven?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:56 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Incentives only have an effect if the reward is great enough.

Bell has already proven that he's a unique talent and top-tier at his position. What does he have to prove that hasn't already been proven?

The difference between Bell and Todd Gurley is Gurley got his big pay because he doesn't get injured or suspended. I would take a risk on him before I give a big pay day to a guy that's 1 failed drug test away from a year suspension. Oh excuse me, Bell claims he never failed the drug tests, he just missed them. Bell is too much of a risk for the big pay he wants. I hope the Steelers just use him as much as possible this year and then let him go next year.
Reply/Quote