Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Bengals use 10 picks to move around in draft?
FA impacts the draft. Bengals have 10 draft picks but won't have 10 roster spots available. So, option is to draft and cut draft picks or draft and cut existing players under contract.

Would the Bengals use some of those picks to jump into the top 10 for example to get a future franchise type OT? OT is loaded, but problem is many predict top guys may be gone prior to our 18th pick.

Or trade up to get the best pass catching TE in the draft Bowers from Georgia?

Or do they use picks to move up in the second round to get a DJ Reader replacement?

There are many teams in rebuild mode and need additional picks like Titans, Bears and Giants.

I put this in the free agent thread because our FA deeply impacts the draft.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It completely depends on if another team calls. I do not expect our FO to be proactive and aggressive.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: FA impacts the draft. Bengals have 10 draft picks but won't have 10 roster spots available. So, option is to draft and cut draft picks or draft and cut existing players under contract.

Would the Bengals use some of those picks to jump into the top 10 for example to get a future franchise type OT? OT is loaded, but problem is many predict top guys may be gone prior to our 18th pick.

Or trade up to get the best pass catching TE in the draft Bowers from Georgia?

Or do they use picks to move up in the second round to get a DJ Reader replacement?

There are many teams in rebuild mode and need additional picks like Titans, Bears and Giants.

I put this in the free agent thread because our FA deeply impacts the draft.

Thoughts?

They could definitely make some moves, but dont expect any to be big movers.

Things to consider:
1.  It would take us giving up our 2nd rounder to even sniff the Top 10.  Any pick after the 2nd only moves us up 1 or 2 slots in the 1st.
2.  After the Top 100 (end of round 3) the talent level drops extremely quick in this year's draft according to multiple sources.

I could see us moving up in later rounds, we could jump to the top of the 3rd with our later 3rd round comp pick, or the top of the 4th with our 5th rounder, top of the 5th with our first 6th, but not the 2nd comp pick in the 6th.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:10 PM)CottonHill Wrote: It completely depends on if another team calls. I do not expect our FO to be proactive and aggressive.

We moved up in the 2nd Round to draft CTB.  We moved up to draft Tycen.

Reply/Quote
Move around aggressively? No.

Move around practically? Yes.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:14 PM)casear2727 Wrote: They could definitely make some moves, but dont expect any to be big movers.

Things to consider:
1.  It would take us giving up our 2nd rounder to even sniff the Top 10.  Any pick after the 2nd only moves us up 1 or 2 slots in the 1st.
2.  After the Top 100 (end of round 3) the talent level drops extremely quick in this year's draft according to multiple sources.

I could see us moving up in later rounds, we could jump to the top of the 3rd with our later 3rd round comp pick, or the top of the 4th with our 5th rounder, top of the 5th with our first 6th, but not the 2nd comp pick in the 6th.

Having two 3rd round picks makes it easier to give up a 2nd to move into the top 10 of the 1st and get that RT. Or maybe give up a 3rd and a 7th
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Having two 3rd round picks makes it easier to give up a 2nd to move into the top 10 of the 1st and get that RT. Or maybe give up a 3rd and a 7th

Bengals could also package a 2025 second round pick with a 2024 first and 6th to move into top 10. They could also package a 4th round pick instead of a 6th in 2024 since they have 2 third round picks.

They have options if they have a guy ranked #1 for team fit on the board.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Would the Bengals use some of those picks to jump into the top 10 for example to get a future franchise type OT? OT is loaded, but problem is many predict top guys may be gone prior to our 18th pick.

In the 2023 Draft the Steelers gave their 1st (#17) and a 4th (#120) to go up to pick #13 to get OT Broderick Jones

If the Bengals used the Compensatory pick #97 (that had been a 6th until the NFL corrected it) they could move up

from pick #18 to possibly around the 13th pick.

*Joe Alt would most likely NOT be there at #13 but maybe one of the following players could still be there at #13:

Taliese Fuaga
JC Latham
Olu Fashanu
Brock Bowers
Malik Nabors

*I am not convinced that any of the above 5 players will be there at pick #18 but maybe one is still there at pick #13.

Feel Free to add a name or two to the 5 above if someone thinks I missed one that may not be there at pick #18.
Reply/Quote
I think we are more likely to move back than up.

Especially Rd1. Say Fuaga, Latham, & Bowers are all gone. Who do we take? Best CB around? Mims or Guyton? Thomas? That menu may still be available at 22 or 23.

Now, in Rd2, I could see us moving up. Especially if Reader is gone. Sweat will not last. He and McKinley Jackson are the only 2 NTs I could see being good year 1.

But generally, we avoid big cost move ups. And we do have a lot of holes/needs.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Having two 3rd round picks makes it easier to give up a 2nd to move into the top 10 of the 1st and get that RT. Or maybe give up a 3rd and a 7th

Our highest 3rd and a 7th moves us up 2 spots at best, and that is a shaky maybe.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think we are more likely to move back than up.

Especially Rd1. Say Fuaga, Latham, & Bowers are all gone. Who do we take? Best CB around? Mims or Guyton? Thomas? That menu may still be available at 22 or 23.

Now, in Rd2, I could see us moving up. Especially if Reader is gone. Sweat will not last. He and McKinley Jackson are the only 2 NTs I could see being good year 1.

We already have 10 picks, not sure they want more than that. Anything outside the Top 100 isnt very valuable.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think we are more likely to move back than up.

I am not sure I understand your logic. Why would a team with a very good roster move back and get more picks when they have 10 now? There is no way 10 new draft picks will make our roster, I am assuming we address both DT and OT with at least stop gap starters prior to the draft.

Reply/Quote
They better. This roster does not have 10 spots on it for rookies.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if it could be the end of guys like Tycen, Hill the C, Carman, D’ante, Tufele, Carter, Gunter, Evans. Which is a good possibility if we keep all 10.

I’ve been hearing since the beginning of draft season that it is a weak class. That makes me want to trade up. And I’m usually a trade back guy.

But it won’t hurt my feelings if we trade away all four of the 6th and 7th rounders I believe we are supposed to have to make sure we get the guys we want. Just don’t let Tobin do it. And get his guys like Bodine and Ryan Finley………. Let a guest from the bengals board make the trade and the pick or some random person off the street.
Reply/Quote
Use Higgins in a trade and our 1st to move into the top 10 if we can get any team to agree
Reply/Quote
Things have changed, A LOT, with this franchise in the last few years. I wouldn't totally rule anything out. But totally selling their soul to move into the top ten isn't something that I'd guess is very likely.

Doing some kind of horse trading in the later rounds I'd say is very likely.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wonder if it could be the end of guys like Tycen, Hill the C, Carman, D’ante, Tufele, Carter, Gunter, Evans. Which is a good possibility if we keep all 10.

I’ve been hearing since the beginning of draft season that it is a weak class. That makes me want to trade up. And I’m usually a trade back guy.

But it won’t hurt my feelings if we trade away all four of the 6th and 7th rounders I believe we are supposed to have to make sure we get the guys we want. Just don’t let Tobin do it. And get his guys like Bodine and Ryan Finley………. Let a guest from the bengals board make the trade and the pick or some random person off the street.

I wouldn't call it a weak class.  More an extremely top heavy one.  There's a huge drop off once you get outside the Top 100 prospects or so.

That said, there's still some fringe guys hanging onto the 53 that we can use those picks to at least bring some competition for, like Evans, Trey Hill, etc.  But it wouldn't be a bad idea to use those picks to move up, either, like maybe package some picks to move up into the top of 4.
Reply/Quote
Duke hates trading up. Unless 2022 repeats and their draft board gets depleted quickly, I fully expect them to keep all 10 picks and possibly even trade down for even more. I wouldn't be surprised to see them use those late round picks on possibly finding a punter to compete with Robbins and a 3rd QB to possibly take over for Browning in a couple of seasons.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
An interesting take on Denver. Denver has pick #12 and needs a QB. I hope we are talking to Denver right now to discuss swapping 1st round picks.

Watch for the trade-up talk to start circling Minnesota and Denver for the next month.
Miller: With Cousins in Atlanta and Russell Wilson in Pittsburgh, the Vikings (No. 11) and Broncos (No. 12) are trade-up candidates. There is considerable buzz about Minnesota trying to move into the top five to secure a quarterback such as McCarthy or potentially Maye/Daniels if either falls past New England. Friday saw the Vikings make a move to add an additional first-round selection (No. 23) from the Texans -- in exchange for 2024 second- and sixth-round picks, plus a 2025 second-rounder. With two first-round picks, the Vikings now own the draft capital to fly up the board for a quarterback. The latest leaguewide rumor has the Vikings trading to No. 4 overall, where the Cardinals are in a sweet spot to trade out with a quarterback-needy team.

The Broncos, on the other hand, are in a weird spot at No. 12 and with no second-round pick to leverage in a move up. The competition for QB4 in this draft is heating up after Minnesota acquired that second first-rounder. The Broncos simply can't compete with the Vikings' draft capital in the 2024 class and would have to blow away a team with 2025 and/or 2026 draft picks in any attempt to trade up. The better move for Denver may be trying to trade down the board to recoup draft picks and select Oregon's Bo Nix somewhere lower in the order. It's that, or roll with Jarrett Stidham and a yet-to-be-added veteran in 2024.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:37 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Duke hates trading up. Unless 2022 repeats and their draft board gets depleted quickly, I fully expect them to keep all 10 picks and possibly even trade down for even more. I wouldn't be surprised to see them use those late round picks on possibly finding a punter to compete with Robbins and a 3rd QB to possibly take over for Browning in a couple of seasons.

I wouldn't mind taking Milton or Pratt later on.
Reply/Quote