Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Will Billings See The Field Much??
(07-24-2016, 12:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: He got practically zero playing time until John Thornton went to Marvin and stated that Geno was way better than himself and deserved to be on the field in his place.

So Marvin and the rest of the coaching staff didn't figure this out on their own? That's alarming.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2016, 12:34 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Well I guess that gives us our answer.  Unless Peko does the same, I think he will play sparingly, it really depends on how this new DL coach feels about him and about keeping fresh guys on the field.  

Pat Sims would have to do the same for Billings to slide into the starting NT spot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2016, 03:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So Marvin and the rest of the coaching staff didn't figure this out on their own? That's alarming.

It appears to be a common problem with newer players having to wait sometimes till their third year before being utilized.  Burfict was pressed into service because Howard was injured, otherwise there's no telling how long it would have taken to get him on the field.

It's hard to know just how legitimate the team's reluctance to get players on the field is.  But the whole thing with Geno was frustrating.   Your judgment just has to be better than that with these short contracts.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2016, 12:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: He got practically zero playing time until John Thornton went to Marvin and stated that Geno was way better than himself and deserved to be on the field in his place.

Wasn't Thornton number 97? I think he was gone by then. I could be wrong but I remember Geno being part of the rotation all season behind Tank and Peko. Dunlap is the guy I don't remember playing until the second half of the season. Either way, i can't argue. Marvin doesn't rush rookies out there. 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2016, 09:23 PM)jason Wrote: Wasn't Thornton number 97? I think he was gone by then. I could be wrong but I remember Geno being part of the rotation all season behind Tank and Peko. Dunlap is the guy I don't remember playing until the second half of the season. Either way, i can't argue. Marvin doesn't rush rookies out there. 

I think he meant when Thorton was a coach.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2016, 12:48 PM)3wt Wrote: It appears to be a common problem with newer players having to wait sometimes till their third year before being utilized.  Burfict was pressed into service because Howard was injured, otherwise there's no telling how long it would have taken to get him on the field.

It's hard to know just how legitimate the team's reluctance to get players on the field is.  But the whole thing with Geno was frustrating.   Your judgment just has to be better than that with these short contracts.

Are they really reluctant to get young guys out there? Personally I think Dre is the reason that we believe this. Now that we've seem him, I can understand why the staff was underwhelmed by him. Gio got snaps right away. The same with Eifert. Zeitler started day one. Bodine too. Dalton didn't sit behind Gradkowski. 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Thornton last played in the NFL in 2008.

Atkins came into the NFL in 2010.

Sooooo.... yeah. Okay. Sounds like a legit story.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2016, 09:23 PM)jason Wrote: Wasn't Thornton number 97? I think he was gone by then. I could be wrong but I remember Geno being part of the rotation all season behind Tank and Peko. Dunlap is the guy I don't remember playing until the second half of the season. Either way, i can't argue. Marvin doesn't rush rookies out there. 

You're right.

It was Sims he said it about, not Geno.

The years are starting to run together in my mind.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2016, 09:39 PM)jason Wrote: Are they really reluctant to get young guys out there? Personally I think Dre is the reason that we believe this. Now that we've seem him, I can understand why the staff was underwhelmed by him. Gio got snaps right away. The same with Eifert. Zeitler started day one. Bodine too. Dalton didn't sit behind Gradkowski. 

Dennard hasn't played many snaps and it took a while for Gio, Hill, or Eifert to get any significant snaps. The only people that started right away was players in need positions. 

Which honestly isn't a bad thing to have rookies sit the bench if they don't have to go on the field. It reduces the chance to have rookie mistakes and them to learn the playbook.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2016, 11:24 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dennard hasn't played many snaps and it took a while for Gio, Hill, or Eifert to get any significant snaps. The only people that started right away was players in need positions. 

Which honestly isn't a bad thing to have rookies sit the bench if they don't have to go on the field. It reduces the chance to have rookie mistakes and them to learn the playbook.

Shocked

Reply/Quote

Dunlap didn't play the 1st half because he didn't take practice seriously. Hobson and beat writers all mentioned that.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 04:22 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Dunlap didn't play the 1st half because he didn't take practice seriously. Hobson and beat writers all mentioned that.

I bet he was doing an Iverson "We talkin bout practice" impersonation when he was getting those 8 or 9 sacks that year.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 04:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: There's an article on the Bengals website that's praising Billings and maybe giving us a hint that he could see the field sooner rather than later.

He seems hungry to get to work and wants to get in and improve on his already impressive skills:

Marshall's a great guy, and there's a few more promising quotes from him in the article, so, if he has Cliff's blessing, he has mine  ThumbsUp

I've been watching this kid's highlights and been wondering how the hell he fell to us in the fourth round, but I'm thinking we could maybe be looking at another case like Geno's where we got a steal, which I'm not saying he'll be THAT good, because that's high praise, but he seems like he's pretty darn good.

His one weakness on his scouting report was his size, which, ok, play Peko on running downs and bring Billings in on passing downs and his size won't matter because he won't need to be taking on double teams and staying stout, he'll just have to run past linemen.  

I'm loving this and think that he could do big things for our D!  Kid's a hard worker, so I think we could see us having the best defensive tackle duo in the NFL once he sees the field more and gets his feel into the NFL!  Our pass rush will be a NIGHTMARE for Big Ben and every other offense we face!

BILLINGS!!!

Everyone knows how i feel about the dude. My favorite player in this last draft for us.

I love hearing that we might give him some snaps early which i did not expect being how we usually
don't give many rookies too much. I figured by midseason he was going to be too good to not start.

Could be earlier. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 04:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: His one weakness on his scouting report was his size, which, ok, play Peko on running downs and bring Billings in on passing downs and his size won't matter because he won't need to be taking on double teams and staying stout, he'll just have to run past linemen.  

Shoot he's a stud against the run and splitting double teams.  I've heard several criticisms of him, the biggest being him ending up on the ground too much - and I did see him on the ground a fair amount.

But I think he looked formidable against the run and the pass, which should make him an awesome option in our rotation.

And you're right, the fact that he's plugging in and putting the work in up front is very encouraging.   Can't wait to see him with the pads on!
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 04:57 PM)jason Wrote: I bet he was doing an Iverson "We talkin bout practice" impersonation when he was getting those 8 or 9 sacks that year.

Considering he didn't get his first sack until week 10 his rookie year, when he improved his practice habits, I doubt it.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 04:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Considering he didn't get his first sack until week 10 his rookie year, when he improved his practice habits, I doubt it.

Dunlap had a concussion early in training camp his rookie season.  That slowed his development a bit, but he had his first sack in week 5 and had SEVEN sacks by week 10.

He ended with 9.5 sacks in just 12 games played
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 11:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap had a concussion early in training camp his rookie season.  That slowed his development a bit, but he had his first sack in week 5 and had SEVEN sacks by week 10.

He ended with 9.5 sacks in just 12 games played

What?

http://www.nfl.com/player/carlosdunlap/496780/gamelogs?season=2010

Week 5?

Also Fred, this is from the Bengals website:

Quote:On Nov. 14 at Indianapolis, brought down Peyton Manning for first career sack.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2016, 04:18 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: What?

http://www.nfl.com/player/carlosdunlap/496780/gamelogs?season=2010

Week 5?

Also Fred, this is from the Bengals website:

My bad.  I looked at his game logs on Profootballreference and it showed him getting his first sack in the fifth game he played.  I thought that was the fifth game of the season.
Reply/Quote