Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Burrow Be Scared Like Carson Was?
Carson's first year back from injury, he wasn't bad, but he was always pulling up on his throws and never stepping into them fully if there was a defender anywhere near his legs, and, that offseason, he even admitted that he was doing it.

We still went 8-8 that year, which makes you wonder about the possibilities if he hadn't been scared of being re-injured.

I don't know if he sought counseling or had a hypnotist put him under a spell and that made him forget about it, but he was back to normal in 2007 (for the most part).

Do you think Burrow will have that same fear for a full season? Less? More?

Does being injured from the front play a role in it since Carson had his knee rolled over from the back?

How much do we need to improve the line to prevent it from happening?
Reply/Quote
He's fearless.

The hits never bothered him; it was a freak accident that caused the injury.

He'll be fine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 01:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: ....He'll be fine.

Sooooo, you're psychic, huh?
Can you tell me the next set of Powerball numbers?
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 01:35 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Sooooo, you're psychic, huh?

We don’t even know the extent of the injury , it could be worse or better than anyone knows right now. The hit looked bad so expect worse case. Nerve damage is a real possibility. Who knows if he’ll ever be the same but he definitely gonna lose some of that elusiveness
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 01:35 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Sooooo, you're psychic, huh?

Have you watched a single game of his in the past 3 years?

That's right, you haven't, as you mentally checked-out 2 years ago and haven't bothered to pay any attention to the team (by your own admission).

He has the heart of a Tiger and he won't shy away; you can see it in the kid's makeup, demeanor and attitude; he isn't a weak shell of a human being like Carsone...

... or you are.

(11-23-2020, 01:39 PM)Bengals731 Wrote: We don’t even know the extent of the injury , it could be worse or better than anyone knows right now. The hit looked bad so expect worse case. Nerve damage is a real possibility. Who knows if he’ll ever be the same but he definitely gonna lose some of that elusiveness

The fact that:

1. The knee popped back in place
2. He was able to move under his own power, to travel home with the team.

Means that it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone is crying about.

I look to be positive about the whole sitch and in my non-medical-background (but from what I know and have experienced), I don't think it is nearly as bad as anyone is making it out to be.

Carsone had it worse.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Palmer was pretty much as good in 2006 as he was in 2005 despite being sacked almost twice as many times.

2005...1st in tds, 2nd in rating, 4th in yards, only 19 sacks
2006...2nd in tds, 6th in rating, 5th in yards, 36 sacks.

I don't remember what he admitted to, but it clearly did not effect his production..  In fact I would say that considering that he was getting sacked twice as often his '06 numbers were actually more impressive than '05.

And, No, I don't think Burrow will be playing scared next year.  Naybe playing a little smarter, but not scared.
Reply/Quote
Palmer tore his ACL, MCL and displaced his kneecap. He came back the following training camp and went to the Pro Bowl that season. Burrow is tougher and better than Palmer was. 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 01:40 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He has the heart of a Tiger and he won't shy away;

Katy Perry, is that you??? (Love your jugs by the way!)

Reply/Quote
Burrow and Palmer are different.
Palmer was the epitome of a tree standing in the pocket who doesn't really move. He 100% depended on a stout OL, but he was surgical when he had time.
Burrow incorporates scrambling into his game. So if this injury affects his mobility, it may be more detrimental to him unless/until the Bengals can get a good enough OL to give him plenty of time to throw on a consistent basis.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 01:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Palmer tore his ACL, MCL and displaced his kneecap. He came back the following training camp and went to the Pro Bowl that season. Burrow is tougher and better than Palmer was. 

There is no basis to claim that Burrow is better or tougher than Palmer.

In addition to the incredible comeback in '06 Palmer also attempted to play a game with a torn ligament in his elbow in 2008 before shutting it down for surgery.  He was a very tough guy.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 02:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Burrow and Palmer are different.
Palmer was the epitome of a tree standing in the pocket who doesn't really move. He 100% depended on a stout OL, but he was surgical when he had time.
Burrow incorporates scrambling into his game. So if this injury affects his mobility, it may be more detrimental to him unless/until the Bengals can get a good enough OL to give him plenty of time to throw on a consistent basis.

I think even the 15 years difference in injury makes it overall different as well.  I have no medical knowledge, so this is pure speculation, but i imagine that medical treatment is overall better than in 05.  

Burrow will be getting the best and brightest helping him get back to where he was, if not even better honestly.  I choose to believe that.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 02:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no basis to claim that Burrow is better or tougher than Palmer.

In addition to the incredible comeback in '06 Palmer also attempted to play a game with a torn ligament in his elbow in 2008 before shutting it down for surgery.  He was a very tough guy.

The fact Burrow is breaking all kinds of rookie records Palmer didn't shows me he is better than Palmer was in his 1st year. As for tougher, I feel like Burrow is tougher, but you are right, it's just a feeling
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 02:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The fact Burrow is breaking all kinds of rookie records Palmer didn't shows me he is better than Palmer was in his 1st year. As for tougher, I feel like Burrow is tougher, but you are right, it's just a feeling

Because I love Boston, I'll say it's more than a feeling.  ha.

But mostly because I think Burrow is honestly tougher than any rookie QB I've ever seen.  Dude doesn't shy away from or crumble for any reason.  My gosh, that Chase Young hit that made him fumble.... I likely would've been laying on the couch for a week starting right then and there!  Based on what we've seen, he's a friggin' beast, and that my friends is more than just a feeling.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 01:40 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He has the heart of a Tiger and he won't shy away...

You can hurl personal insults at me all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that you are SPECULATING.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 02:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no basis to claim that Burrow is better or tougher than Palmer.

Yeah, I realize it's a sin to compliment Palmer, but the guy tore his ACL twice and he followed by playing very good 16-game seasons.  If Burrow can hold up to Palmer's wimpy/quitter standard and play like Palmer did in 2006 and/or 2015 I think we'll be pretty happy.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 01:40 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Have you watched a single game of his in the past 3 years?

That's right, you haven't, as you mentally checked-out 2 years ago and haven't bothered to pay any attention to the team (by your own admission).

He has the heart of a Tiger and he won't shy away; you can see it in the kid's makeup, demeanor and attitude; he isn't a weak shell of a human being like Carsone...

... or you are.

The fact that:

1. The knee popped back in place
2. He was able to move under his own power, to travel home with the team.

Means that it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone is crying about.

I look to be positive about the whole sitch and in my non-medical-background (but from what I know and have experienced), I don't think it is nearly as bad as anyone is making it out to be.

Carsone had it worse.

I'm assuming that comment might be more related to the circumstances of Palmer's departure because he showed a hell of a lot of attitude and fight to come back in 2006 and take every snap (bar one) in all 16 games.

One thing I do think is a consideration is us - hopefully - getting a proper pre season in 2021 post Covid 

If he's good to go,  letting Joe ease back into it, ramp it up slowly in a non regular season situation would help

Seem to remember Carson coming back .vs. Packers in 2006 pre season and getting confident, looking good from the get go
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 02:08 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I think even the 15 years difference in injury makes it overall different as well.  I have no medical knowledge, so this is pure speculation, but i imagine that medical treatment is overall better than in 05.  

Burrow will be getting the best and brightest helping him get back to where he was, if not even better honestly.  I choose to believe that.

I hope you're not referring to the Bengals medical staff... Shocked
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

He had to be in order for him to take that hot dog picture. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think hindsight is showing Carson in worse light than actually existed back in 2006. The truth is he was still very good. He always had a tendency to fly his passes high, even in college and his early NFL career and I think that tendency just got worse as his career continued. I don't think his injury really had all that much to do with that. He showed he could still play when he went on to Arizona, after all.

I don't think we have to worry about Joe being gun shy or damaged beyond repair next year. It seems to be a torn ACL, which is a common injury and the recovery has a higher success rate now than even in 2005.

Given Joe's mentality, I think he'll come back even better and we'll be better for it.

I just hope we have a new coach by then.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 02:16 PM)PhilHos Wrote: He had to be in order for him to take that hot dog picture. Mellow

I always think of this when this stuff comes up...it's a hoot!

Reply/Quote