Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Burrow have Carson Syndrome?
(05-17-2021, 12:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just more mentally weak than Burrow, that is all I am saying. Mellow

Burrow quit on the Buckeyes when they had one of the best programs in the country.

I like him as our QB of the future, but I don't see where people are getting all this about his"mental toughness".  
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow quit on the Buckeyes when they had one of the best programs in the country.

I like him as our QB of the future, but I don't see where people are getting all this about his"mental toughness".  

Another example of you posting false information just to be controversial.

He left OSU because he wasn't going to start.  How is that quitting on the Buckeyes?
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow quit on the Buckeyes when they had one of the best programs in the country.

Let's rephrase the conversation to Burrow transferred to use his final two years of eligibility so he could he play football instead of watching it from the sidelines. He earned his degree and honored his commitment as a student-athlete. He then found a new opportunity to play a game elsewhere.  Leaving OSU after graduating doesn't equate to a lack of mental toughness no more than the anecdotal posts people are making saying he is tough. 

Also, context matters. Suggesting he is a quitter because of a choice he made years ago as a younger man doesn't mean he is now, or not, a mentally tough professional. It seems silly to equate a past decision at OSU to his current position with the Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 01:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Another example of you posting false information just to be controversial.

He left OSU because he wasn't going to start.  How is that quitting on the Buckeyes?

I didn't include it in my own reply to fredtoast, but I do share the same thought you expressed.

Does the board have a no-trolling policy? My radar is going off...

[Image: tenor.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 01:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He left OSU because he wasn't going to start.  How is that quitting on the Buckeyes?

So if a player is not a starter then it is impossible for him to quit on the team?

Intetesting logic.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 01:41 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I didn't include it in my own reply to fredtoast, but I do share the same thought you expressed.

Does the board have a no-trolling policy? My radar is going off...

[Image: tenor.gif]

Apparently not, because he does it quite often, especially to me.  

To add to your previous post, I think it actually points to Burrow being more mentally strong to take a chance, go far away from where he was from and in college to have a shot at succeeding instead of just saying "oh well, I guess I'll just be a backup and end my career after this."

That's the kind of guy I want leading our team: someone who wants to be on the field and win.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So if a player is not a starter then it is impossible for him to quit on the team?

Intetesting logic.

How was that quitting on them?

If he wasn't going to see the field, then what was OSU losing?
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 01:56 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How was that quitting on them?

If he wasn't going to see the field, then what was OSU losing?

A great back up QB is very valuable to any team.

How is it NOT quitting on the team.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A great back up QB is very valuable to any team.

How is it NOT quitting on the team.

How many college quarterbacks go down?  It's not like any other position where a backup might see some time and be able to prove themselves.

He was offering nothing to the team as a backup, so he went somewhere that would be beneficial to his future and did OSU lose anything?  

If someone switches jobs because they're going to get paid more, receive better benefits, and have more of a role in benefiting the company, are they quitting on the first company?

It's called moving on in life and bettering yourself, and his is especially good because OSU didn't suffer at all.  
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 01:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Another example of you posting false information just to be controversial.

Because Burrow should have stayed and won the starting gig?  
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Because Burrow should have stayed and won the starting gig?  

A lot of coaches are set in their beliefs and won't give a player a shot, regardless of how good he is.  

Look at John Thorton: he had to go to Marvin and tell him to start Sims over him (I think it was Thorton and Sims?).
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:30 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: A lot of coaches are set in their beliefs and won't give a player a shot, regardless of how good he is.  

Look at John Thorton: he had to go to Marvin and tell him to start Sims over him (I think it was Thorton and Sims?).

I don't know who the coach as OSU was at the time.  Is he someone who seems to have some sort of inability to evaluate talent or something?

I don't actually know the situation, but from the outside Burrow leaving OSU because he "Can't win the starting job" does sort of throw a wrench in the narrative that the guy is the ultimate competitor with a mind of steel.
Reply/Quote

Exactly.
As much as it shows loyalty to stick with your team, you need to be starting and play well if you hope to have a career in the NFL.
Burrow did what was best for him to pursue the career he wanted instead of sitting as a backup for yet another year.
I'd rather go to another college team if it meant I get to pursue my career of choice.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't know who the coach as OSU was at the time.  Is he someone who seems to have some sort of inability to evaluate talent or something?

You're talking in circles.

He wasn't getting the best chance at OSU and maybe he felt like he could play like Peyton Manning in practice and still not get the starting job, so he transferred to LSU and was a star.

That's doing the smart thing and taking his best opportunity to succeed.

That's what successful people do.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Exactly.
As much as it shows loyalty to stick with your team, you need to be starting and play well if you hope to have a career in the NFL.
Burrow did what was best for him to pursue the career he wanted instead of sitting as a backup for yet another year.
I'd rather go to another college team if it meant I get to pursue my career of choice.

That makes sense, but we also seem to have this notion that Burrow is the kind of guy who sees a tough or unfair situation and uses that as fuel to give it 157% and force his way to the top.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:36 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You're talking in circles.

He wasn't getting the best chance at OSU and maybe he felt like he could play like Peyton Manning in practice and still not get the starting job, so he transferred to LSU and was a star.

That's doing the smart thing and taking his best opportunity to succeed.

That's what successful people do.

I'm not ragging on Burrow.  I'm just saying it looks like he did the same thing Carson Palmer did.  He didn't like the situation he was in and felt held back so he went somewhere that wanted him and got a big ol' payday out of it.

Hopefully Burrow doesn't feel like the Bengals are ever holding him back.
Reply/Quote

[Image: 44b56a3ffc7de9f23b2fb461165e9d62.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what your stance on the Palmer thing is...are we saying that Palmer quits like a wimp and Burrow quits like a fox? Meh, we need football to start.
Reply/Quote

When they named a Sophomore starter it sealed his fate at Ohio State.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:43 PM)Synric Wrote: When they named a Sophomore starter it sealed his fate at Ohio State.

Exactly because, no matter how good Burrow plays in practice, they're not going to start him because they're planning for the next few years.
Reply/Quote