Poll: Gio or Hill?
Giovani Bernard
Jeremy Hill
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Gio or Hill get more touches next season?
Who do you guys think should start next season?

Jeremy Hill or Giovani Bernard? To be honest, I want to see if Hill can come out and be motivated but I'm just not sure.

I honestly think Gio deserves the starting position, putting up another 1000+ yards from scrimmage and averaging 4.7 yards per run.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
If you start Hill then you need to let him get more carries and get into a rhythm. Pulling guys out every other series doesn't let anyone get in a rhythm, Hill seems like the kind of guy who gains steam as he gets more carries.
Reply/Quote
Not even sure how this is a question.

Gio should start, hands down. Was easily the most productive back last year. If Hill wants to start again, he needs to earn it.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 09:42 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not even sure how this is a question.

Gio should start, hands down. Was easily the most productive back last year. If Hill wants to start again, he needs to earn it.

Many still believe that Hill deserves a chance even after what happened.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I don't think it matters they're splitting carries.

Remember when Gio was considered trash after his 2nd season by most forums goers standards and Hill was just so good Gio should've rode the bench? Some of you guys waffle back and forth so much.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 10:17 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I don't think it matters they're splitting carries.

Remember when Gio was considered trash after his 2nd season by most forums goers standards and Hill was just so good Gio should've rode the bench? Some of you guys waffle back and forth so much.

Gio dropped from 4.1 ypc to 4.0 ypc and from 9.2 per catch to 8.1 per catch.
Hill dropped from 5.1 ypc to 3.6 ypc and from 8.0 per catch to 5.3 per catch.

Apples to oranges, man. People hated on Gio because they expected him to take a big step up and he didn't. Meanwhile Hill was just absolutely awful to watch pretty much all year.

After 2015 and nobody saying Hill played injured or anything, I am forced to wonder if it's not 2015 that was the oddity for Hill, but that 9 game stretch in 2014 that was the oddity. Similar situation to that 5 game stretch BJGE had in 2012 where he rushed for 543 yards in 5 games at 5.1 ypc. People thought "oh man, maybe he's going to be great for the Bengals" but he rushed for 3.4 ypc the next season and was out of the league the season after. Sometimes the Bengals OL has these random stretches where they decided they would indeed like to run block that game. Maybe that's what Hill got?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 10:38 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gio dropped from 4.1 ypc to 4.0 ypc and from 9.2 per catch to 8.1 per catch.

Apples to oranges, man. People hated on Gio because they expected him to take a big step up and he didn't. Meanwhile Hill was just absolutely awful to watch pretty much all year.

After 2015 and nobody saying Hill played injured or anything, I am forced to wonder if it's not 2015 that was the oddity for Hill, but that 9 game stretch in 2014 that was the oddity. Similar situation to that 5 game stretch BJGE had in 2012 where he rushed for 543 yards in 5 games at 5.1 ypc. People thought "oh man, maybe he's going to be great for the Bengals" but he rushed for 3.4 ypc the next season and was out of the league the season after. Sometimes the Bengals OL has these random stretches where they decided they would indeed like to run block that game. Maybe that's what Hill got?

It wasn't because he was running through double wide lanes in 2014, he was hitting the hole hard and running dues over breaking tackles. It just looked different last year, like he tried changing the way he runs. Maybe having a new OC will help him. I still think Hills ceiling is higher than Gio, but think we are going to be okay either way. My best guess is we do the same thing we did last year flip flopping from time to time depending on who the hot hand is.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 10:38 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gio dropped from 4.1 ypc to 4.0 ypc and from 9.2 per catch to 8.1 per catch.

Hill was injured..Ask Lapham...he saw a hitch in his giddy for at least the first 6 games...he talked about it on the radio constantly...He observed it with his own eyes...They may not have reported him injured but he was most definitely was..Most likely a carry over form the playoff game the previous year.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 10:47 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Hill was injured..Ask Lapham...he saw a hitch in his giddy for at least the first 6 games...he talked about it on the radio constantly...He observed it with his own eyes...They may not have reported him injured but he was most definitely was..Most likely a carry over form the playoff game the previous year.

Unless it was reported as an injury, it falls under the "I suck therefor I am injured" category.

Reply/Quote
I really think it's going to be Hill. Our running game really needs to improve this year and it can't be all outside running. You just gotta be able to run the ball between the tackles and that's Hill.

We may go with Gio, but frankly he's never done much between the tackles and is best used in space. Could see us going with Gio since we are going to be breaking in a couple of new receivers however, no one would respect our inside run though.

We could go with two back sets with Hill blocking and Gio as the RB. To me that's a long shot, even though the best option IMO would get the two most talented backs out on the field at the same time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 10:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Unless it was reported as an injury, it falls under the "I suck therefor I am injured" category.

He got pulled from the playoff game in 2014 for that injury and it was never reported by the Bengals...does that mean it did not happen?  Or that what the reporters saw and were told by other sources are just lies?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 10:59 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I really think it's going to be Hill. Our running game really needs to improve this year and it can't be all outside running. You just gotta be able to run the ball between the tackles and that's Hill.

We may go with Gio, but frankly he's never done much between the tackles and is best used in space. Could see us going with Gio since we are going to be breaking in a couple of new receivers however, no one would respect our inside run.

We could go with two back sets with Hill blocking and Gio as the RB. To me that's a long shot, even though the best option IMO would get the two most talented backs out on the field at the same time.

Actually that has been proven false in the past...Gio actually has a higher YPC between the tackles...At least prior to last year
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 11:02 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Actually that has been proven false in the past...Gio actually has a higher YPC between the tackles...At least prior to last year

I trust my eyes more that someone else's numbers.

Reply/Quote
Hill. However, they should use Gio more in passing situations.

Everyone wanted Gio to start and he did in 2014, but he was pretty underwhelming and then Hill tore everything up.

Then in 2015, Hill was underwhelming and Gio had an extremely good year.

We have a 1-2 punch. Both are very good at what they do. Hill will get more carries, but Gio will see more looks in both the rushing and passing game.

However, next year should help the Bengals decide who do they want to lock up long term considering Gio's contract expires in 2017 and Hill's in 2018.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 11:14 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Hill. However, they should use Gio more in passing situations.

Everyone wanted Gio to start and he did in 2014, but he was pretty underwhelming and then Hill tore everything up.

Then in 2015, Hill was underwhelming and Gio had an extremely good year.

We have a 1-2 punch. Both are very good at what they do. Hill will get more carries, but Gio will see more looks in both the rushing and passing game.

However, next year should help the Bengals decide who do they want to lock up long term considering Gio's contract expires in 2017 and Hill's in 2018.

If I had to make a prediction, Hill ends up with more carries, Gio ends up with a career high in targets/catches due to our receiving core being thin, and we decide on his future in the offseason because we drafted a late round running back this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 10:59 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I really think it's going to be Hill. Our running game really needs to improve this year and it can't be all outside running. You just gotta be able to run the ball between the tackles and that's Hill.

We may go with Gio, but frankly he's never done much between the tackles and is best used in space. Could see that since we are going to be breaking in a couple of new receivers.

We could go with two back sets with Hill blocking and Gio as the RB. To me that's a long shot, but would get the two most talented backs out on the field at the same time.

Lolololol.... if only you knew how ridiculous pretty much all the statements in this post are.

Yards per carry by direction, 2014-2015...

Total:
Gio 4.38
Hill 4.31

Right:

Gio 4.27
Hill 5.30

Left:
Gio 4.67
Hill 3.75

Middle:
Gio 4.28
Hill 3.56

Left Sideline:
Gio 5.00
Hill 4.10

Right Sideline:
Gio 2.72
Hill 3.78

(If you were wondering, Hill's right is so good because in 2014 he ran for 7.2 YPC that way, 3.4 in 2015)

The point is, Hill is NOT a good runner up the middle. He never has been. It is actually his worst direction to run, and he is below 3.8 YPC in TWO of the three directions in between the tackles.... Gio is a superior runner up the middle with above a 4.2 YPC in all three of the directions in between the tackles.. Someone started this whole "oh, Gio needs to go outside and Hill up the middle" talk and it apparently became "fact" somewhere along the lines, but it's utter nonsense.

As for your two RB sets, Gio is also a better blocker than Hill as well.
https://vine.co/v/e2JFUjqqbFj
https://vine.co/v/e9DzED9tjIt
(Those were both 2015 and just off the top of my head. Can't recall any from Hill.)

[Image: Mic-Drop.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 11:00 AM)spazz70 Wrote: He got pulled from the playoff game in 2014 for that injury and it was never reported by the Bengals...does that mean it did not happen?  Or that what the reporters saw and were told by other sources are just lies?

If he got pulled from a game in 2014 for injury, it went unreported because the season ended, or was cramps or something.

You're comparing one game at the end of a season against an ENTIRE season. I don't buy that he was hurt for half or an entire season and the Bengals never listed him on the injury report. The Bengals don't play Patriots games with their injury report.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 11:38 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If he got pulled from a game in 2014 for injury, it went unreported because the season ended, or was cramps or something.

You're comparing one game at the end of a season against an ENTIRE season. I don't buy that he was hurt for half or an entire season and the Bengals never listed him on the injury report. The Bengals don't play Patriots games with their injury report.

The only rebuttal I have with that is how the Bengals went about Gresham's injury toward the end of the season. They acted like he really wasn't that hurt and so on, heck, even as attacked by the media about it and had to defend himself only to find out that he fought through a ton of injuries and had to get back surgery, which would have been better for him to get earlier on.

That's the only instance I can think of a defense, honestly.

It's highly unlikely, but sometimes things happen. I agree with you, but there's still that small chance.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
There was an interesting conversation on one of the Monday night games where Gruden pointed out that Gio was the fastest in the league at getting to the hole after having the ball, while Hill was one of the slowest (I believe he was third slowest, but not 100%). Hill looked neither explosive or powerful last year. Granted, he had a good stretch in 2014, but he looked bad most of last year and terrible for long stretches.

My opinion... Gio has better hands out of the backfield, has better ball security, is more explosive, and is better with the ball in space. I personally feel that Gio should get more carries and can actually be a three down back.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 10:17 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I don't think it matters they're splitting carries.

Just think, 1 year ago we had people around here fearing that Hue Jackson was so stupid that he wouldn't give Hill the ball 30+ times a game that we needed to trade Gio or convert him into a slot-WR to avoid the temptation of doing something crazy like...using Gio.

EGADS!!!!
Reply/Quote