Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Will Grier in the 2nd or 3rd?
I'm of the mind that we are not drafting an immediate replacement for Dalton this year.  None of the QBs in this draft jump off the screen as being day one starters, with perhaps the exception of Dwayne Haskins who likely will not be there when we pick at #11.

But I gotta say, if we bring in a new offensive-minded coach, and Grier is sitting there in the second or third round, I'm tempted to have that conversation.  Some might say he's a Dalton clone, but one thing he has that I think Dalton lacks is... well, spunk.  I can see Grier slipping more comfortably into a leadership role.  I like Dalton well enough, but his "Golly shucks" demeanor compared to some of the more fiery QBs in the league is night and day.  I want that in our QB.  And while Grier may not have elite arm strength, his touch is insane.  

Plus, a 2nd or 3rd round pick isn't as much of a financial burden as a 1st rounder, so it wouldn't be the complete end of the world if he doesn't pan out to anything more than a serviceable back-up.  

Thoughts?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Even a first-round pick isn’t much of a financial burden anymore. It’s more about who could they have taken instead if that first rounder doesn’t pan out.

As for Grier, if Taylor and Van Pelt (still the QB coach) think they can refine some of Grier’s issues, I’d be fine with him on Day 2. I just don’t see any QB in this draft class safe enough of a pick in Rd 1 and the Bengals need LB or OL more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Starting QB is one of our least needs. A solid backup might be good but not before the 4th. i watched Grier a lot this year, and he's not dropping below second/low first.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:02 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm of the mind that we are not drafting an immediate replacement for Dalton this year.  None of the QBs in this draft jump off the screen as being day one starters, with perhaps the exception of Dwayne Haskins who likely will not be there when we pick at #11.

But I gotta say, if we bring in a new offensive-minded coach, and Grier is sitting there in the second or third round, I'm tempted to have that conversation.  Some might say he's a Dalton clone, but one thing he has that I think Dalton lacks is... well, spunk.  I can see Grier slipping more comfortably into a leadership role.  I like Dalton well enough, but his "Golly shucks" demeanor compared to some of the more fiery QBs in the league is night and day.  I want that in our QB.  And while Grier may not have elite arm strength, his touch is insane.  

Plus, a 2nd or 3rd round pick isn't as much of a financial burden as a 1st rounder, so it wouldn't be the complete end of the world if he doesn't pan out to anything more than a serviceable back-up.  

Thoughts?

I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but a lot of it will depend on what holes we fill in FA and who else is available at that point in the draft.  The way the board and FA is shaking up, there's a good chance there is a mid-1st rated DT sitting there in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
Been labeled as nothing more than a high quality backup. No thanks.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 12:35 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Been labeled as nothing more than a high quality backup. No thanks.

Will Grier throws the ball as pretty as any QB in this draft. He understands ball placement and has amazing touch especially with the deep ball. He consistently puts the ball in places only his guys have a chance at it.

But does he have the arm to zip into tight NFL windows I don't know...He also has a huge issue with running backwards when pressured always trying to make a huge play.

https://youtu.be/_TbvORuKqxA

https://youtu.be/KfuQGcZhN0o
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote