Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Marvin ever learn clock management
Week 1 He used up all his timeouts like they were candy against Raiders.
week 2 and 3 His end of first half reasoning was just terrible with favorable field position . Yes we had a lead in both games but leaving potential points on the board is a recipe for disaster.
Reply/Quote
No. He's been here for 43 years. If it hasn't happened by now, it ain't gonna.
Reply/Quote
Why should he? 4 straight playoff seasons.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin is horrible with clock management. I thought we had at least a chance for a FG when we had ~26 seconds left at mid field with 2 time outs, but nope didn't even try.
Reply/Quote
This is an area I would like to see Dalton take control of (managing time outs, in the two minute drill). Marvin obviously isn't good at it. Dalton should take it upon himself.
Reply/Quote
Marvin was horrible at challenges up until like 2013, I guess they got a new guy in the booth to take over when to challenge because we've improved - a lot - these past couple seasons with them.

Perhaps they can get the same guy a cattle prod to stick in Marvin's pocket to prompt Marv to call timeout ?
Reply/Quote
1. Using time outs is not poor "clock management". There are many good reasons to use a timeout other than to stop the clock in the final minute of a half.

2. Deciding not to risk trying to score at the end of a half is not poor "clock management". It is a tactical decision.

The only time I can really complain about poor clock management is when there is actually poor clock management. Marvin may have been guilty of that a few times, but it is not a serious problem. In fact I can not remember that last time it really hurt us.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 06:55 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: week 2 and 3 His end of first half reasoning was just terrible with favorable field position .

Sunday we got the ball at our own 40 with only 30 seconds left.  We took a shot downfield, but it was incomplete.

that was not "favorable field position", and I don't know what you would have wanted him to do instead.
Reply/Quote
I've been happy this year that Marvin hasn't OVERANALYZED clock management.

When we were driving for our final touchdown last week, I was stoked that we threw the TD to take the lead  with 1:46 remaining. Old Marvin may have tried to ween that clock down and then score with as little time left on the clock, putting the pressure on OUR players instead of putting the pressure on Flacco and company.

In the past it seems like he is resistant to score quickly in situations like that.

You could make the case for running a few times and then throwing, but it gave me relief when we scored, as did the rest of the team i'm sure. If the Ravens scored to win the game on the last drive, I may be singing a different tune.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 08:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sunday we got the ball at our own 40 with only 30 seconds left.  We took a shot downfield, but it was incomplete.

that was not "favorable field position", and I don't know what you would have wanted him to do instead.

To try and put points on the board. He could have had a few plays where they took shots in the middle of the field, because they would be playing prevent defense. Took a time out when there's 2-3 seconds left and take a shot at a FG to put points on the board. If he doesn't make the field goal. Oh well! Guess what? There's no time left for them to make a play.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 08:34 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: To try and put points on the board. He could have had a few plays where they took shots in the middle of the field, because they would be playing prevent defense. Took a time out when there's 2-3 seconds left and take a shot at a FG to put points on the board. If he doesn't make the field goal. Oh well! Guess what? There's no time left for them to make a play.

I don't think many people realize this, but when a team goes into "hurry up" mode the percentage of interceptions and other mistakes increase. When you rush things you make more mistakes.

The chances of throwing an interception also increases when the defense has most of its players in coverage instead of playing the run.

So while there may have been a slim chance of gaining 30 yards in 30 seconds there was also an increased chance of throwing a pick.

And I can pretty much guarantee that if Marvin had tried to push it down the field to get a fg and Dalton threw a pick six most people here would be calling Marvin stupid for doing that when his team was ahead and controlling the game.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 08:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think many people realize this, but when a team goes into "hurry up" mode the percentage of interceptions and other mistakes increase.  When you rush things you make more mistakes.

The chances of throwing an interception also increases when the defense has most of its players in coverage instead of playing the run.

So while there may have been a slim chance of gaining 30 yards in 30 seconds there was also an increased chance of throwing a pick.

And I can pretty much guarantee that if Marvin had tried to push it down the field to get a fg and Dalton threw a pick six most people here would be calling Marvin stupid for doing that when his team was ahead and controlling the game.

No doubt there is risk but they had plenty of time to throw a couple more passes to get into fg range.  They had like 25 seconds left with the ball around the 50 if I remember, with 2 timeouts.  They let 15 or so seconds drain from the clock and then called a timeout.  Why not take the time out at 25 seconds then run the safe draw to see if you can spring another 10 or 15 yards, getting into fg range?  It was pointless going into halftime with timeouts in their pocket with that field position.

If you think Brady and Belicheat would have followed the same path you're completely crazy.

I've heard Mo Eggar time and time again that he would volunteer to be Marvin's Director of Common Sense.  Had Mo (or anyone else with any common sense) been besides Marvin we may have gone into halftime with a 17 point lead.  Gotta keep the foot on the gas all the time, you can't play fearing the worse - trust your team.  And that's exactly what they did in the 3rd quarter after the first drive, they completely went away with what they had success with and played not to lose.  Only when they had to kick it back into gear did they get Baltimore back on their heals.  Maddening...
Reply/Quote
The end of the first half was simply bad clock management. No two ways about it.

They got the ball with 33 seconds to go, and got to the 50 on that play with Gio. They had 2 timeouts at this point, but chose to let the clock run down to the 11 when they ran the next play in which case they used a timeout just after that incompletion with 6 seconds to go, leaving them with 1. At this point it didnt matter as the most important seconds to save were already spent, and they were still at the 50.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 10:19 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The end of the first half was simply bad clock management. No two ways about it.

They got the ball with 33 seconds to go, and got to the 50 on that play with Gio. They had 2 timeouts at this point, but chose to let the clock run down to the 11 when they ran the next play in which case they used a timeout just after that incompletion with 6 seconds to go, leaving them with 1. At this point it didnt matter as the most important seconds to save were already spent, and they were still at the 50.

Right on !

It is however one of the very few times this season the team has seemed indecisive and all out of sorts. Either you go for it there and use your timeouts or you burn the clock. They seemd to be somewhere in the middle.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 09:09 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: If you think Brady and Belicheat would have followed the same path you're completely crazy.

I have seen them do it.  I have seen every team in the league do it.

Your claim that every team goes into hurry up mode to try and score at the end of the half just is not true.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 09:09 PM)Daddy-O Wrote:  Had Mo (or anyone else with any common sense) been besides Marvin we may have gone into halftime with a 17 point lead.  Gotta keep the foot on the gas all the time, you can't play fearing the worse - trust your team.  And that's exactly what they did in the 3rd quarter after the first drive, they completely went away with what they had success with and played not to lose.  Only when they had to kick it back into gear did they get Baltimore back on their heals.  Maddening...

Or we could have gone into halftime with a 3 point lead.

And we didn't change anything after the first drive of the third quarter.  On our second drive we threw on first down but then could not convert on runs which is exactly what we had been doing all day.  How can you possibly say they "went away from what they had had success with" when they were doing exactly what they had done all game?
Reply/Quote
No we can only hope someone else on the sideline or in the coaches box takes over that portion of the game and relay down to "Chuckles" what to do.

Whats that old saying...You can't teach an old dog new tricks?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 06:55 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Week 1  He used up all his timeouts like they were candy against Raiders.
week 2 and 3 His end of first half reasoning was just terrible with favorable field position . Yes we had a lead in both games but leaving potential points on the board is a recipe for disaster.

Its not all on Marvin.... Some of its on Hue and Andy not getting plays right or in on time.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 10:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have seen them do it.  I have seen every team in the league do it.

Your claim that every team goes into hurry up mode to try and score at the end of the half just is not true.

Of course not every team goes into hurry up mode prior to the half, it's situational.  It would have been different on the 10 or 20 yard line but they were on the 40 with 30+ seconds.  

Guarantee Marvin would do it differently if presented a do-over.  It was a piss poor clock management, no doubt about it.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 07:08 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: No. He's been here for 43 years. If it hasn't happened by now, it ain't gonna.

^ This
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote