Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Miss Jose Iglesias
Reds just let Orioles get the best defensive shortstop since Ozzie Smith. His 275 lifetime batting average brought clutch hits all 2019 including grand slams. Just watched his 2019 highlights on YouTube. Galvis might hit better, we will see, but no way he will be better on defense than Iglesias. Watch his 2019 highlights on Youtube and hear Reds announcers Amazed and in disbelief of what he did on defense. They liked his hitting also.

Galvis better be good because we just gave Orioles the best defensive shortstop in baseball, which made our pitching look better.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
They got him for $3 million.

I thought the reason we kept Galvis was that he was cheap at $5 million.

Orioles just got a great deal.
Reply/Quote
I don't understand this move at all !

Galvis at SS over Iggy, for what ?

If you have a very top end defender at SS who is also a decent bat you are elated ! Galvis isn't half the defender Iggy is and hits a few more HR's. For 2 million more dollars. It's a head scratcher
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Oh c'mon.. Everyone knows Galvis is destined to be a first ballot HOFer on the first day he retires from MLB.. The Reds will trade him for Homer Bailey and Bailey will throw back to back to back to back no-hitters then switch to first base to replace Votto and be a first ballot HOFer at first base. There! Now you know the future. Go out and become a gazillionaire based on my personal predictions. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 01:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: Oh c'mon.. Everyone knows Galvis is destined to be a first ballot HOFer on the first day he retires from MLB.. The Reds will trade him for Homer Bailey and Bailey will throw back to back to back to back no-hitters then switch to first base to replace Votto and be a first ballot HOFer at first base. There! Now you know the future. Go out and become a gazillionaire based on my personal predictions. ThumbsUp

Is Paul O'neill really coming back as our closer too ?  that's the gossip Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 01:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Is Paul O'neill really coming back as our closer too ?  that's the gossip Ninja

Nah..the ghost of Joe Nuxall will be the new closer.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
While I think it was likely a mistake letting Iglesias go the truth is nobody knows how his season will go this year nor do we know if he would have continued playing at the same level as last year. We can pretend to be able to see into the future, but until someone is able to demonstrate that ability and sustain it for longer than a few days I'm going to assume we just don't have the ability to see into the future very well. 
For all we know Iglesias may just fall off the cliff to baseball purgatory like Zack did. On the other hand he might become the greatest SS in single season history with Baltimore.  Ya just never know. 
What struck me is last year he was quoted as saying he wanted to remain in Cincinnati, but he also fired his former agent over presumably that last minor league deal with the Reds. I think he was looking for a significant increase in pay, much more than the Reds were willing to part with and when the Reds balked he wound up having to settle for what he could get in Baltimore..at least that's my assumption.. it could have been entirely different. 
As fans we're not privy to whatever the dealings were with his agent and the Reds unless they make it all public and I doubt that's gonna happen after the fact. 

Reply/Quote
Iggy is good, but Galvis isn’t far behind:
For 2019 OAA (Outs Above Average) among all SS:
7. Iggy with an 11
8. Galvis with an 8

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/infield-defense?year=2019&team=&range=year&min=10&pos=6&roles=64,62,60,61&viz=show

With some new metrics taking in to account the shift:
“ Examples of infielders OAA grades out more highly

Freddy Galvis // +12 OAA, vs -2 DRS and -1.3 UZR
Justin Turner // +4 OAA, vs -7 DRS and -6.8 UZR
Carlos Correa // +9 OAA, vs +1 DRS and +0.1 UZR
Hunter Dozier // 0 OAA, vs -15 DRS and -5.3 UZR

Galvis is an "outstanding defensive shortstop," Reds manager David Bell said in August, so his position here is nice to see.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/statcast-introduces-outs-above-average-for-infield-defense
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 05:42 PM)grampahol Wrote: Nah..the ghost of Joe Nuxall will be the new closer.. 

"And here's the old Left Hander, rounding 3rd and heading for home."  I listened to he and Marty call the games when I was a kid, with a transistor radio under my pillow, so that my father wouldn't know I was awake.  Then, it was such a joy to operate the radio boards for Reds games, in my first job in Radio.  Definitely one of my favorite radio personalities of all time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 07:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: "And here's the old Left Hander, rounding 3rd and heading for home."  I listened to he and Marty call the games when I was a kid, with a transistor radio under my pillow, so that my father wouldn't know I was awake.  Then, it was such a joy to operate the radio boards for Reds games, in my first job in Radio.  Definitely one of my favorite radio personalities of all time.

I remember those hot summer nights in mid 70's be like 10oclock local time when they were playing on the west coast. Only sounds in the house were all the fans running (we didn't have AC then) and Marty and Joe on the radio.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 08:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I remember those hot summer nights in mid 70's be like 10oclock local time when they were playing on the west coast. Only sounds in the house were all the fans running (we didn't have AC then) and Marty and Joe on the radio.

What's even better, is that when I was in college, my first job in Radio was getting paid to listen to the Reds games.   ThumbsUp

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Shortstop is our weakest position on our team at this point. We wouldn't have been much better with Iglesias, but he would have been an upgrade over Galvis.

I personally still hope they decide that Senzel can play SS, since that would sure up our weakest offensive spot, leaving Catcher as the lone position that won't offer 1 offensive win above replacement in theory.

But I know that's a pipe dream at this point haha. Galvis is 99% our starting SS and he will play at approximately a 0.5 to 1.0 offensive WAR. Hopefully, the rest of the offense will carry him.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 07:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: "And here's the old Left Hander, rounding 3rd and heading for home."  I listened to he and Marty call the games when I was a kid, with a transistor radio under my pillow, so that my father wouldn't know I was awake.  Then, it was such a joy to operate the radio boards for Reds games, in my first job in Radio.  Definitely one of my favorite radio personalities of all time.

I miss The Star of the Game Show with Joe.. He had infinite patience with Spanish speaking players when they were on even from other teams when the Reds lost. He gave everyone their props no matter who won the game. Sometimes I couldn't understand a word they said and I'm sure Joe didn't either sometimes, but it was still among the best of baseball broadcasting IMO..

Reply/Quote