Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Tez play this season? (Coley Harvey)
BengalsMessageBoard @TheBengalsBoard
@ColeyHarvey If you had to place a percentage on the chances of Vontaze playing this year, would it be over or under 50%?

@ColeyHarvey. Salutations to the folks on the "new" Bengals Message Board. Now, to answer your question. I have to say I'm not good with percentages, and I'm really not good with them when it concerns players and injuries. So, that said, will we see Vontaze Burfict playing this season? At this stage, that's anyone's guess, including Burfict's and the Bengals'. The Pro Bowl linebacker still is undergoing rehab from the microfracture surgery he had on his left knee back in January. While we caught a glimpse of him going through some of his rehab drills on the first open day of organized team activities (OTAs) nearly a month ago, he hasn't been training in front of reporters since. Based off what I'm hearing, I would be surprised if we see him do much to the side during his week's mandatory minicamp, too. Training camp might be the time we have a better answer about where Burfict's chances of playing this season are.

I will say, microfracture surgery is a very serious one. It's had a number of success stories, but it has been littered with its failures, too. It is not easy to come back from. As long as Burfict has been taking his treatment patiently and maintains the hungry attitude that got him in the league in the first place, he should be on the field at some point this season. Will it be at the beginning of the season? Maybe not. But if he does those things, he'll play again. Then the question will be, can he get back to his old Pro Bowl form?

Read the rest of the mailbag on ESPN
Reply/Quote
I imagine he plays if we're in a position were we have a chance to be in the playoffs but if were not I imagine he sits.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I just hope he/they don't rush it to much. I'd love to see him back, playing a little smarter but still with the fire !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 03:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just hope he/they don't rush it to much. I'd love to see him back, playing a little smarter but still with the fire !

Same here. 

Really hoping that the knee does well and he can get back on the field at some point this year, but I also still have concerns about the concussions.
Reply/Quote
Have to act as if he won't play and set up your defense so it can function without him. This is what they're doing now since he can't practice. This beats having to do it on the fly last year after losing him during the season.

I would think not having him won't be as much of a blow with all this time to prepare for it.

All the tackles are great but his presence on the field means so much more than just the number of tackles.

I believe he is in the lineup from day one.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 04:27 PM)McC Wrote: Have to act as if he won't play and set up your defense so it can function without him.  This is what they're doing now since he can't practice.  This beats having to do it on the fly last year after losing him during the season.

I would think not having him won't be as much of a blow with all this time to prepare for it.

All the tackles are great but his presence on the field means so much more than just the number of tackles.

Have to believe you're right.  They're preparing to play without him with Hawk coming in, and drafting Dawson.  And I hope you're right and he's there, at 100%, on day one.  Training camp will tell us a lot.  Maybe.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 04:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Have to believe you're right.  They're preparing to play without him with Hawk coming in, and drafting Dawson.  And I hope you're right and he's there, at 100%, on day one.  Training camp will tell us a lot.  Maybe.

I'm probably being more hopeful than realistic, but that's alright.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
My joking side says this is in direct relation to me buying his jersey last year.

My serious side says I hope he does play, but we've had some terrible luck with LBs over the years. They must have had some optimism though as they really didn't make any major plays for LB in FA or the draft that would have been different that having Tez available. You can argue Hawk and Dawson being the plan, but that needed to happen anyway IMO.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 04:27 PM)McC Wrote: Have to act as if he won't play and set up your defense so it can function without him.  This is what they're doing now since he can't practice.  This beats having to do it on the fly last year after losing him during the season.

I expect the starting three to be Maualuga, Dawson, and either Lamur or Hawk (likely Lamur to start).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
In all honesty, if he's not able to be his normal self, I'd rather have him sit and not hamper the defense. Let a less talented person play who's 100%.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 01:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I expect the starting three to be Maualuga, Dawson, and either Lamur or Hawk (likely Lamur to start).

What I expect is Lamur, Maualuga and Hawk.

What I'm hoping is Hawk, Mauluga and Dawson...   or Dawson, Maualuga and Hawk.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 04:15 PM)3wt Wrote: What I expect is Lamur, Maualuga and Hawk.

What I'm hoping is Hawk, Mauluga and Dawson...   or Dawson, Maualuga and Hawk.

You're expectation is probably correct.  As for your hope, I guess we will see when camp gets under way.

I don't exactly recall who was available in FA at LB, but it sure looks like we shoulda gotten a little more aggressive than a questionable AJ Hawk.....or maybe looked earlier in the draft instead of two OL......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I realize this comes from Goebbels himself and should be taken with a grain of salt, but there is this--

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Big-time-campers/4d73ad22-f153-4551-9c06-463faa8607f3

Pro Bowl WILL linebacker Vontaze Burfict probably won’t be there that first day of camp, which has yet to be set, but defensive coordinator Paul Guenther is banking on his leader to be there for the opener in Oakland. Taped on the wall above Guenther’s desk are a couple of sheets stapled together called, “The Burfict Plan,’ which culminates with him playing Sept. 13 against the Raiders as he comes back from January’s micro fracture knee surgery.

The plan calls for Burfict to be back in time to play a pre-season game or two in preparation for the regular season. That’s an optimistic sign because if he practices just once, he’s not allowed to go on the physically unable to perform list (PUP), which would keep him off the practice field for the first six weeks of the regular season.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 03:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just hope he/they don't rush it to much. I'd love to see him back, playing a little smarter but still with the fire !

if the time table doesnt look like the PuP will do it..

Maybe a canidate for the IR/Return list.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 10:19 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: You're expectation is probably correct.  As for your hope, I guess we will see when camp gets under way.

I don't exactly recall who was available in FA at LB, but it sure looks like we shoulda gotten a little more aggressive than a questionable AJ Hawk.....or maybe looked earlier in the draft instead of two OL......

We picked up the Best 4-3 OLB in the draft where we picked him? why draft him earlier?
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 11:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: We picked up the Best 4-3 OLB in the draft where we picked him?  why draft him earlier?

That orange koolaid must taste reaaaaaal good.

In which universe did we get "the best 4-3 OLB in the draft"??
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 12:15 PM)djs7685 Wrote: That orange koolaid must taste reaaaaaal good.

In which universe did we get "the best 4-3 OLB in the draft"??

Who would you think was the best 4-3 OLB in the draft then? Personally I think Dawson was one of the best if not the best 4-3 OLB in the draft. Eric Kendricks is the only LB I think could be better than Dawson, but if I had to choose one it would be Dawson.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 12:19 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Who would you think was the best 4-3 OLB in the draft then? Personally I think Dawson was one of the best if not the best 4-3 OLB in the draft. Eric Kendricks is the only LB I think could be better than Dawson, but if I had to choose one it would be Dawson.

I'm honestly not sure myself, but I never heard anywhere that Dawson was the best 4-3 OLB in the draft.

Other than Bengals' fans saying it after he was drafted, I don't think there is any sort of consensus to back up that claim.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 12:32 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I'm honestly not sure myself, but I never heard anywhere that Dawson was the best 4-3 OLB in the draft.

Other than Bengals' fans saying it after he was drafted, I don't think there is any sort of consensus to back up that claim.

I think Mike Mayock ranked him at #1 in one of his player rankings.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 12:34 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think Mike Mayock ranked him at #1 in one of his player rankings.

That's pretty cool then. I mean, I really liked the pickup from everything I've heard about the guy. I haven't watched tons of college ball recently so I'm not really the most informed in draft discussions. I just go by what I hear from everybody online and from my friends, and I never heard that about Dawson until miraculously he's now the best 4-3 OLB after he's in stripes.

It seems to happen every year with at least a few players that the Bengals end up drafting. I don't hear anything about them pre-draft, then after we take them, "PlayerX is the best at his position! We got him as a steal in the 5th round!" and "PlayerY was actually the #1 player on the Bengals board overall in the whole draft, they just knew nobody else would take him so they could grab him in the 7th!"

A bit exaggerated, but yeah, I always hear about how great these guys are after being picked and they're always guys I didn't see a lot of talk about before the draft by Bengals' fans.
Reply/Quote