Poll: What Approach Will Mike Brown Take For Next Head Coach?
The Comfort Route
Search For The Best Coach Available
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will The Choice Be Comfort?
Lets say for arguments sake Marvin Lewis decides to leave after this season concludes. Do you think Mike Brown will look for the best coach possible to become the new head coach for Cincy or do you think he will go the comfort route? Going after a Hue Jackson because of the relationship he has already established and knows what he will be dealing with.

I personally think he will go the comfort route and hire Hue Jackson regardless of who else is out there.

So hypothetically speaking, what do you think? Will Mike go after a coach that will be the best thing to get the Bengals to that next level, OR will he go with the comfort choice and hire someone he knows and what to expect?
Reply/Quote
Do you really have to ask? Ofc it’ll be Hue.

WR coach
Secondary assistant & ST coach
RB coach
OC
Special assistant to the HC
HC

Wonder if that’ll be a record for most jobs held by one person for the same team?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
But but but... WHAT IF both Marv and Hue run away together deeply deeply in love with each other and decide to join the circus instead?
THEN WHAT? 
We'd obviously have to bring back Paul Alexander to take over the reigns to stabilize the team and get us back on the winning track ! 

No? Oh c'mon.. You know that would be the most likely scenario .
I'm almost surprised someone hasn't suggested naming Carson Palmer as our new head coach..
Reply/Quote
I am one of the only "Marv Haters" that understands why he was retained several times when it looked like he was going to be jettisoned. The timing of the Bengals and their strong HC candidates to replace Marv (Zimmer, Gruden, Hue) was amazing. Each time, they thought they had things set up to have Marv's replacement and each time the assistant got a better deal somewhere else...or at least a situation that was more appealing.

I do think they will do an exhaustive search for the new HC as the bleachers have been largely empty. That is the agent of change here.

I just hope that they can find a real innovator that brings a fun, aggressive brand of football to Cincinnati. This is my team, and I can barely stand to watch them play. I also hope they don't take the easy route and keep a certain number of coaches. Start from scratch, and let the new coach bring in his own people and see how it goes.
Reply/Quote
Hue should be OC if he just HAS to be here. Marvin DC if he just HAS to be here.

Reply/Quote
I voted comfort route. Not that I hope it goes this way but because I fear it going this way.

Reply/Quote
Of course it will be the "comfort route". We can't look for anything new and shiny with MB at the helm.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Mike will hire he who thinks most like Mike....And the cycle continues.
Reply/Quote
This is Mike Brown, he has a comfort wall built around him 1,000 feet high. If anything happens at all, which I have my doubts ? It will be Hue to HC or someone affiliated, Jay Gruden or somebody with ties.
Reply/Quote
Hope they’re cool with 15,000 people in the stadium if it’s Hue. (They probably are.)
Reply/Quote
[Image: tenor.gif]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 10:48 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Hope they’re cool with 15,000 people in the stadium if it’s Hue. (They probably are.)

There were countless similar sentiments last year after Marv was brought back, yet the fans still bought far too many tickets to show they were “pissed of and done with the team” Whatever
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 11:32 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: There were countless similar sentiments last year after Marv was brought back, yet the fans still bought far too many tickets to show they were “pissed of and done with the team” Whatever

If people buy tickets for Hue Jackson’s Bengals they’re complicit. This includes my father who has had tickets since ‘86.
Reply/Quote
If you have listened to MB offseason and early season pressers, he mentions the word "comfortable" about a million times. He doesn't get it, these players need a new direction and sometimes being uncomfortable is a great motivator..
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 11:59 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: If people buy tickets for Hue Jackson’s Bengals they’re complicit. This includes my father who has had tickets since ‘86.

He'll be complicit if he gets them then, cause it WILL BE Hue Jackson next season, IF Merv decides to leave.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 04:37 AM)GodFather Wrote: Lets say for arguments sake Marvin Lewis decides to leave after this season concludes. Do you think Mike Brown will look for the best coach possible to become the new head coach for Cincy or do you think he will go the comfort route? Going after a Hue Jackson because of the relationship he has already established and knows what he will be dealing with.

I personally think he will go the comfort route and hire Hue Jackson regardless of who else is out there.

So hypothetically speaking, what do you think? Will Mike go after a coach that will be the best thing to get the Bengals to that next level, OR will he go with the comfort choice and hire someone he knows and what to expect?

Marvin pressured Mike to put the succession plan to Hue in writing before Hue took the Cleveland job, and Mike refused . Marvin desperately wants Hue to get the job, but if Mikey wasn't sold on Hue pre-Cleveland, there's no way he's sold now.  Hue will get an interview, both to placate Marv and the Rooney Rule, but I don't see him getting the job.  
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 02:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: Marvin pressured Mike to put the succession plan to Hue in writing before Hue took the Cleveland job, and Mike refused . Marvin desperately wants Hue to get the job, but if Mikey wasn't sold on Hue pre-Cleveland, there's no way he's sold now.  Hue will get an interview, both to placate Marv and the Rooney Rule, but I don't see him getting the job.  

I feel the opposite.....Mikey loves him some comfort zone, and "continuity", who better to fit that mold than good ol' Hue?  Why the hell did Mikey even let Merv hire him if there wasn't some kind of potential for this very thing?  It's gon' be Hue, IF Merv decides he's had enough.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 03:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: I feel the opposite.....Mikey loves him some comfort zone, and "continuity", who better to fit that mold than good ol' Hue?  Why the hell did Mikey even let Merv hire him if there wasn't some kind of potential for this very thing?  It's gon' be Hue, IF Merv decides he's had enough.

Stop it!   Smack
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 03:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: I feel the opposite.....Mikey loves him some comfort zone, and "continuity", who better to fit that mold than good ol' Hue?  Why the hell did Mikey even let Merv hire him if there wasn't some kind of potential for this very thing?  It's gon' be Hue, IF Merv decides he's had enough.

If Mikey didn't hire Hue, he'd get killed for "not letting the HC have full control of his staff.". Most potential candidates for the Bengals HC gig are going to talk to Marv, just like Marv talked to LeBeau.  Not letting Dumb reunite with Dumber reinforces the "meddling owner" image.

In any case, Mike will probably defer to who Katie and Troy want.  I can't see Duke pounding the desk for Hue, either.
Reply/Quote
Hue Jackson or Marvin Lewis are the two most likely candidates who will continue to tolerate Mike Brown performing his General Manager/Owner duties the way he has been for almost the last 30 years.

This really has nothing to do with Hue Jackson or Marvin Lewis and everything to do with Mike Brown. He's too old and stubborn to change and next year he'll prove it once again.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote