Poll: What Approach Will Mike Brown Take For Next Head Coach?
The Comfort Route
Search For The Best Coach Available
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will The Choice Be Comfort?
(12-11-2018, 04:23 PM)Whatever Wrote: If Mikey didn't hire Hue, he'd get killed for "not letting the HC have full control of his staff.". Most potential candidates for the Bengals HC gig are going to talk to Marv, just like Marv talked to LeBeau.  Not letting Dumb reunite with Dumber reinforces the "meddling owner" image.

In any case, Mike will probably defer to who Katie and Troy want.  I can't see Duke pounding the desk for Hue, either.

I just see this:

(12-11-2018, 04:36 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Hue Jackson or Marvin Lewis are the two most likely candidates who will continue to tolerate Mike Brown performing his General Manager/Owner duties the way he has been for almost the last 30 years.  

This really has nothing to do with Hue Jackson or Marvin Lewis and everything to do with Mike Brown.  He's too old and stubborn to change and next year he'll prove it once again.

We've seen this damn circus for far too long....if Son of Paul has any say whatsoever anymore, it will be one of those two.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I do think comfort level is a huge part of it with Mike, along with loyalty and fear of change...which is a really bad recipe for a professional sports owner where change is inevitable at some point, especially if what you're doing isn't working.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 05:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: I just see this:

We've seen this damn circus for far too long....if Son of Paul has any say whatsoever anymore, it will be one of those two.

I'd say there's a 50% chance Marvin comes back.  If he doesn't, it's more than likely because he retired.  I remember him saying a while back that he wanted to keep coaching until his son got a foothold in the league and his son quit this year.  I will say it's a bit strange that they did not hire a new DC when they canned Austin since they hired Lazor when they canned Zampese.  If Marvin returns, it will obviously be with Mike's blessing, as he would have to pick up Marvin's option.  If Marvin doesn't return, I think Mikey will likely do what Katie and Troy want, as long as Duke isn't vehemently opposed.
Reply/Quote
Mike (knocking on Hue's door): Hey, Hue. Got a minute? Merv just tendered his resignation. By gum, after only 16 years I just did not see that coming. I haven't felt this off-balance since I fell off that trolley at the Polo Grounds. Anyway, let's grab some Wendy's and talk about your future. You drive, the Lumina's in for its 350,000 mile check-up. Oh, wait, I think I have a coupon back in my desk. Small vanilla Frostys don't grown on trees, you know.

Hue (muttering): Jesus, maybe if I just apologize to Dorsey....
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Let's go back to 2003. Hiring Marvin Lewis was totally out of the box thinking for the Front Office -- but the comfort factor remained. Unfortunately, so did Paul Alexander and a lot of other leftover scrub coaches from pre-2003. That was the Front Office's way of maintaining control even when Marvin Lewis was given the chance to hire some of his own coordinators.

If Marvin does leave after 2018, I think Hue Jackson will become offensive coordinator with Bill Lazor being promoted to head coach. This means the Front Office wants to stick with familiar faces and not reach out into the unknown. The defensive coordinator will be Jim Haslett because promoting from within is also comfortable.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 11:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let's go back to 2003.  Hiring Marvin Lewis was totally out of the box thinking for the Front Office -- but the comfort factor remained.  Unfortunately, so did Paul Alexander and a lot of other leftover scrub coaches from pre-2003.  That was the Front Office's way of maintaining control even when Marvin Lewis was given the chance to hire some of his own coordinators.

If Marvin does leave after 2018, I think Hue Jackson will become offensive coordinator with Bill Lazor being promoted to head coach.  This means the Front Office wants to stick with familiar faces and not reach out into the unknown.  The defensive coordinator will be Jim Haslett because promoting from within is also comfortable.

If that happens you will be lucky to see a 3 win season..
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 11:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let's go back to 2003.  Hiring Marvin Lewis was totally out of the box thinking for the Front Office -- but the comfort factor remained.  Unfortunately, so did Paul Alexander and a lot of other leftover scrub coaches from pre-2003.  That was the Front Office's way of maintaining control even when Marvin Lewis was given the chance to hire some of his own coordinators.

If Marvin does leave after 2018, I think Hue Jackson will become offensive coordinator with Bill Lazor being promoted to head coach.  This means the Front Office wants to stick with familiar faces and not reach out into the unknown.  The defensive coordinator will be Jim Haslett because promoting from within is also comfortable.

Thanks a lot.  The very thought of these things cost me my breakfast.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Hard to say if the holdovers, particularly on offense, were Mike or Marv.  For whatever reason, during Marvin's tenure, offensive coaches have had longer leashes than defensive ones.  Austin got nowhere near the leash Zampese got, for example.  Particularly with the coordinator positions, they tend to hire from outside more for DC and promote from within for OC.  Could just be that Marvin doesn't have the comfort level with the offense to make wholesale changes 
Reply/Quote