Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will The New Coaches Help Marvin At All?
And I mean with things like game planning and clock management.

Will the new coaches put in their two cents more than just being "yes men" in game planning and will they do things like tell Marvin when they think he should do things like call timeout or challenge plays?

Marvin seems to be going all-in during these last two seasons, so will he open himself up more to advice from assistant coaches? Will they have the balls to give it?
Reply/Quote
Unquestionably yes, if they are serious about winning. Constructive criticism is key to growth. But then again, it's Marvin so it doesn't mean he will listen. To blindly follow the leader without questioning when things go wrong is cowardly and unproductive.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can't see Marvin as being some staunch leader that scares people into not offering their opinion. If I had to choose he seems more on the dumb, stubborn, nice side. If we have a stubborn coordinator that will break the normal path marvin tries to lay, that would help - and giving more responsibility to Dalton for calling plays and living with the results. Everyone should be responsible for their actions, but rarely is that effectively enacted.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 11:52 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I can't see Marvin as being some staunch leader that scares people into not offering their opinion. If I had to choose he seems more on the dumb, stubborn, nice side. If we have a stubborn coordinator that will break the normal path marvin tries to lay, that would help - and giving more responsibility to Dalton for calling plays and living with the results. Everyone should be responsible for their actions, but rarely is that effectively enacted.

Totally agree. Everyone has a job to do and should be held accountable. Hasn't always been the case here but that's the way it should always work.

Reply/Quote
If the players "buy in" it will.

Which I believe they will buy in 100%. Just think they want to win as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Marv has swapped out coaches in the past and nothing changed, I don't know why people are falling for this all over again.
Reply/Quote
Thirsty for the Kool-Aid.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 11:52 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I can't see Marvin as being some staunch leader that scares people into not offering their opinion. If I had to choose he seems more on the dumb, stubborn, nice side. If we have a stubborn coordinator that will break the normal path marvin tries to lay, that would help - and giving more responsibility to Dalton for calling plays and living with the results. Everyone should be responsible for their actions, but rarely is that effectively enacted.

+1. This is really well-reasoned. I think Frank Pollack and Teryl Austin have strong personalities which should help. Personally, I think Mike Zimmer made Marvin Lewis a better coach.
Reply/Quote
Marv doesn't believe in half time adjustments (it's journalistic jargon to him ).
He is set in his ways as much as Mike Brown is,so I don't think ML thinks personal help is needed.
He just thinks the players need to play better,harder,smarter, etc.
I could be wrong, time will tell.
Reply/Quote
In the past and to a lesser degree now there was always some rusty old link in the chain that had been around WAY too long.
The worst culprit (at least among position coaches) is finally gone so who knows? 
I can't blame anyone for being skeptical because after all there is a history that isn't going away ..but on the other hand they are the Bengals and we don't just come here for nothing except to complain about Marvin.. Do we?  Nervous
Nah..C'mon.. Take a freakin chance!  Don't call yourself a Bengals fan and at not at least pretend that you have a shred of optimism that by golly..we gonna finally win the big games when they matter. Make pretend is fun sometimes and every now and then lightning actually does land right inside the bottle.. Let's just pretend that the bottle doesn't melt from the intense heat..
As long as we don't have to hear how athletic our worse players are I'm willing to guzzle down as much koolaid as necessary to get to that imaginary Bengal nirvana that has always melted the imaginary lightning receptacle..
As far as journalistic jargon..well..The league and its many alleged journalists have made fortunes with jargon.. That's not going away any time soon..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 02:08 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: Marv doesn't believe in half time adjustments (it's journalistic jargon to him ).

Marvin believes in in-game adjustments as much as any coach.  He just doesn't think it is all about play-calling.
Reply/Quote
Marvin, like most HC's not named Belichick, is only as good as his coaches. If this new group of coaches is better than the last, Marvin will be better, provided he lets them do their jobs.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Would Titanic still have sunk, even though they rearranged the chairs? Same Captain, same result.
Reply/Quote
There will be nobody left to blame if Marvin did hand pick entire new staff.

Clock management can not get any worse at least. Maybe one of them gets it and it improves.

Hope Marvin pulls it off actually and takes it all the to the SB.

But not believing before witnessing it though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 02:45 PM)Go Cards Wrote: There will be nobody left to blame if Marvin did hand pick entire new staff.

Clock management can not get any worse at least. Maybe one of them gets it and it improves.

Hope Marvin pulls it off actually and takes it all the to the SB.

But not believing before witnessing it though.

This is the critical point in all this.  This is go for broke, sink or swim.  In other words, the only way to ever get rid of Marv.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote