Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Tobin and Taylor be able to be on the same page with roster?
This is really new ground for Duke Tobin. For the last umpenth seasons Tobin has known one HC in Lewis.
This is new ground for Zac Taylor on many levels.
Sesing eye to eye in interview process and then trying to upgrade the roster is night and day.
look at the Cardinals. Steve Wilks one and done.

for the moment it appears they are sold on Dalton for THIE YEAR.
its safe to assume the Bengals 11th pick of the draft Taylor and Tobin ABSOLUTELY have to be in concert with it
and I believe will go along way in determiing Taylors tenure hear.

I know Taylor was with a Rams franchise that he saw aggressively sign free agents and make trades that really helped
the Rams get to the Super Bowl.
Im curious to see if Taylor brings that up on tbe erase board with Tobin.

Anybody care to figure how how much say so Taylor on the makeup of the roster?
Reply/Quote
I'll give you a serious answer. No one knows.

There was speculation when we started making the playoffs that Marvin was calling the shots. That Katie was. That Tobin was.

Then we started losing. Marvin goes. MB isn't on the search and people are all speculating that NOW Katie is officially in charge.

The Bengals tend to hide how they are managed.

Marvin was never really allowed to go out and add Tier A free agents. We may land a Tier B free agent or two.

The draft - Really don't see it changing much as we haven't added more scouts. I'm sure Taylor will lobby for people. They'll get some. Some will be picked by other people. Much like Marvin didn't want Ross.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 02:24 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This is really new ground for Duke Tobin. For the last umpenth seasons Tobin has known one HC in Lewis.
Sesing eye to eye in interview process and then trying to upgrade the roster is night and day.

its safe to assume the Bengals 11th pick of the draft Taylor and Tobin ABSOLUTELY have to be in concert with it

I know Taylor was with a Rams franchise that he saw aggressively sign free agents and make trades that really helped

We will see, but evidently they got along great in the interviewing process for Taylor to be the man from the get go.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 02:24 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This is really new ground for Duke Tobin. For the last umpenth seasons Tobin has known one HC in Lewis.

You might be right in entering into free agency for Rams being aggressive but not that successful overall when you look at players etc

They had two good semi expensive signings in Suh and Whitworth.   Woods had a nice year this year but look at his stats for the year they signed him for 7 mil  nothing special at all.  Last two years these signings are not with team.. Barwin, Webster corner, Dunbar Rb Walker.  Wilson LB and Shields CB did very little.  So unless I missed someone they did nice with Whitworth and Suh.. and their Zuerlien kicker.. Woods for 7 million is ok.. but they cut or below avg. production out of like 5 FA players
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 06:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You might be right in entering into free agency for Rams being aggressive but not that successful overall when you look at players etc

They had two good semi expensive signings in Suh and Whitworth.   Woods had a nice year this year but look at his stats for the year they signed him for 7 mil  nothing special at all.  Last two years these signings are not with team.. Barwin, Webster corner, Dunbar Rb Walker.  Wilson LB and Shields CB did very little.  So unless I missed someone they did nice with Whitworth and Suh.. and their Zuerlien kicker.. Woods for 7 million is ok.. but they cut or below avg. production out of like 5 FA players

They brought in Sammy Watkins a couple years ago. Aqib Talib also.

The got rid of Ogletree who was a good LB and a Safety or CB to the Dolphins so they don't keep everyone.

Adding John Sullivan at Center several years back was one of the best things they did.
Reply/Quote
It seems to me they're giving ZT a pretty big say in how things are going to go, see the coaching staff. Just how much say/power he's going to have in free agency, the draft, cutting players and on and on is hard to say ?

My guess at this point is quite a bit ! It appears MB has finally, really, let go of the reins. Will that change when the rubber meets the road ? My gut says no but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

We'll start seeing how it's gonna play out soon enough.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes, rebranding a once great product can put it over the top. Taylor may be the only answer we needed. Hope.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 06:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You might be right in entering into free agency for Rams being aggressive but not that successful overall when you look at players etc

They also traded for Brandon Cooks and Peters.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 03:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'll give you a serious answer. No one knows.

There was speculation when we started making the playoffs that Marvin was calling the shots. That Katie was. That Tobin was.

Then we started losing. Marvin goes. MB isn't on the search and people are all speculating that NOW Katie is officially in charge.

The Bengals tend to hide how they are managed.

Marvin was never really allowed to go out and add Tier A free agents. We may land a Tier B free agent or two.

The draft - Really don't see it changing much as we haven't added more scouts. I'm sure Taylor will lobby for people. They'll get some. Some will be picked by other people. Much like Marvin didn't want Ross.

Agreed. No way to know at this point.

We're just going to have to wait and see. It may go well, it may be so-so (which would be bad because we could have had that with Marvin) or it may be a dog's breakfast (which would send us to a worse season than last).

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 10:02 AM)BengalChris Wrote: They also traded for Brandon Cooks and Peters.

And former All-Pro Aquib Talib.
Reply/Quote
My concern is will we see what we are seeing with DC's.

Players came because they trusted Marvin, and Marvin had a good rep as a players coach etc.

Will ZT have that kind of pull early in his HC career? I'm thinking he'll have a tough time attracting Free Agents unfortunately.

We are back at square one as it relates to redefining the Bengals. Back to the pre Marvin era. The reputation "turn around" we thought we had accomplished thanks to Marvin pulling us out of the "dark era" was just that. Marvin. We are realizing without Marvin, all was lost and we are back where we were.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 10:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: My concern is will we see what we are seeing with DC's.

Players came because they trusted Marvin, and Marvin had a good rep as a players coach etc.

Will ZT have that kind of pull early in his HC career? I'm thinking he'll have a tough time attracting Free Agents unfortunately.

We are back at square one as it relates to redefining the Bengals. Back to the pre Marvin era. The reputation "turn around" we thought we had accomplished thanks to Marvin pulling us out of the "dark era" was just that. Marvin. We are realizing without Marvin, all was lost and we are back where we were.
Right.  Marvin.  I'm gonna go there and not win a playoff game.

There's one thing that brings in FA's--money.  If you pay, they will play.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
As much praise as the Rams get for trading, Watkins was just okay and Peters was more name than production. Talib had a decent year when he wasn't hurt. Cooks is really the one piece who they traded for that really paid off. Whitworth and Suh were nice signings though so there was that.

Again, not saying don't be aggressive but when you look at their aggressive moves they struck out or were pretty average returns most of the time.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 11:06 AM)McC Wrote: Right.  Marvin.  I'm gonna go there and not win a playoff game.

There's one thing that brings in FA's--money.  If you pay, they will play.

Well we know they aren't "paying" so if you aren't willing to overpay, then what's the selling point?

Marvin's rep as a HC and relationship with players around the league was just the selling point that bridged the differences.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 11:52 AM)jj22 Wrote: Well we know they aren't "paying" so if you aren't willing to overpay, then what's the selling point?

Marvin's rep as a HC and relationship with players around the league was just the selling point that bridged the differences.

Marv did have that rep as a players coach, so there is that.  But honestly, what awesome FA's did Marvin really attract?

It'll always be about money so I'm just holding out hope that this might be the year they pony up.  You know, the annual Bengal fans pipe dream? lol.

But I'm not, and I'm pretty sure, none of us are, talking about breaking the bank or trying to buy a championship.  Just get two starter quality, not over the hill players in or near their prime to take some of the pressure off the draft.  They did do it with Marvin when he first got here.  So that makes me hopeful.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 12:54 PM)McC Wrote: Marv did have that rep as a players coach, so there is that.  But honestly, what awesome FA's did Marvin really attract?

It'll always be about money so I'm just holding out hope that this might be the year they pony up.  You know, the annual Bengal fans pipe dream? lol.

But I'm not, and I'm pretty sure, none of us are, talking about breaking the bank or trying to buy a championship.  Just get two starter quality, not over the hill players in or near their prime to take some of the pressure off the draft.  They did do it with Marvin when he first got here.  So that makes me hopeful.

I thought the same thing. We tended to attract older guys who's current teams didn't want them...like Terrance Newman on 1 year deals. Newman then showed he still had something left in the tank here.

Odom was as close to a Tier B free agent as we signed and we probably slightly overpaid him. (He was also cheaper than Justin Smith.)

At this stage of the game, I'd take a veteran LB especially if we draft White.
Reply/Quote
I don't expect much this year. Next year after a full season, I could see a little more activity when it comes to free agency.

The only thing I hope Taylor empasizes is the importance of the O-line. That offense really didn't take off until Whit got there and held down the left side. Then the rest of the line really started to play well.
Reply/Quote
I don't expect much this year either. It will be more about player evaluation and i think finding a long term, franchise QB that will be tied to the hip with ZT.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 12:54 PM)McC Wrote: Marv did have that rep as a players coach, so there is that.  But honestly, what awesome FA's did Marvin really attract?

Yup

IMHO if the Dalton, AJ, Geno, Carlos, Gio era is to have any chance they have to get two top end FA's this offseason. I'm not talking about breaking the bank on the giant dollar very tip top guys.

Just a real starter quality OL and LBer
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 04:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see, but evidently they got along great in the interviewing process for Taylor to be the man from the get go.

With this organization that doesn't give me a fuzzy feeling.  A young inexperienced coach will take any opportunity to get the head gig.  Hope the Bengals didn't smell this blood and figure they'll have a new lap dog.

Why do I think this is the case....
Reply/Quote