Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Watt Blow Up Our Split O Line Plays ?
Putting both tackles out wide, 3 players on each wide side, leaves the QB and 4 other players near the ball being snapped. ...So it's a 3 or 4 man O line instead of 5 or 6.....Now Watt takes 2 or 3 guys to block him anyway....How do Bengals keep Watt from blowing these formations up ?........You would think a defense would go basketball and defend the passing lanes, a player on each side to step in and intercept any screen passes for a quick 6 for the D, as many others blow through the 3 or 4 man O line to nail the QB.  Still, I haven't seen defenses do that, afraid that if they don't get the basketball steal it's an easy TD for Bengals. Still, going 85 Bears on a 3 or 4 man O line would be tempting and doom for the QB, especially with a ball hawk on each side coming in on those passing lanes. Since the loaded up screen pass formations are telegraphing the play, why not jump the pass lanes as others  blow up the middle and the QB.  Unblocked D can be on the QB as soon as the ball is snapped, no time for a quality screen pass. .... I know he can audible the big tackles back in, but that takes time and sometimes the time clock runs out or a time out wasted.  ...anyway, a player like Watt could be a problem for these trick formations with not enough blockers left to block him and his fellow D linemen. 

Go Bengals, 9-0
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 01:19 PM)kevin Wrote: Putting both tackles out wide, 3 players on each wide side, leaves the QB and 4 other players near the ball being snapped. ...So it's a 3 or 4 man O line instead of 5 or 6.....Now Watt takes 2 or 3 guys to block him anyway....How do Bengals keep Watt from blowing these formations up ?........You would think a defense would go basketball and defend the passing lanes, a player on each side to step in and intercept any screen passes for a quick 6 for the D, as many others blow through the 3 or 4 man O line to nail the QB.  Still, I haven't seen defenses do that, afraid that if they don't get the basketball steal it's an easy TD for Bengals. Still, going 85 Bears on a 3 or 4 man O line would be tempting and doom for the QB, especially with a ball hawk on each side coming in on those passing lanes. Since the loaded up screen pass formations are telegraphing the play, why not jump the pass lanes as others  blow up the middle and the QB.  Unblocked D can be on the QB as soon as the ball is snapped, no time for a quality screen pass. .... I know he can audible the big tackles back in, but that takes time and sometimes the time clock runs out or a time out wasted.  ...anyway, a player like Watt could be a problem for these trick formations with not enough blockers left to block him and his fellow D linemen. 

Go Bengals, 9-0

Seems like the ball is out way too quickly for any DLineman to get anywhere near it.  Plus, it' thrown to  a receiver behind the line of scrimmage, which  means a DB couldn't get to it either.

The only real way it gets blown up is if a defender gets through the blockers and tackles the receiver behind the LOS.

If the defense sells out too much to the edges, they'll be giving up the middle of the field.  With this formation, at worst, the QB reads the D and throws the ball away or even hands off or runs himself.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This is one team I want to see that formation run against...at least once. Where is Watt? Go somewhere else. I would imagine he would take the middle and maybe a quick screen with blockers to one of the outsides? With as spread out as a defense is in that play, with only one man unblocked, if someone like Marvin Jones gets the reception with Whit and Sanu to block for him, he only has to make one man miss and he is gone.

While we are requesting plays, I would like to see the TE screen to Kroft, opposite side of the field of AJ and Eifert. I love that play and I want to see Kroft start getting involved in more than blocking....it would be one more thing for defenses to worry about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 01:19 PM)kevin Wrote: Putting both tackles out wide, 3 players on each wide side, leaves the QB and 4 other players near the ball being snapped. ...So it's a 3 or 4 man O line instead of 5 or 6.....Now Watt takes 2 or 3 guys to block him anyway....How do Bengals keep Watt from blowing these formations up ?........You would think a defense would go basketball and defend the passing lanes, a player on each side to step in and intercept any screen passes for a quick 6 for the D, as many others blow through the 3 or 4 man O line to nail the QB.  Still, I haven't seen defenses do that, afraid that if they don't get the basketball steal it's an easy TD for Bengals. Still, going 85 Bears on a 3 or 4 man O line would be tempting and doom for the QB, especially with a ball hawk on each side coming in on those passing lanes. Since the loaded up screen pass formations are telegraphing the play, why not jump the pass lanes as others  blow up the middle and the QB.  Unblocked D can be on the QB as soon as the ball is snapped, no time for a quality screen pass. .... I know he can audible the big tackles back in, but that takes time and sometimes the time clock runs out or a time out wasted.  ...anyway, a player like Watt could be a problem for these trick formations with not enough blockers left to block him and his fellow D linemen. 

Go Bengals, 9-0

There isn't a defensive lineman alive that can get to Dalton before he releases the ball to one of the receivers or hands the ball off.

They're not going to run conventional pass patterns out of that formation.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I dont know Kevin
Reply/Quote
I think even if Watt blows up plays, it doesn't necessarily mean a lot. I will never take anything away from Watt doing/being what he is. That being said, he has blown up plays this year and it hasn't changed the outcome of the game.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I believe Hue gets a little too cute with all those tackle splits.  The only valid reason I can think to keep doing that is to set up a different play off it come post-season.  Seems every single one of those plays has been a WR screen, which lately tends to gain little if anything.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 03:22 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I believe Hue gets a little too cute with all those tackle splits.  The only valid reason I can think to keep doing that is to set up a different play off it come post-season.  Seems every single one of those plays has been a WR screen, which lately tends to gain little if anything.

The screen pass is usually the correct play in that formation. Dalton looks to see if either side only has 2 defenders. If the defense spreads out with 3 on each side, then Dalton will bring everyone back to a normal formation.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Go Bengals, 9-0

nah man... Dalton will split the formation... Identify Watt and then throw the other way.
Reply/Quote
I think Hue has done a great job, and is certainly an interesting thinker to have at OC. I do sometimes think we get a little too much pastry going, when we could just keep matriculating that ball right on down the field. But it's all a part of the big picture that is Hue, and overall it's a pretty sweet picture, and I think he's still experimenting around a little.

I'll take him any day.
Reply/Quote
Matriculating?
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Pastry?
Reply/Quote