Poll: Will We Bring In FAs To Fix The Line?
No, We'll Roll With What We Have
Yes, We'll Make Moves
Too Early To Tell
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will We Bring In O-Linemen?
I have to go by what I saw with my eyes Thursday. And it was like night and day compared to last season. Yes some of the run blocking is still in need of work but the first team OL did NOT have defenders flying unblocked into the backfield. The point was held, plays given some time to develop and even though Mixon didn’t gain big yards on his three rushes there were no negative plays. And lest we forget that the Bears record last season was not an indication of the strength of their D (Ranked #7).

So is there still work to do? Yes definitely. But was it a good start? Yes definitely. They already look far superior to what they have looked like in either 2016 or 2017.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 12:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: I have to go by what I saw with my eyes Thursday. And it was like night and day compared to last season. Yes some of the run blocking is still in need of work but the first team OL did NOT have defenders flying unblocked into the backfield. The point was held, plays given some time to develop and even though Mixon didn’t gain big yards on his three rushes there were no negative plays. And lest we forget that the Bears record last season was not an indication of the strength of their D (Ranked #7).

So is there still work to do? Yes definitely. But was it a good start? Yes definitely. They already look far superior to what they have looked like in either 2016 or 2017.

This is what i love to hear. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 12:08 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Are you another Lord Pollack fan that believes that Pollack is also a GM and gets everything he wants? The head coach has trouble getting what he wants here. I’m sure that king Pollack will get anything he ask for though, being a line coach and all. His miracle work with the 2 young tackles hasn’t happened yet. I’m still waiting on that prediction that many on here stated. It’s the weirdest love affair with a coach that I’ve ever seen.

Open your eyes the O-line is clearly night and day from last season.

PA was terrible and was more of a hinderance to this team than anybody probably will ever know.

Pollack coached the best O-line in the NFL and watching this O-line the first Preseason game it held up against a
Defense that was 7th in the NFL last year with a pretty bad Offense so they were on the field all the time. If you
cannot see what is going on and don't understand the excitement of moving on from Piano Heinz 57 Man to Frank
Pollack i don't know what to say to you.

Weird you don't see what is going on honestly.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 12:08 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Are you another Lord Pollack fan that believes that Pollack is also a GM and gets everything he wants? The head coach has trouble getting what he wants here. I’m sure that king Pollack will get anything he ask for though, being a line coach and all. His miracle work with the 2 young tackles hasn’t happened yet. I’m still waiting on that prediction that many on here stated. It’s the weirdest love affair with a coach that I’ve ever seen.

1 it has only been 1 preseason game.

2 the line looked better, but definitely not where we want it to be, as I have stated.

3 you have to consider that the first preseason game was their first time playing against players other than their own teammates, which is what they're used to.  You don't think Pollack has studied that film up and down to find out what his line's problems were, along with their strengths, and do you not think he has shown them and is working his ass off to get them to fix those problems?

I just thought of that last part, but it might be the biggest thing that I think Pollack will do here: notice weaknesses and work with players to improve them (and also move players if need-be).  That was a big weakness of PA (imco) and we all know it has been a weakness of Marvin, and that's a failure to notice a problem and work to fix it or adapt to new situations/needs.  

That whole point about it being the first time they've faced new competition under Pollack does give me a bit of optimism that we will see the line perform better (perhaps a lot better, or maybe just a bit better each week of the preseason).
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 04:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: 1 it has only been 1 preseason game.

2 the line looked better, but definitely not where we want it to be, as I have stated.

3 you have to consider that the first preseason game was their first time playing against players other than their own teammates, which is what they're used to.  You don't think Pollack has studied that film up and down to find out what his line's problems were, along with their strengths, and do you not think he has shown them and is working his ass off to get them to fix those problems?

I just thought of that last part, but it might be the biggest thing that I think Pollack will do here: notice weaknesses and work with players to improve them (and also move players if need-be).  That was a big weakness of PA (imco) and we all know it has been a weakness of Marvin, and that's a failure to notice a problem and work to fix it or adapt to new situations/needs.  

That whole point about it being the first time they've faced new competition under Pollack does give me a bit of optimism that we will see the line perform better (perhaps a lot better, or maybe just a bit better each week of the preseason).

Circleville is always astonished by the way tons of us like Pollack.

If you don't look at the guy that was here before i guess it is perplexing.

But if you look at what PA did the last couple of years and what Pollack did the last couple of years it is anything but...
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: PA was terrible and was more of a hinderance to this team than anybody probably will ever know.

What secret information do you have that no one else will ever know?
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 04:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: But if you look at what PA did the last couple of years and what Pollack did the last couple of years it is anything but...

They both lost their jobs because the teams they worked for felt they were not doing a good enough job.

So what is your point?
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 05:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They both lost their jobs because the teams they worked for felt they were not doing a good enough job.

So what is your point?

Dallas cleaned house with pretty much all of their coaches, so, unless he was the Vince Lombardi of offensive line coaches, Pollack's firing really doesn't reflect negatively on his coaching abilities.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What secret information do you have that no one else will ever know?

He never said that he knew or would ever know.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 05:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He never said that he knew or would ever know.

Yes he did.  He said he knew that PA was more of a problem than "Anybody probably will ever know".  He has to have some knowledge to make a claim like that.

(08-13-2018, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: PA was terrible and was more of a hinderance to this team than anybody probably will ever know.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes he did.  He said he knew that PA was more of a problem than "Anybody probably will ever know".  He has to have some knowledge to make a claim like that.

Or he can just have common sense, like the line struggling in run blocking.

Only three times in the past 12 years have the Bengals been able to generate running back production of at least four yards per carry..

Or how they've struggled in pass blocking the past 3 years:

Where they ranked 20th, 26th, and 15th.
Reply/Quote
Back on topic please.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What secret information do you have that no one else will ever know?

Just my opinion, you have yours now don't you Freddy?

Let me have mine, i stand by it.

(08-13-2018, 05:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They both lost their jobs because the teams they worked for felt they were not doing a good enough job.

So what is your point?

Jerry Jones just cleaned house for the sake of cleaning house. He made a big mistake letting Pollack go, just watch.

(08-13-2018, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes he did.  He said he knew that PA was more of a problem than "Anybody probably will ever know".  He has to have some knowledge to make a claim like that.

Probably, probably Fred. Lets just see how much better our Line looks this year and how much worse the Dallas
line falls off shall we? Heard the Dallas line gave up a sack on their first snap in their first Preseason game BTW.

Hilarious

Love it. Back to the thread, i still think we will bring in a OT if both Og and Fisher continue to struggle.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 05:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Or he can just have common sense, like the line struggling in run blocking.

Only three times in the past 12 years have the Bengals been able to generate running back production of at least four yards per carry..

Or how they've struggled in pass blocking the past 3 years:

Where they ranked 20th, 26th, and 15th.

Spot on Brad. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 09:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Given how this offseason has seemed like we're going all-in to win now and like we've been making moves to try and improve the roster, if the line doesn't show enough improvement over the next few preseason games, will we bring in any free agents to try and strengthen the weak areas on the line?  Would we make moves after last cuts?

Not everyone sees the line as too bad, and maybe it's not, but we can't do anything without protection for Andy to throw the ball, and teams mostly play vanilla defense in the preseason, so, if they struggle now, they'll seriously be eaten alive in the regular season.

Edit:  I just realized that I put "to early to tell" instead of "too early," so if a mod could fix that for me, I'd appreciate it  ThumbsUp

The O Line was getting it done in 1st quarter of preseason game one with starters in game.  However if the O Line starts to fail, I can see this O Line coach from Dallas cutting people and bringing in someone he might want when teams make many cuts to reach regular season limit. Maybe someone cut by a team to get under the salary cap in time.  I don't care how they do it, just do it.  You can't win without blocking, no team can.  Again, the blocking was there preseason game one, but Too Early To Tell.  Preseason Game 3 is when all teams give the regulars a long game to get ready for 2 weeks later to start season. Preseason Game 3 will show how things are going on this team.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I won't be surprised if they bring in a RT. It would surprise me if they bring in a Guard. Surely with the stable of guards we have, someone will step up and be able to play the right side. The one statement that has me really excited about Pollock is when he basically said it was a competition to get the starting spot, and then a competition to KEEP it. No more anointed starters....  do the job or ride the pine.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2018, 08:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I won't be surprised if they bring in a RT. It would surprise me if they bring in a Guard. Surely with the stable of guards we have, someone will step up and be able to play the right side. The one statement that has me really excited about Pollock is when he basically said it was a competition to get the starting spot, and then a competition to KEEP it. No more anointed starters....  do the job or ride the pine.

Same here, haven't heard that from our O-line coach before....
Reply/Quote
I am always open to bringing it a great OT, but just like the 2018 draft, who might that be as many teams are looking for answers at OT for a reason.

So, to stay on point, I say no, we don't bring in an OT, not because we don't need one, but a starting caliber OT won't be available so Pollack will have to find one in house.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2018, 06:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am always open to bringing it a great OT, but just like the 2018 draft, who might that be as many teams are looking for answers at OT for a reason.

So, to stay on point, I say no, we don't bring in an OT, not because we don't need one, but a starting caliber OT won't be available so Pollack will have to find one in house.

Well i think either Og or Fisher better be playing better for us not to get an OT come cut down day.

Just happy Hart showed up and played decent.
Reply/Quote